Dr. Yuan Jiang joined PNNL as a research associate in 2017, and was then promoted to chemical engineer in 2018. Prior to joining PNNL, she worked as a research associate at the National Energy Technology Laboratory. Dr. Jiang’s research focuses on renewable and fossil energy conversion and process systems engineering, including system-level and equipment-level design and modeling, dynamic simulation, techno-economic analysis, exergy analysis, sustainability analysis, optimization, refinery integration, and uncertainty quantification. The technical tools used include Aspen Plus, Aspen Custom Modeler, Aspen Plus Dynamic, Aspen Process Economic Analyzer, Aspen PIMS, CHEMCAD, Excel, and Oracle Crystal Ball, etc.
2017 Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, West Virginia University
2012 B.S., Chemical Engineering, East China University of Science and Technology
Affiliations and Professional Service
American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE)
- U.S. Patent No. 11,492,302, November 8, 2022, "INTEGRATED CAPTURE AND CONVERSION OF CO2 TO METHANE, METHANOL, OR METHANOL AND GLYCOL".
- U.S. Patent No. 10,961,173, March 30, 2021, "INTEGRATED CAPTURE AND CONVERSION OF CO2 TO METHANOL PROCESS TECHNOLOGY".
- Jiang Y., G. Zaimes, S. Li, T.R. Hawkins, A. Singh, N. Carlson, and M. Talmadge, et al. 2023. "Economic and Environmental Analysis to Evalulate the Potential Value of Co-Optima Diesel Bioblendstocks to Petroleum Refiners." Fuel 333, no. Part 1:Art. No. 126233. PNNL-SA-169554. doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2022.126233
- Barpaga D., Y. Jiang, R.F. Zheng, D. Malhotra, P.K. Koech, A. Zwoster, and P.M. Mathias, et al. 2022. "Evaluation of a third Generation Single-Component Water-Lean Diamine Solvent for Post-Combustion CO2 Capture." ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering 10, no. 14:4522-4528. PNNL-SA-168249. doi:10.1021/acssuschemeng.1c08401
- Liu J., J. Dempsey, S. Li, Y. Jiang, L.J. Snowden-Swan, W.L. Kubic, and E. Tan, et al. 2022. "Methodology for Assessing the Maximum Potential Impact of Separations Opportunities in Industrial Processes." Frontiers in Sustainability 3. PNNL-SA-178090. doi:10.3389/frsus.2022.1056580
- Snowden-Swan L.J., S. Li, Y. Jiang, M.R. Thorson, A.J. Schmidt, T.E. Seiple, and J.M. Billing, et al. 2022. Wet Waste Hydrothermal Liquefaction and Biocrude Upgrading to Hydrocarbon Fuels: 2021 State of Technology. PNNL-32731. Richland, WA: Pacific Northwest National Laboratory. doi:10.2172/1863608.Wet Waste Hydrothermal Liquefaction and Biocrude Upgrading to Hydrocarbon Fuels: 2021 State of Technology
- Gaspar D.J., C.J. Mueller, R.L. McCormick, J. Martin, S. Som, G.M. Magnotti, and J. Burton, et al. 2021. Top 13 Blendstocks Derived from Biomass for Mixing-Controlled Compression-Ignition (Diesel) Engines: Bioblendstocks with Potential for Decreased Emissions and Improved Operability. PNNL-31421. Richland, WA: Pacific Northwest National Laboratory. Top 13 Blendstocks Derived from Biomass for Mixing-Controlled Compression-Ignition (Diesel) Engines: Bioblendstocks with Potential for Decreased Emissions and Improved Operability
- Jiang Y., P.M. Mathias, C.J. Freeman, R.F. Zheng, G.A. Whyatt, D.J. Heldebrant, and J. Swisher. 2021. "Techno-Economic Comparison of Various Process Configurations for Post-Combustion Carbon Capture Using a Single-Component Water-Lean Solvent." International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 106. PNNL-SA-156565. doi:10.1016/j.ijggc.2021.103279
- Jiang Y., S.D. Phillips, A. Singh, S.B. Jones, and D.J. Gaspar. 2021. "Potential Economic Values of Low-Vapor-Pressure Gasoline-Range Bio-Blendstocks: Property Estimation, and Blending Optimization." Fuel 297. PNNL-SA-147097. doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2021.120759
- Kothandaraman J., J. Saavedra Lopez, Y. Jiang, E.D. Walter, S.D. Burton, R.A. Dagle, and D.J. Heldebrant. 2021. "Integrated Capture and Conversion of CO2 to Methane using a Water-lean, Post Combustion CO2 Capture Solvent." ChemSusChem 14, no. 21:4812-4819. PNNL-SA-162553. doi:10.1002/cssc.202101590
- Li S., Y. Jiang, L.J. Snowden-Swan, J.A. Askander, A.J. Schmidt, and J.M. Billing. 2021. "Techno-Economic Uncertainty Analysis of Wet Waste-to-Biocrude via Hydrothermal Liquefaction." Applied Energy 283. PNNL-SA-156267. doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2020.116340
- Snowden-Swan L.J., J.M. Billing, M.R. Thorson, A.J. Schmidt, Y. Jiang, D.M. Santosa, and T.E. Seiple, et al. 2021. Wet Waste Hydrothermal Liquefaction and Biocrude Upgrading to Hydrocarbon Fuels: 2020 State of Technology. PNNL-30982. Richland, WA: Pacific Northwest National Laboratory. Wet Waste Hydrothermal Liquefaction and Biocrude Upgrading to Hydrocarbon Fuels: 2020 State of Technology
- Wang I., R.A. Dagle, T.S. Khan, J.A. Lopez-Ruiz, L. Kovarik, Y. Jiang, and M. Xu, et al. 2021. "Catalytic decomposition of methane into hydrogen and high-value carbons: combined experimental and DFT computational study." Catalysis Science & Technology 11, no. 14:4911-4921. PNNL-SA-163856. doi:10.1039/D1CY00287B
- Zheng R.F., D. Barpaga, P.M. Mathias, D. Malhotra, P.K. Koech, Y. Jiang, and M. Bhakta, et al. 2020. "A Single-Component Water-Lean Post-Combustion CO2 Capture Solvent with Exceptionally Low Operational Heat and Total Costs of Capture - Comprehensive Experimental and Theoretical Evaluation." Energy & Environmental Science 13, no. 11:4106-4113. PNNL-SA-153508. doi:10.1039/D0EE02585B
- Jiang Y., S.B. Jones, Y. Zhu, L.J. Snowden-Swan, A.J. Schmidt, J.M. Billing, and D.B. Anderson. 2019. "Techno-Economic Uncertainty Quantification of Algal-derived Biocrude via Hydrothermal Liquefaction." Algal Research 39. PNNL-SA-138139. doi:10.1016/j.algal.2019.101450
- Mevawala C., Y. Jiang, and D. Bhattacharyya. 2019. "Techno-economic optimization of shale gas to dimethyl ether production processes via direct and indirect synthesis routes." Applied Energy 238. PNNL-SA-148267. doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2019.01.044