The Joint Appointment program at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is one of the most diverse among other U.S. national laboratories, involving nearly 60 universities and research institutions in the United States and abroad. Through joint appointments, researchers from partner institutions and PNNL have a formal relationship at the host institution that allows new collaborations for research and funding opportunities.
Since January 2022, PNNL has established the program with 10 new institutions:
- Michigan State University
- Rutgers University
- San Francisco State University
- State University of New York at Albany
- Tennessee State University
- University of California, Irvine
- University of Colorado
- University of Nevada, Reno
- University of Texas at San Antonio
- West Virginia University
In addition, there are more than 200 researchers that are part of the program. Recently, two additional joint appointments were announced:
- Karthikeyan Ramasamy, Energy and Environment Directorate, outbound appointee with Washington State University, Voiland School of Chemical Engineering and Bioengineering
- James Stegen, Earth and Biological Sciences Directorate, outbound appointee with Washington State University, School of Environment
Joint appointments provide a breadth of opportunities for researchers to expand their knowledge and work, and elevate the research impact and productivity of both PNNL and the partner institutions.
“Joint appointments help broaden the base of expertise at each institution helping to build interdisciplinary teams that can address science and technology challenges,” said PNNL director of Research Partnerships, Suresh Baskaran. “In addition, this program enables access to specialized instrumentation and research tools and provides new opportunities for training and education of students.”
For more information about PNNL’s Joint Appointment program and the impact these leading experts are making please visit the Joint Appointment website or read the latest news stories about our joint appointees’ accomplishments.