Dr. Premathilake joined PNNL’s Salish Sea Model development team as a post-doctoral researcher to conduct research and model development on various topics. His doctoral thesis focused on modeling deep-water oil and gas plumes and oil spreading in ice-infested waters. He has experience conducting health, safety, and environmental analyses (HSEAs) for oil and gas spills for major oil companies. Upon joining PNNL, he extended his research areas towards the modeling aspects of marine hydrodynamics, ocean outfalls, pollutant transport, marine biogeochemistry, data driven ecological modeling, and toxics transport in Salish Sea.
PhD in Civil and Environmental Engineering, Clarkson University, NY, USA. 2018
BSc in Mechanical Engineering, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka. 2012
- Premathilake L., T. Khangaonkar. 2019. “FVCOM-plume - A three-dimensional Lagrangian outfall plume dilution and transport model for dynamic tidal environments: Model development.” Marine Pollution Bulletin. doi: 10.1016/j.marpolbul.2019.110554
- Premathilake M., and T.P. Khangaonkar. 2019. Preliminary Analysis of Marine Debris Transport in Salish Sea. PNNL-28253. Richland, WA: Pacific Northwest National Laboratory.
- Premathilake M., and T.P. Khangaonkar. 2018. Additional Mixing Zone Analysis for Georgia-Pacific Wauna Mill, Wauna, OR. PNNL-27571. Richland, WA: Pacific Northwest National Laboratory.
- Premathilake L.T., P.D. Yapa, I.D., Nissanka, and P. Kumarage. 2016. “Modeling the Flow Regime Near the Source in Underwater Gas Releases.” Journal of Marine Science and Application 15:433-441.
- Premathilake L.T., P.D. Yapa, I.D. Nissanka, and P. Kumarage. 2016. “Impact on water surface due to deepwater gas blowouts.” Marine Pollution Bulletin 112:365-374.
- Wimalaratne M.R., P.D. Yapa, K. Nakata, and L.T. Premathilake. 2015. “Transport of dissolved gas and its ecological impact after a gas release from deepwater.” Marine Pollution Bulletin 112:365-374.