Leo Fifield, a materials scientist at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL), was recently elected chair of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Richland, Washington section. His colleagues, electrical engineers Mike Larche and Bishnu Bhattarai, are serving as vice chair and secretary of the section, respectively.
Each began their one-year terms on January 1, 2021.
The IEEE is designed to engage its members in scientific and educational activities to advance the theory and practice of electrical, electronics, communications, and computer engineering and science to benefit the engineering profession and the public.
Fifield has been a member of IEEE since 2004. He is member of the Power and Energy Society Insulated Conductors Committee IEEE standards organization. He is also an elected member of the board and secretary of the annual Conference on Electrical Insulation and Dielectric Phenomena of the IEEE Dielectric and Electrical Insulation Society.
A member of IEEE since 2012, Bhattarai has served as an editor of IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid and Technical Committee Program co-chair of the IEEE Power and Energy Society technical committee on Smart Building, Loads, and Customer Systems.
Larche has been an active member in the Richland section since 2016. He has served in multiple officer roles on the executive committee within the section. In 2018, he was recognized as the Richland Sensors Council Engineer of the Year.
“It’s encouraging to see so many younger PNNL staff members choosing to be involved and volunteer in the local section as officers,” said Fifield. “I’m looking forward to our opportunities this year to promote science and engineering in the Tri-Cities and to enhance the careers of our members. From cell phone standards, to STEM education and humanitarian projects, IEEE impacts many lives all over the world. It’s an honor and pleasure to represent the society and the section.”
In addition to the board members, the following PNNL researchers have assumed roles in chapter committees.
- Sri Nikhil Gupta Gourisetti, Mychal Spencer, and Emily Barrett are serving as chair, vice chair, and secretary of the Power and Energy Society Committee.
- Jereme Haack, Zeak Torres, and Chandrika Sivaramakrishnan are chair, vice chair, and secretary of the Computer Society Committee.
- Eric Becker, Brian Archambault, and Lynn Wood are chair, vice chair, and secretary of the Nuclear and Plasma Society Committee.
- Mark Jones, Maurio Grando, and Dave Sheen are chair, vice chair, and secretary of the Sensors Chapter Committee.
- Donghui Li, Fernando Bereta dos Reis, and Wei Du are chair, vice chair, and secretary of the Young Professionals Committee.
- Tamara Becejac, Emily Barrett, and Alka Singh are chair, vice chair, and secretary of the Women in Engineering Committee.