Dr. Gioiosa is currently a research scientist at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) in the High-Performance Computing group (Computational Science and Mathematics Division).
Gioiosa received his PhD from the University of Rome Tor Vergata in 2006 for his work studying "High-performance computing clusters". Prior to coming to PNNL, he was a graduate student at Los Alamos National Laboratory from April 2004 to June 2005, working on high-performance computing (fault tolerance and performance analysis) in the context of the Productive, Easy-to-use, Reliable Computing System project. Gioiosa worked at the Barcelona Supercomputing Center as a postdoc in 2006-2008 and 2009-2012. At the Barcelona Supercomputing Center he worked on operating systems for high-performance computing systems and optimization for future processor architectures, and was involved in several projects with IBM, SUN, the European Union, and the European Space Agency. From September 2008 to September 2009, he was postdoc at IBM TJ Watson Research center in the BlueGene system software group where he worked on the operating system for next generation of supercomputers BlueGene/Q.
- High-performance computing
- System software (operating and runtime systems)
- Computer architecture
- Performance analysis of parallel applications
- Power and resiliency analysis
- PhD in Computer Science and Engineering, Università degli Studi di Roma Tor Vergata
- MS in Computer Science and Engineering, Università degli Studi di Roma Tor Vergata
- Mutlu E., R. Tian, B. Ren, S. Krishnamoorthy, R. Gioiosa, J. Pienaar, and G. Kestor. 2022. "COMET: A Domain-Specific Compilation of High-Performance Computational Chemistry." In Proceedings of the 33rd International Workshop on Languages and Compilers for Parallel Computing, (LCPC 2020), October 14-16 2020, Virtual, Online. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, edited by B. Chapman, J. Moreira, 13149, 87 - 103. PNNL-SA-155440. doi:10.1007/978-3-030-95953-1_7
- Liu J., D. Li, R. Gioiosa, and J. Li. 2021. "Athena: High-Performance Sparse Tensor Contraction Sequence on Heterogeneous Memory." In Proceedings of the ACM International Conference on Supercomputing (ICS 2021) June 14-17, 2021, Virtual, Online, 190 - 202. New York, New York: Association for Computing Machinery. PNNL-SA-159741.
- Gioiosa R., B. Mutlu, S. Lee, J.S. Vetter, G. Picierro, and M. Cesati. 2020. "The Minos Computing Library: Efficient Parallel Programming for Extremely Heterogeneous Systems." In Proceedings of the 13th Workshop on General Purpose Processing Using GPU (GPGPU 2020), February 23, 2020, San Diego, CA. New York, New York: Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). PNNL-SA-150725. doi:10.1145/3366428.3380770
- Friese R.D., A. Tumeo, R. Gioiosa, M.V. Raugas, and T.E. Warfel. 2019. "ADVERT: An Asynchronous Runtime for Fine-Grained Network Systems." In IEEE/ACM Third Annual Workshop on Emerging Parallel and Distributed Runtime Systems and Middleware (IPDRM 2019), November 22, 2019, Denver, CO, 9-17. Piscataway, New Jersey: IEEE. PNNL-SA-139086. doi:10.1109/IPDRM49579.2019.00006
- Gioiosa R., A. Tumeo, J. Yin, T.E. Warfel, D.J. Haglin, and S.I. Betelu. 2017. "Exploring DataVortex Systems for Irregular Applications." In IEEE International Parallel & Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS 2017), May 2-June 29, 2017, Orlando, FL, 408-418. Los Alamitos, California: IEEE Computer Society. PNNL-SA-123448. doi:10.1109/IPDPS.2017.121
- Tallent N.R., K.J. Barker, R. Gioiosa, A. Marquez, G. Kestor, S. Song, and A. Tumeo, et al. 2016. "Assessing Advanced Technology in CENATE." In Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Networking, Architecture, and Storage (NAS 2016), August 8-10, 2016, Long Beach, California. Piscataway, New Jersey: IEEE. PNNL-SA-119257. doi:10.1109/NAS.2016.7549392
- Kestor G., R. Gioiosa, and D. Chavarría-Miranda. 2015. "Prometheus: Scalable and Accurate Emulation of Task-Based Applications on Many-Core Systems." In IEEE International Symposium on Performance Analysis of Systems and Software (ISPASS 2015), March 29-31, 2015, Philadelphia, PA, 308-317. New York, New York: Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. PNNL-SA-107887. doi:10.1109/ISPASS.2015.7095816
- Gioiosa R., D.J. Kerbyson, and A. Hoisie. 2014. "Evaluating Performance and Power Efficiency of Scientific Applications on Multi-threaded Systems." In Proceedings of E2SC 2014: 2nd International Workshop on Energy Efficient Supercomputing, November 16-21, 2014, New Orleans, Louisiana, 11-20. Los Alamitos, California: IEEE Computer Society. PNNL-SA-105964. doi:10.1109/E2SC.2014.15
- Gioiosa R., G. Kestor, and D.J. Kerbyson. 2014. "Online Monitoring System for Performance Fault Detection." Parallel Processing Letters 24, no. 4:Article No. 1442003. PNNL-SA-105705. doi:10.1142/S0129626414420031
- Gioiosa R., G. Kestor, and D.J. Kerbyson. 2014. "Online Monitoring System for Performance Fault Detection." In IEEE International Parallel & Distributed Processing Symposium Workshops (IPDPSW 2014), May 19-23, 2014, Phoenix, Arizona, 1475-1484. Piscataway, New Jersey: IEEE. PNNL-SA-101741. doi:10.1109/IPDPSW.2014.165
- Gioiosa R., G. Kestor, D.J. Kerbyson, and A. Hoisie. 2014. "Cross-Layer Self-Adaptive/Self-Aware System Software for Exascale Systems." In IEEE 26th International Symposium on Computer Architecture and High Performance Computing (SBAC PAD 2014), October 22-24, 2014, Paris, France, 326-333. Piscataway, New Jersey: IEEE. PNNL-SA-104751. doi:10.1109/SBAC-PAD.2014.29
- Jimenez V., F. Cazorla, R. Gioiosa, A. Buyuktosunoglu, P. Bose, F.P. O'Connel, and B.G. Mealey. 2014. "Adaptive Prefetching on POWER7:? Improving Performance and Power Consumption." ACM Transactions on Parallel Computing 1, no. 1:Article No. 4. PNNL-SA-101761. doi:10.1145/2588889
- Gioiosa R., and S. Krishnamoorthy. 2012. "Operating System Support for Fine-Grained Task Migration." In Workshop on Exascale Operating Systems and Runtime Software, October 4-5, 2012, Washington DC. Lemont, Illinois: Argonne National Laboratory. PNNL-SA-90923.
- Jimenez V., R. Gioiosa, F. Cazorla, A. Buyuktosunoglu, P. Bose, and F. OConnell. 2012. "Making Data Prefetch Smarter: Adaptive Prefetching on POWER7." In Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Parallel Architectures and Compilation Techniques (PACT 2012), September 19-23, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 137-146. New York, New York:Association for Computing Machinery. PNNL-SA-90997. doi:10.1145/2370816.2370837
- Kestor G., R. Gioiosa, O. Unsal, A. Cristal, and M. Valero. 2012. "Enhancing the Performance of Assisted Execution Runtime Systems through Hardware/Software Techniques." In Proceedings of the 26th ACM International Conference on Supercomputing (ICS 2012), June 25-29, 2012, Venice, Italy, 153-162. New York, New York: Association for Computing Machinery. PNNL-SA-90922. doi:10.1145/2304576.2304598