Matthew Olszta has been working at PNNL for nearly 15 years, performing high-end electron microscopy characterization on a wide variety of materials, including structural materials to secure a safer future for our nuclear fleet, to helping elucidate the complex nanostructures of carbon rods utilized in next generation cooling systems. He has constantly pushed to develop interweaving networking groups both for early career staff members, as well as the electron microscopy community at large. Olszta’s vision is to improve ways to teach and mentor staff through development of virtual reality for scientific instrumentation. His development of nanocartography protocols for the transmission electron microscope have drastically improved data collection and analysis, and is currently being developed into a stand-alone software platform that all electron microscopists can use for performing more meticulous microscopy.
Olszta is involved in a variety of projects at PNNL. He believes all research groups should have access to high-end electron microscopy capabilities. While his major thrust areas include analysis of corrosion in nuclear grade stainless steels, as well as alloys for consolidated processing techniques, his varied experience throughout his career, from bio-materials to solid oxide fuel cells (SOFCs) to vitrification of low activity waste (LAW) glasses, gives him a unique outlook and approach to collaboration. By approaching analysis through a first principles basis, he is able to quickly assess the necessary research goals for a specific project and also provide insight into what more can be achieved, thereby possibly elucidating a greater breadth to expand current research. One of his main goals is to educate non-microscopists about the limitations of the technique, as well as help guide their research so they can obtain the information they need.
- PhD in Materials Science and Engineering, University of Florida
- BS in Materials Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign
- Peng B., K.G. Rappe, Y. Cui, F. Gao, J. Szanyi, M.J. Olszta, and E.D. Walter, et al. 2020. "Enhancement of high-temperature selectivity on Cu-SSZ-13 towards NH3-SCR reaction from highly dispersed ZrO2." Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 263. PNNL-SA-146190. doi:10.1016/j.apcatb.2019.118359
- Riley B.J., S. Chong, M.J. Olszta, and J.A. Peterson. 2020. "Evaluation of getter metals in Na-Al-Si-O aerogels and xerogels for the capture of iodine gas." ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 12, no. 17:19682-19692. PNNL-SA-146084. doi:10.1021/acsami.0c03155
- Jiang W., M.A. Conroy, K. Kruska, M.J. Olszta, T.C. Droubay, J.M. Schwantes, and C.A. Taylor, et al. 2019. "In situ Study of Particle Precipitation in Metal-doped CeO2 during Thermal Treatment and Ion Irradiation for Emulation of Irradiating Fuels." Journal of Physical Chemistry C 123, no. 4:2591-2601. PNNL-SA-139442. doi:10.1021/acs.jpcc.8b11027
- Lee K., B.J. Riley, H. Park, J. Choi, S. Han, J. Hur, and J.A. Peterson, et al. 2019. "Investigation of physical and chemical properties for upgraded SAP (SiO2-Al2O3-P2O5) waste form to immobilize radioactive waste salt." Journal of Nuclear Materials 515, no. 2019:382-391. PNNL-SA-130870. doi:10.1016/j.jnucmat.2019.01.004
- Li X., N.R. Overman, T.J. Roosendaal, M.J. Olszta, C. Zhou, H. Wang, and T.A. Perry, et al. 2019. "Microstructure and mechanical properties of pure copper wire produced by shear assisted processing and extrusion." JOM. The Journal of the Minerals, Metals and Materials Society 71, no. 12:4799-4805. PNNL-SA-147051. doi:10.1007/s11837-019-03752-w
- Murugesan V., J. Cho, N. Govind, A. Andersen, M.J. Olszta, K. Han, and G. Li, et al. 2019. "Lithium Insertion Mechanism in Iron Fluoride Nanoparticles Prepared by Catalytic Decomposition of Fluoropolymer." ACS Applied Energy Materials 2, no. 3:1832-1843. PNNL-SA-138144. doi:10.1021/acsaem.8b01983
- Olszta M.J., Z. Zhai, M.B. Toloczko, and S.M. Bruemmer. 2019. "Examination of Cavity Formation in Cold-Worked Alloy 690." In 19th International Conference on Environmental Degradation of Materials in Nuclear Power Systems - Water Reactors, (EnvDeg 2019), August 18-22, 2019, Boston, MA, 274-285. La Grange Park, Illinois:American Nuclear Society. PNNL-SA-145060.
