Zhuoran Duan is an Earth scientist specializing in interdisciplinary research to study watershed science and climate-hydrology interactions as they relate to water resources, climate change, energy production, hazards prevention, and associated environmental studies and assessments. Duan is also interested in the development and verification of novel simulation algorithms, conceptual models, and state-of-the-art watershed and surface water flow and transport code. Her work also leverages high-performance computing resources to enable distributed watershed science studies at regional scales in order to better inform decision making. Duan is currently a PhD student in the Civil and Environmental Engineering program at the University of Washington, with a focus on improving the modeling of hydro-geomorphic hazards to ensure resilience to flooding.
- MS in Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Washington, 2014
- BE in Hydrology and Water Resources Engineering, Wuhan University, 2012
Affiliations and Professional Service
- American Geophysical Union
- Liao C., T.K. Tesfa, Z. Duan, and L. Leung. 2020. "Watershed Delineation On A Hexagonal Mesh Grid." Environmental Modelling & Software 128. doi:10.1016/j.envsoft.2020.104702
- Fang Y., X. Chen, J.D. Gomez Velez, X. Zhang, Z. Duan, G. Hammond, and A.E. Goldman, et al. 2020. "A multirate mass transfer model to represent the interaction of multicomponent biogeochemical processes between surface water and hyporheic zones (SWAT-MRMT-R 1.0)." Geoscientific Model Development. 13, 3553–3569, doi:10.5194/gmd-13-3553-2020
- Chen Y., J. Bao, Y. Fang, T.D. Scheibe, M.C. Richmond, W.A. Perkins, H. Ren, X. Song, Z. Duan, Z. Hou, et al. 2020. “Modeling the Effects of Topography Heterogeneity and Discharge Variations on Riverbed Hydrodynamics in a 30-kilometer-long Reach over a Nine-year Period using OpenFOAM.” Earth and Space Science Open Archive43.doi:10.1002/essoar.10502486.1
- Yabusaki S.B., A.N. Myers-Pigg, N.D. Ward, S.R. Waichler, A. Sengupta, Z. Hou, and X. Chen, et al. 2020. “Floodplain inundation and salinization from a recently restored first-order tidal stream.” Water Resources Research. 56, 2019WR026850. doi:10.1029/2019WR026850
- Chen, X., Z. Duan, L. R. Leung, and M. Wigmosta (2019), “A Framework to Delineate Precipitation-Runoff Regimes: Precipitation vs. Snowpack in the Western U.S.” Geophysical Research Letters 46, no. 22:13044-13053. doi: 10.1029/2019GL085184 [EOS highlight] [DOE highlight]
- Perkins W.A., Z. Duan, N. Sun, M.S. Wigmosta, M.C. Richmond, X. Chen, and L. Leung. 2019. "Parallel Distributed Hydrology Soil Vegetation Model (DHSVM) using Global Arrays." Environmental Modelling & Software 122. doi:10.1016/j.envsoft.2019.104533
- Fang Y., L. Leung, Z. Duan, M.S. Wigmosta, R.M. Maxwell, J.Q. Chambers, and J. Tomasella. 2017, "Influence of landscape heterogeneity on water available to tropical forests in an Amazonian catchment and implications for modeling drought response", J. Geophys. Res. Atmos., 122, 8410–8426, doi:10.1002/2017JD027066.