Darrell Herling is a program manager for the transportation materials and manufacturing portfolios at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL), where he has been a key technical and organizational leader for over 25 years. He is also the Director of the U.S. Department of Energy’s Lightweight Materials Consortium (LightMAT). Herling holds a Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering, emphasizing applied mechanics of materials and materials processing, and has served in multiple positions as chief engineer and director responsible for the development of lightweight materials and manufacturing technologies for transportation and industrial markets. Herling has authored or contributed to more than 50 publications and holds seven U.S. and four foreign patents. He also has won a number of awards, including three R&D 100 awards, four Federal Laboratory Consortium awards and a Financial Times award for best technology, for his work to develop and deploy innovative technologies and manufacturing processes for the defense and transportation markets.
- Master of Science, Mechanical Engineering, Washington State University
- Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering, Washington State University
- U.S. Patent No. 8,889,097, November 18, 2014, "Combined on-board hydride slurry storage and reactor system and process for hydrogen-powered vehicles and devices".
- U.S. Patent No. 7,435,760, October 14, 2008, "Method of Generating Hydrocarbon Reagents from Diesel, Natural Gas and other Logistical Fuels".
- Kulkarni S.S., V. Gupta, A. Ortiz, H. Das, P. Upadhyay, E.I. Barker, and D.R. Herling. 2021. "Determining cohesive parameters for modeling interfacial fracture in dissimilar-metal friction stir welded joints." International Journal of Solids and Structures 216. PNNL-SA-153218. doi:10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2021.01.023
- Szanyi J., A.M. Karim, L.R. Pederson, J. Kwak, D. Mei, D.N. Tran, and D.R. Herling, et al. 2014. "Investigation of Mixed Oxide Catalysts for NO Oxidation." In FY 2014 Progress Report for Advanced Combustion Engine Research and Development, edited by G Singh. III-25 - III-29. Washington, Dc:US Department of Energy, Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, Vehicle Technologies Office. PNNL-24151.
- Devarakonda M.N., D.R. Herling, D. Kim, J. Kwak, C.H. Peden, M.L. Stewart, and A. Strzelec, et al. 2012. "CLEERS Aftertreatment Modeling and Analysis." In FY 2011 Progress Report for Advanced Combustion Engine Research and Development: Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Vehicle Technologies Program, edited by G Singh. 176-181. Washington Dc:US Department of Energy. PNNL-20935.
- Devarakonda M.N., R.G. Tonkyn, D.N. Tran, J.H. Lee, and D.R. Herling. 2011. "Modeling Species Inhibition of NO Oxidation in Urea-SCR Catalysts for Diesel Engine NOx Control." Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power. 133, no. 9:Article No. 092805. PNNL-SA-75345.
- Brooks K.P., M.N. Devarakonda, S.D. Rassat, D.A. King, and D.R. Herling. 2010. "SYSTEMS MODELING OF AMMONIA BORANE BEAD REACTOR FOR OFF-BOARD REGENERABLE HYDROGEN STORAGE IN PEM FUEL CELL APPLICATIONS." In Proceedings of the ASME 2010 Eighth International Fuel Cell Science, Engineering and Technology Conference (FuelCell2010), 1, 729-734. New York, New York:American Society of Mechanical Engineers. PNNL-SA-71490.
- Devarakonda M.N., J.D. Holladay, K.P. Brooks, S.D. Rassat, and D.R. Herling. 2010. "Dynamic Modeling and Simulation Based Analysis of an Ammonia Borane (AB) Reactor System for Hydrogen Storage." ECS Transactions 33, no. 1:1959 - 1972. PNNL-SA-73748. doi:10.1149/1.3484687
- Devarakonda M.N., R.G. Tonkyn, and D.R. Herling. 2010. "Hydrocarbon Effect on a Fe-zeolite Urea-SCR Catalyst: An Experimental and Modeling Study." In Diesel Exhaust Emission Control, SP-2287: SAE 2010 World Congress & Exhibition, April, 2010, Detroit, Michigan, Paper No.: 2010-01-1171. Warrendale, Pennsylvania:SAE International. PNNL-SA-68448. doi:10.4271/2010-01-1171
- Devarakonda M.N., R.G. Tonkyn, D.N. Tran, J.H. Lee, and D.R. Herling. 2010. "MODELING COMPETITIVE ADSORPTION IN UREA-SCR CATALYSTS FOR EFFECTIVE LOW TEMPERATURE NOX CONTROL." In Proceedings of ASME 2010 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition (IMECE 2010), Paper No. IMECE 2010-39977. New York, New York:ASME. PNNL-SA-73460.