- Thompson M.R., B.J. Riley, M.E. Bowden, M.J. Olszta, D.J. Edwards, J.V. Crum, and B.R. Johnson, et al. 2019. "Crystal structure and chemistry of tricadmium digermanium tetraarsenide, Cd3Ge2As4." Acta Crystallographica. Section E: Structure Reports Online E75. PNNL-SA-144599. doi:10.1107/S2056989019010636
- Zhai Z., M.J. Olszta, M.B. Toloczko, and S.M. Bruemmer. 2019. "Crack Initiation Behavior of Cold-Worked Alloy 690 in Simulated PWR Primary Water - Role of Starting Microstructure, Applied Stress and Cold Work on Precursor Damage Evolution." In 19th International Conference on Environmental Degradation of Materials in Nuclear Power Systems - Water Reactors, (EnvDeg 2019), August 18-22, 2019, Boston, MA, 373-385. La Grange Park, Illinois:American Nuclear Society. PNNL-SA-145209.
- Badwe N., X. Chen, D.K. Schreiber, M.J. Olszta, N.R. Overman, E.K. Karasz, and A.Y. Tse, et al. 2018. "Decoupling the role of stress and corrosion in the intergranular cracking of noble-metal alloys." Nature Materials 17, no. 10:887-893. PNNL-SA-138538. doi:10.1038/s41563-018-0162-x
- Bruemmer S.M., M.J. Olszta, M.B. Toloczko, and D.K. Schreiber. 2018. "Grain Boundary Selective Oxidation and Intergranular Stress Corrosion Crack Growth of High-Purity Nickel Binary Alloys in High-Temperature Hydrogenated Water." Corrosion Science 131. PNNL-SA-129070. doi:10.1016/j.corsci.2017.11.024
- Reza E Rabby M., K.A. Ross, N.R. Overman, M.J. Olszta, M. Mcdonnell, and S.A. Whalen. 2018. "Joining Thick Section Aluminum to Steel with Suppressed FeAl Intermetallic Formation via Friction Stir Dovetailing." Scripta Materialia 148. PNNL-SA-131279. doi:10.1016/j.scriptamat.2018.01.026
- Overman N.R., S.A. Whalen, M.E. Bowden, M.J. Olszta, K. Kruska, T. Clark, and E.L. Stevens, et al. 2017. "Homogenization and Texture Development in Rapidly Solidified AZ91E Consolidated by Shear Assisted Processing and Extrusion (ShAPE)." Materials Science and Engineering. A. Structural Materials: Properties, Microstructure and Processing 701. PNNL-SA-122981. doi:10.1016/j.msea.2017.06.062
- Riley B.J., J.O. Kroll, J.A. Peterson, J. Matyas, M.J. Olszta, X.S. Li, and J.D. Vienna. 2017. "Silver-loaded aluminosilicate aerogels as iodine sorbents." ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 9, no. 38:32907-32919. PNNL-SA-126525. doi:10.1021/acsami.7b10290
- Zhai Z., M.B. Toloczko, M.J. Olszta, and S.M. Bruemmer. 2017. "Stress Corrosion Crack Initiation of Alloy 600 in PWR Primary Water." Corrosion Science 123. PNNL-SA-123949. doi:10.1016/j.corsci.2017.04.013
- Luo L., L. Zou, D.K. Schreiber, M.J. Olszta, D.R. Baer, S.M. Bruemmer, and G. Zhou, et al. 2016. "In Situ Atomic Scale Visualization Of Surface Kinetics Driven Dynamics Of Oxide Growth On A Ni-Cr Surface." Chemical Communications 52, no. 16:3300-3303. PNNL-SA-111555. doi:10.1039/c5cc09165a
- Nune S.K., D. Lao, D.J. Heldebrant, J. Liu, M.J. Olszta, R.K. Kukkadapu, and L.M. Gordon, et al. 2016. "Anomalous Water Expulsion from Carbon-Based Rods at High Humidity." Nature Nanotechnology 11, no. 9:791-797. PNNL-SA-112991. doi:10.1038/nnano.2016.91
- Zhu Y., C.J. Munro, M.J. Olszta, D.J. Edwards, A.B. Braunschweig, M.R. Knecht, and N.D. Browning. 2016. "Dose-rate controlled energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopic mapping of the metallic components in a biohybrid nanosystem." Semiconductor Science and Technology 31, no. 8:Article No. 084002. PNNL-SA-116408. doi:10.1088/0268-1242/31/8/084002
- Nune S.K., P.K. Thallapally, B.P. McGrail, H.V. Annapureddy, L.X. Dang, D. Mei, and N.K. Karri, et al. 2015. "Adsorption Kinetics in Nanoscale Porous Coordination Polymers." ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 7, no. 39:21712-21716. PNNL-SA-104104. doi:10.1021/acsami.5b04109
- Toloczko M.B., M.J. Olszta, N.R. Overman, and S.M. Bruemmer. 2015. "STRESS CORROSION CRACK GROWTH RESPONSE FOR ALLOY 152/52 DISSIMILAR METAL WELDS IN PWR PRIMARY WATER." In Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Environmental Degradation of Materials in Nuclear Power Systems - Water Reactors, August 11-15, 2016, Asheville, North Carolina. Houston, Texas:NACE International. PNNL-SA-97399.
