Signing a two-page agreement and paying just $1,000 gives U.S. companies an opportunity to “test drive” promising technologies through a user-friendly, commercialization option offered by PNNL.
PNNL is the only Department of Energy national lab to offer this unique opportunity—called the exploratory license agreement—to large and small companies. For six months, businesses can evaluate whether a technology will work for their organization before deciding to pursue a full license so they can create a product with the technology. The agreement also “reserves” the technology so that another organization can’t license it during that six months. Ultimately, the license simplifies the process and speeds up the ability to move PNNL’s intellectual property to real-world applications.
PNNL’s Exploratory License Features
- Six-month, nonexclusive, research license to allow companies to explore whether the technology is a fit for their products or business.
- Six-month, fixed-price option to negotiate a commercial license for the patent (the agreement holds the licensee’s access to intellectual property during the exploratory period).
- Simplified form: Just a single fact sheet and a one-page boilerplate.
- Simplified terms: $1,000 fixed price, U.S. territory only, one patent or copyright per agreement.
- Rapid execution: PNNL expects to turn around licenses in less than five business days.