Xuehang Song is an Earth scientist specializing in groundwater flow and transport modeling, data assimilation, high-performance computing, and geostatistics. Since joining PNNL in 2015, he has developed reactive transport models and particle tracking algorithms to study interactions between surface water and groundwater. In addition, he’s integrated Bayesian data assimilation techniques and geostatistics tools to characterize heterogeneous aquifer properties in the Hanford 300 Area, and evaluated containments transport on the U.S. Department of Energy Hanford site with field data and numerical simulations. Song aims to advance the studies of hyporheic zone hydrological, thermal, and biogeochemical processes through multi-scale models and data integration approaches.
- Groundwater flow and reactive transport modeling
- Uncertainty quantification and data assimilation
- Model and data integration
- PhD in Hydrology and Water Resources Engineering, Wuhan University, Wuhan, 2014
- BE in Hydrology and Water Resources Engineering, Wuhan University, Wuhan, 2009
Affiliations and Professional Service
- American Geophysical Union
- Geochemical Society
- Zachara JM, X Chen, X Song, P Shuai, CJ Murray, and CT Resch. 2020. "Kilometer-scale hydrologic exchange flows in a gravel bed river corridor and their implications to solute migration." Water Resources Research 56, no. 2:Article NO. e2019WR025258. PNNL-SA-137616. doi:10.1029/2019WR025258
- Rockhold ML, JL Robinson, K Parajuli, X Song, Z Zhang, and TC Johnson. 2020. "Groundwater characterization and monitoring at a complex industrial waste site using electrical resistivity imaging." Hydrogeology Journal. PNNL-SA-147892. doi:10.1007/s10040-020-02167-1
- Asmussen RM, Y Fang, GD Tartakovsky, X Song, JH Westsik, and GL Smith. 2019. “Performance Metric for Cementitious Waste Form Inventory Release in the Integrated Disposal Facility.” PNNL-28992. Richland, WA: Pacific Northwest National Laboratory.
- Dai H, M Ye, BX Hu, AW Niedoroda, X Zhang, X Chen, and X Song, et al. 2019. "Hierarchical sensitivity analysis for simulating barrier island geomorphologic responses to future storms and sea-level rise." Theoretical and Applied Climatology 136, no. 3-4:1495-1511. PNNL-SA-142865. doi:10.1007/s00704-018-2700-5
- Dai H, X Chen, M Ye, X Song, G Hammond, BX Hu, and JM Zachara. 2019. "Using Bayesian Networks for Sensitivity Analysis of Complex Biogeochemical Models." Water Resources Research 55, no. 4:3541-3555. PNNL-SA-141922. doi:10.1029/2018WR023589
- Shuai P, X Chen, X Song, G Hammond, JM Zachara, PD Royer, and H Ren, et al. 2019. "Dam Operations and Subsurface Hydrogeology Control Dynamics of Hydrologic Exchange Flows in a Regulated River Reach." Water Resources Research 55, no. 4:2593-2612. PNNL-SA-138598. doi:10.1029/2018WR024193
- Song X, X Chen, M Ye, Z Dai, GE Hammond, and JM Zachara. 2019. "Delineating Facies Spatial Distribution by Integrating Ensemble Data Assimilation and Indicator Geostatistics with Level-Set Transformation." Water Resources Research 55, no. 4:2652-2671. PNNL-SA-141921. doi:10.1029/2018WR023262
- Rockhold ML, X Song, JD Tagestad, PD Thorne, GD Tartakovsky, and X Chen. 2018. Sensitivity Analysis of Contaminant Transport from Vadose Zone Sources to Groundwater. PNNL-28065. Richland, WA: Pacific Northwest National Laboratory.
- Song X, X Chen, JC Stegen, G Hammond, H Song, H Dai, and EB Graham, et al. 2018. "Drought Conditions Maximize the Impact of High-Frequency Flow Variations on Thermal Regimes and Biogeochemical Function in the Hyporheic Zone." Water Resources Research54, no. 10:7361-7382. PNNL-SA-123922. doi:10.1029/2018WR022586
- Yonkofski C, D Appriou, X Song, JL Downs, CD Johnson, and VC Milbrath. 2018. “Water Application for Dust Control in the Central Plateau: Impacts, Alternatives, and Work Strategies.” PNNL-28061. Richland, WA: Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
- Zhou T, J Bao, M Huang, Z Hou, EV Arntzen, X Song, and SF Harding, et al. 2018. "Riverbed Hydrologic Exchange Dynamics in a Large Regulated River Reach." Water Resources Research 54, no. 4:2715-2730. PNNL-SA-123666. doi:10.1002/2017WR020508
- Zhou T, M Huang, J Bao, Z Hou, EV Arntzen, RD Mackley, and AR Crump, et al. 2017. "A New Approach to Quantify Shallow Water Hydrologic Exchanges in a Large Regulated River Reach." Water 9, no. 9:703. PNNL-SA-123562. doi:10.3390/w9090703
- Dai H, X Chen, M Ye, X Song, and JM Zachara. 2017. "A Geostatistics-Informed Hierarchical Sensitivity Analysis Method for Complex Groundwater Flow and Transport Modeling." Water Resources Research 53, no. 5:4327-4343. PNNL-SA-120000. doi:10.1002/2016WR019756
- Song H, DG Thomas, JC Stegen, M Li, C Liu, X Song, and X Chen, et al. 2017. "Regulation-structured dynamic metabolic model provides a potential mechanism for delayed enzyme response in denitrification process." Frontiers in Microbiology 8. PNNL-SA-129317. doi:10.3389/fmicb.2017.01866