- Wang C.M., D.K. Schreiber, M.J. Olszta, D.R. Baer, and S.M. Bruemmer. 2015. "Direct In-situ TEM Observation Of Modification Of Oxidation By The Injected Vacancies For Ni-4Al Alloy Using A Microfabricated Nanopost." ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 7, no. 31:17272-17277. PNNL-SA-110747. doi:10.1021/acsami.5b04341
- Yan P., J. Zheng, D. Lv, Y. Wei, J. Zheng, Z. Wang, and S. Kuppan, et al. 2015. "Atomic-Resolution Visualization of Distinctive Chemical Mixing Behavior of Ni, Co and Mn with Li in Layered Lithium Transition-Metal Oxide Cathode Materials." Chemistry of Materials 27, no. 15:5393-5401. PNNL-SA-110714. doi:10.1021/acs.chemmater.5b02016
- Crum J.V., V. Maio, J.S. McCloy, C. Scott, B.J. Riley, B. Benefiel, and J.D. Vienna, et al. 2014. "Cold Crucible Induction Melter Studies for Making Glass Ceramic Waste Forms: A Feasibility Assessment." Journal of Nuclear Materials 444, no. 1-3:481-492. PNNL-SA-95078. doi:10.1016/j.jnucmat.2013.10.029
- Cui J., J. Choi, G. Li, E. Polikarpov, J.T. Darsell, N.R. Overman, and M.J. Olszta, et al. 2014. "Thermal Stability of MnBi Magnetic Materials." Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter 26, no. 6:Article No. 064212. PNNL-SA-97263. doi:10.1088/0953-8984/26/6/064212
- Overman N.R., M.B. Toloczko, M.J. Olszta, and S.M. Bruemmer. 2014. "STRAIN CORRELATIONS IN ALLOY 690 MATERIALS USING ELECTRON BACKSCATTER DIFFRACTION AND VICKERS HARDNESS." In Corrosion 2014, March 9-13, 2014, San Antonio, Texas, Paper No. NACE-2014-4453. Houston, Texas:NACE International. PNNL-SA-99738.
