Wenwei Xu is a Data Scientist who is passionate about the numerical and statistical modeling of the earth’s environment. His research topics including coastal modeling, tropical cyclones, hydrology, and computer vision.
Disciplines and Skills
- Tropical Cyclones modeling
- Machine learning / Deep learning / Artificial Intelligence
- Hydrological and hydrodynamics modeling
- Geographical Information System
- MS, Civil and Environmental Engineering Portland State University, Portland, OR
- BS, Hydrology and Water Resources Engineering North China Electric Power University, Beijing, China
- Balaguru, K., Foltz, G.R., Leung, L.R., Kaplan, J., Xu, W., Reul, N. and Chapron, B., 2020. Pronounced impact of salinity on rapidly intensifying tropical cyclones. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society,
- Turner S., W. Xu, and N. Voisin. 2020. "Inferred inflow forecast horizons guiding reservoir release decisions across the United States." Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 24, no. 3:1275-1291. PNNL-SA-142797. doi:10.5194/hess-24-1275-2020
- Khangaonkar T.P., A. Nugraha, W. Xu, and K. Balaguru. 2019. "Salish Sea Response to Global Climate Change, Sea Level Rise, and Future Nutrient Loads." Journal of Geophysical Research. C. (Oceans) 124, no. 6:3876-3904. PNNL-SA-143747. doi:10.1029/2018JC014670
- Xu W., and S. Matzner. 2018. "Underwater Fish Detection using Deep Learning for Water Power Applications." In International Conference on Computational Science and Computational Intelligence (CSCI 2018), December 13-15, 2018, Las Vegas, NV, 313-318. Piscataway, New Jersey:IEEE. PNNL-SA-138761. doi:10.1109/CSCI46756.2018.00067
- Khangaonkar T.P., A. Nugraha, W. Xu, W. Long, L. Bianucci, A. Ahmed, and T.M. Mohamedali, et al. 2018. "Analysis of Hypoxia and Sensitivity to Nutrient Pollution in Salish Sea." Journal of Geophysical Research. C. (Oceans) 123, no. 7:4735-4761. PNNL-SA-135617. doi:10.1029/2017JC013650Kelly, P., Leung, L.R., Balaguru, K., Xu, W., Mapes, B. and Soden, B., 2018. Shape of Atlantic Tropical Cyclone Tracks and the Indian Monsoon. Geophysical Research Letters, 45(19), pp.10-746.
- Khangaonkar T.P., W. Long, and W. Xu. 2017. "Assessment of Circulation and Inter-Basin Transport in the Salish Sea including Johnstone Strait and Discovery Islands Pathways." Ocean Modelling 109. PNNL-SA-122703. doi:10.1016/j.ocemod.2016.11.004
- Xu W., and T. Khangaonkar. 2015. Temperature Model of the Pelton Round Butte Hydroelectric Project Reservoirs. . PNNL-25094. Richland, WA: Pacific Northwest National Laboratory.