- Devarakonda M.N., R.G. Tonkyn, D.N. Tran, J.H. Lee, and D.R. Herling. 2010. "Modeling Species Inhibition of NO oxidation in Urea-SCR Catalysts for Diesel Engine NOx Control." In Proceedings of the ASME 2010 Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference, Paper No. ICEF2010-35054. New York, New York:American Society of Mechanical Engineers. PNNL-SA-72137.
- Devarakonda M.N., D. Kim, J. Kwak, J.H. Lee, C.H. Peden, M.L. Stewart, and J. Szanyi, et al. 2009. "CLEERS Aftertreatment Modeling and Analysis." In FY 2009 Progress Report for Advanced Combustion Engine Research and Development. 155-163. Washington, D.C.:Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy. PNNL-SA-69246.
- Rohatgi A., D.R. Herling, and E.A. Nyberg. 2009. "CHARACTERIZATION AND FORMABILITY OF CONTINUOUS-CAST AZ31B MAGNESIUM ALLOY SHEETS." In Magnesium Technology 2010, edited by SR Agnew, NR Neelameggham, EA Nyberg and WH Sillekens, 573-578. Warrendale, Pennsylvania:TMS. PNNL-SA-68612.
- Yang J., M. Stewart, G.D. Maupin, D.R. Herling, and A. Zelenyuk. 2009. "Single Wall Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Filtration Efficiency Studies Using Laboratory Generated Particles." Chemical Engineering Science 64, no. 8:1625-1634. PNNL-SA-61303.
- Ozensoy E., D.R. Herling, and J. Szanyi. 2008. "NOx Reduction on a Transition Metal-free ?-Al2O3 Catalyst Using Dimethylether (DME)." Catalysis Today 136, no. 1-2:46-54. PNNL-SA-56943.
- Hong S., and D.R. Herling. 2007. "Aluminum Foam-Phase Change Material Composites as Heat Exchangers." In SAE 2007 World Congress & Exhibition, SP-2105, 2007-01-0419. Warrendale, Pennsylvania:Society of Automotive Engineers. PNNL-SA-52080.
- Hong S., and D.R. Herling. 2007. "EFFECTS OF SURFACE AREA DENSITY OF ALUMINUM FOAMS ON THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY OF ALUMINUM FOAM-PHASE CHANGE MATERIAL COMPOSITES." Advanced Engineering Materials 9, no. 7:554-557. PNNL-SA-53707. doi:10.1002/adem.200700023
- Jana s., R.S. Mishra, H.N. Chou, and D.R. Herling. 2007. "FRICTION STIR MICROSTRUCTURAL MODIFICATION OF INVESTMENT CAST F357." In Friction Stir Welding and Processing IV, 439-448. Warrendale, Pa:TMS. PNNL-SA-52708.
- Mishra R.S., S. Webb, T.A. Freeney, Y.L. Chen, X. Gayden, G.J. Grant, and D.R. Herling. 2007. "FRICTION STIR SPOT WELDING OF 6016 ALUMINUM ALLOY." In Friction Stir Welding and Processing IV, 341-348. Warrendale, Pa:TMS. PNNL-SA-52682.
- Grant G.J., D.R. Herling, W.J. Arbegast, C.D. Allen, and C.M. Degen. 2006. "Superplastic Forming of Aluminum Multisheet Structures Fabricated Using Friction Stir Welding and Refill Friction Stir Spot Welding." In 6th International Symposium on Friction Stir Welding, October 10-13, 2006 Saint-Sauveur, Canada, 52. Cambridge:TWI Limited. PNNL-SA-53238.
- Hong S., and D.R. Herling. 2006. "Open-Cell Aluminum Foams Filled With Phase Change Materials as Compact Heat Sinks." Scripta Materialia 55, no. 10:887-890. PNNL-SA-50793.
- Howard S.M., B.K. Jasthi, W.J. Arbegast, G.J. Grant, S.K. Koduri, D.R. Herling, and D.S. Gelles. 2005. "Friction Stir Welding Of Ma957 Oxide Dispersion Strengthened Ferritic Steel." In Fusion Materials Semi-Annual Report for the period ending December 31, 2004, DOE/ER-0313/37. 55-60. Oak Ridge, Tennessee:Oak Ridge National Laboratory. PNNL-SA-44740.