- Riley B.J., J.S. Mccloy, J.V. Crum, W.C. Lepry, C.P. Rodriguez, C.F. Windisch, and J. Matyas, et al. 2014. Alternative Electrochemical Salt Waste Forms, Summary of FY11-FY12 Results. PNNL-22034 Rev. 1. Richland, WA: Pacific Northwest National Laboratory. Alternative Electrochemical Salt Waste Forms, Summary of FY11-FY12 Results
- Schreiber D.K., M.J. Olszta, and S.M. Bruemmer. 2014. "Grain boundary depletion and migration during selective oxidation of Cr in a Ni-5Cr binary alloy exposed to high-temperature hydrogenated water." Scripta Materialia 89. PNNL-SA-102624. doi:10.1016/j.scriptamat.2014.06.022
- Gamalski A.D., D.E. Perea, J. Yoo, N. Li, M.J. Olszta, R.J. Colby, and D.K. Schreiber, et al. 2013. "Catalyst Composition and Impurity-dependent Kinetics of Nanowire Heteroepitaxy." ACS Nano 7, no. 9:7689-7697. PNNL-SA-95600. doi:10.1021/nn402208p
- McCloy J.S., B.J. Riley, A.S. Lipton, C.F. Windisch, N.M. Washton, M.J. Olszta, and C.P. Rodriguez. 2013. "Structure and Chemistry in Halide Lead-Tellurite Glasses." Journal of Physical Chemistry C 117, no. 7:3456-3466. PNNL-SA-91103. doi:10.1021/jp310820t
- Riley B.J., J. Chun, W. Um, W.C. Lepry, J. Matyas, M.J. Olszta, and X. Li, et al. 2013. "Chalcogen-Based Aerogels as Sorbents for Radionuclide Remediation." Environmental Science & Technology 47, no. 13:7540-7547. PNNL-SA-93370. doi:10.1021/es400595z
- Schreiber D.K., M.J. Olszta, and S.M. Bruemmer. 2013. "Directly correlated transmission electron microscopy and atom probe tomography of grain boundary oxidation in a Ni-Al binary alloy exposed to high-temperature water." Scripta Materialia 69, no. 7:509-512. PNNL-SA-96103. doi:10.1016/j.scriptamat.2013.06.008
- Schreiber D.K., M.J. Olszta, D.W. Saxey, K. Kruska, K.L. Moore, S. Lozano-Perez, and S.M. Bruemmer. 2013. "Examinations of Oxidation and Sulfidation of Grain Boundaries in Alloy 600 Exposed to Simulated Pressurized Water Reactor Primary Water." Microscopy and Microanalysis 19, no. 3:676-687. PNNL-21595. doi:10.1017/S1431927613000421
- Toloczko M.B., M.J. Olszta, N.R. Overman, and S.M. Bruemmer. 2013. "OBSERVATIONS AND IMPLICATIONS OF INTERGRANULAR STRESS CORROSION CRACK GROWTH OF ALLOY 152 WELD METALS IN SIMULATED PWR PRIMARY WATER." In Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Environmental Degradation of Materials in Nuclear Power Systems - Water Reactors, August 11-15, 2013, Asheville, North Carolina. Houston, Texas:NACE International. PNNL-SA-97397.
- Bruemmer S.M., M.B. Toloczko, and M.J. Olszta. 2012. Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Investigation of the Stress Corrosion Cracking in Nickel-Base Alloys, Volume 2. PNNL-20915; NUREG/CR-7103 Vol.2. Richland, WA: Pacific Northwest National Laboratory. Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Investigation of the Stress Corrosion Cracking in Nickel-Base Alloys, Volume 2
- Bruemmer S.M., M.J. Olszta, M.B. Toloczko, and L.E. Thomas. 2012. "Linking Grain Boundary Microstructure to Stress Corrosion Cracking of Cold Rolled Alloy 690 in PWR Primary Water." In CORROSION 2012 Conference & Expo, March 11-15, 2012, Salt Lake City, Utah, 7, 5912-5927. Houston, Texas:NACE International. PNNL-SA-85363.
- Olszta M.J., D.K. Schreiber, L.E. Thomas, and S.M. Bruemmer. 2012. "High-Resolution Crack Imaging Reveals Degradation Processes in Nuclear Reactor Structural Materials." Advanced Materials & Processes 170, no. 4:17-21. PNNL-SA-85475.
- Strachan D.M., E.C. Buck, K.T. Mueller, J.M. Schwantes, M.J. Olszta, S. Thevuthasan, and R.M. Heeren. 2011. Analytical Plan for Roman Glasses. PNNL-20204. Richland, WA: Pacific Northwest National Laboratory. Analytical Plan for Roman Glasses
- Bruemmer S.M., M.B. Toloczko, M.J. Olszta, R.J. Seffens, and P.G. Efsing. 2009. "CHARACTERIZATION OF DEFECTS IN ALLOY 152, 52 AND 52M WELDS." In 14th International Conference on Environmental Degradation of Materials in Nuclear Power Systems, August 23-27, 2009, Virginia Beach, Virginia, 319-332. La Grange Park, Illinois:American Nuclear Society. PNNL-SA-67526.