Hope Lackey is a Washington State University (WSU) PhD student in analytical chemistry completing a doctoral internship at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL). As an intern in PNNL’s Nuclear Chemistry & Engineering group, her post-graduate research focuses on conducting independent research to advance the application of spectroscopy and electrochemistry in the analysis of nuclear fuel cycle systems.
Her skills are being applied to issues associated with separations and monitoring for nuclear materials processing. Her work focuses on increasing the accuracy of real-time system monitoring, which can improve the efficiency of operations and reduce waste production, helping improve worker and environmental safety during the processing of nuclear materials.
Lackey is also an Achievement Rewards for College Scientists (ARCS) scholar, selected by the ARCS Foundation to help advance science and technology in the United States.
- Nuclear fuel cycle systems and monitoring
- Nuclear materials processing
Disciplines and Skills
- Analytical and Inorganic Chemistry
- Environmental Science
- Optical Spectroscopy
- PhD, Analytical Chemistry, WSU, 2020 — present
- BS, Environmental Studies, The College of Idaho, 2018
- AA, Integrated Studies, Cascadia College, 2015
- Clifford A.J., H.E. Lackey, G. Nelson, S.A. Bryan, and A.M. Lines. 2021. "Raman Spectroscopy Coupled with Chemometric Analysis for Speciation and Quantitative Analysis of Aqueous Phosphoric Acid Systems." Analytical Chemistry 93, no. 14:5890-5896. PNNL-SA-159089. doi:10.1021/acs.analchem.1c00244
- Lackey H.E., D.R. Bottenus, M. Liezers, S.D. Shen, S.D. Branch, J.A. Katalenich, and A.M. Lines. 2020. "A versatile and low-cost chip-to-world interface: enabling ICP-MS characterization of isotachophoretically separated lanthanides on a microfluidic device." Analytica Chimica Acta 1137. PNNL-SA-151307. doi:10.1016/j.aca.2020.08.049
- Lackey H.E., G.L. Nelson, A.M. Lines, and S.A. Bryan. 2020. "Reimagining pH Measurement: Utilizing Raman Spectroscopy for Enhanced Accuracy with Phosphoric Acid Systems." Analytical Chemistry 92, no. 8:5882-5889. PNNL-SA-149421. doi:10.1021/acs.analchem.9b05708
- Nelson G., H.E. Lackey, J.M. Bello, H.M. Felmy, H.B. Bryan, F. Lamadie, and S.A. Bryan, et al. 2020. "Enabling microscale processing: combined Raman and absorbance spectroscopy for microfluidic on-line monitoring." Analytical Chemistry 93, no. 3:1643-1651. PNNL-SA-156894. doi:10.1021/acs.analchem.0c04225
- Bottenus D.R., S.D. Branch, H.E. Lackey, C.F. Ivory, J.A. Katalenich, S.B. Clark, A.M. Lines. 2019. “Design and optimization of a fused-silica microfluidic device for separation of trivalent lanthanides by isotachophoresis.” Electrophoresis 40: 2531-2540. https://doi.org/10.1002/elps.201900027