Licensing, a Simple Process
Licensing a patented PNNL-developed technology or copyrighted software is a simple and quick process made available to existing and startup companies. Through an exclusive or nonexclusive agreement, these innovations can be transformed into commercial products or solutions that give your organization a competitive advantage.
- Discover a Technology: Browse our portfolio of available technologies.
- Contact Us: Once an innovation has been identified, contact the commercialization manager aligned with that market area.
- Negotiate Terms: The next step is to negotiate the business terms of the license, such as intellectual property rights, field of use, term and geographic scope, and corresponding fees. A draft agreement, tailored to meet both party’s needs, will be created that enables the introduction of a commercial product into the market.
- Sign a License Agreement: Each agreement is unique. However, the Licensing Guidelines Document pdf. on commonly used terms and phrases provides some background on what an agreement could include. We also have sample agreements that will prove useful.
- License Completed: Once the agreement has been signed by both parties, PNNL and the licensee manage their performance milestones for achieving the goal of introducing the product or service in the market.
Uncertain about Committing? Test-Drive the Tech for Six Months
Unique among Department of Energy national laboratories, PNNL offers businesses the opportunity to try out a promising technology through a simple, cost-effective agreement for six months, while reserving the technology from being commercialized by another entity. Learn more about our exploratory licensing agreement. (Download a sample Technology Exploratory License Agreement form.pdf)
Sample Agreements and Forms
Exclusive Patent License Agreement sample.pdf
Non-Exclusive Patent License Agreement sample.pdf
Option Agreement sample.pdf
Software Exploratory License Agreement sample.pdf
Technology Exploratory License Agreement sample.pdf
Company Information Form sample.pdf