- Herling D.R., and W. Hunt. 2004. "Low Cost Cast Aluminum Metal Matrix Composites Have Arrived." In Affordable Metal Matrix Composites for High Performance Applications II; Chicago, 9-12 November 2003., 13-23. Warrendale, Pennsylvania:Minerals, Metals & Materials Society. PNNL-SA-39566.
- Hunt W., and D.R. Herling. 2004. "Aluminum Metal Matrix Composites." Advanced Materials & Processes 162, no. 2:39-44. PNNL-SA-39568.
- Hunt W., and D.R. Herling. 2004. "Metal Matrix Composites." Advanced Materials & Processes 162, no. 2:39-42. PNNL-SA-40373.
- Muntean G.G., D.R. Rector, D.R. Herling, M.A. Khaleel, and D.L. Lessor. 2004. "Lattice-Boltzmann Diesel Particulate Filter Sub-Grid Modeling - A Progress Report." In Diesel Emission Measurement and Modeling : SAE 2003 World Congress & Exhibition, March 2003, Detroit, MI, USA., SP-1755, 2003-01-0835. Warrendale, Pennsylvania:SAE International. PNNL-SA-37791.
- Sun X., E.V. Stephens, and D.R. Herling. 2004. "Static and Fatigue Strength Evaluations for Bolted Composite/Steel Joints for Heavy Vehicle Chassis Components." In 4th Annual SPE Automotive Composites Conference, Commercial Transport Session, Paper No. 3, 1-14. Brookfield, Connecticut:Society of Plastics Engineers. PNNL-SA-42134.
- Herling D.R., and L. Klett. 2003. "Joining Composite Chassis Components on Heavy Trucks." In 3rd Annual SPE Automotive Composites Conference, September 9-10, 2003, Troy, Michigan, 4 pages. Newton, Connecticut:Society of Plastics Engineers. PNNL-SA-39576.
- Grant G.J., D.E. Mccready, D.R. Herling, and M.T. Smith. 2001. "Interfacial Reactions at Elevated Temperatures in New Low-Cost AL/SiC Metal Matrix Composite." In Affordable metal-matrix composites for high performance applications, edited by Ab Pandey, KL Kendig, TJ Watson, 233-250. Warrendale, Pennsylvania:The minerals, metals and materials society. PNNL-SA-35130.
- Herling D.R., and M.T. Smith. 2000. "SUPERPLASTIC MICROSTRUCTURE OF MODIFIED AA-5083 ALUMINUM ALLOY PROCESSED BY EQUAL CHANNEL ANGULAR EXTRUSION." In Ultrafine Grained Materials: Proceedings of a Symposium held during the 2000 TMS Annual Meeting, edited by RS Mishra, 411-420. Warrendale, Pennsylvania:TMS. PNNL-SA-32379.
- Herling D.R., M.R. Smith, and M.D. Hemingway. 2000. "Cylindrical Corona Reactors for a Plasma Assisted Nitrogen Oxide Emission Reduction Device." In Advanced Propulsion & Emission Technology: Proceedings of the Global Powertrain Congress, edited by D Roessler, 15, 91-102. Warren, Michigan:Global Powertrain Congress, Ltd. PNWD-SA-5048.
- Herling D.R., M.R. Smith, M.D. Hemingway, D. Goulette, and T.W. Silvis. 2000. "Evaluation of Corona Reactors of Several Geometries for a Plasma Assisted Nitrogen Oxide Emission Reduction Device." In SAE International Fall Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exposition, 2000-01-2899. Warrendale, Pennsylvania:Society of Automobile Engineers. PNNL-SA-33505.
- Herling D.R., M.R. Smith, S. Baskaran, and J. Kupe. 2000. "Application of Non-Thermal Plasma Assisted Catalyst Technology for Diesel Engine Emission Reduction." In Future engines. Future Transportation Technology Conference, Costa Mesa, California, August 21-23, 2000, 61-68. Warrendale, Pennsylvania:Society of Automtove Engineers. PNNL-SA-33276.
- Lessor D.L., D.R. Herling, A.K. Sharma, and C. Speck. 2000. "Development of a Non-Thermal Plasma Reactor Electrical Model for Optimum NOx Removal Performance." In International Fall Fuels and Lubricants Meeting and Exposition, 7-18. Warrendale, Pennsylvania:Society of Automotive Engineers. PNNL-SA-34058.