Tom Gray supports the Nuclear, Chemical, and Biological Technologies Division at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL). Since joining PNNL in 2018, Gray has worked on a variety of projects that serve the national security mission. His efforts have focused on leadership development, nuclear nonproliferation, and stakeholder engagement.
Prior to his time at PNNL, Gray worked primarily on topics related to nuclear technology and policy, first as a nuclear submarine officer in the U.S. Navy, then later as a National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) graduate fellow, and most recently as a junior professional officer at the International Atomic Energy Agency, Division of Nuclear Security.
Aside from his substantive interests, Gray is passionate about professional development and mentoring, which he supports daily in his role as the PNNL project manager administrating the NNSA Graduate Fellowship program and the group leader for PNNL’s NNSA Leadership Development group. Together, these efforts contribute toward developing the next generation of leaders for the nation’s nuclear security enterprise.
- International safeguards
- Nuclear nonproliferation
- Nuclear security
- Policy analysis
MA in Nonproliferation and Terrorism Studies, Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey (2015)
BA in Anthropology, Rice University (2006)
Affiliations and Professional Service
- Institute of Nuclear Material Management
Awards and Recognitions
- National Nuclear Security Administration’s Ian Hutcheon Memorial Fellowship, 2016
- Gray, T., Benz, J., Jenkins, K., MacDougall, M., Matthews, C., Otto, R., Smartt, H., Sobolev, T., Wilson, B., Examining the Future of IAEA Containment and Surveillance, INMM Annual Meeting Proceedings (2022), Institute for Nuclear Material Management, https://resources.inmm.org/annual-meeting-proceedings/examining-future-iaea-containment-and-surveillance-0
- Gray, T., Lavelle, B., Disney, M., The NNSA Graduate Fellowship Program: A Legacy in Nuclear Security Leadership Development, INMM Annual Meeting Proceedings (2021), Institute for Nuclear Material Management. https://resources.inmm.org/annual-meeting-proceedings/nnsa-graduate-fellowship-program-legacy-nuclear-security-leadership
- Sayre, A., Gray, T, Used Goods, New Risks: Mitigating Proliferation Impacts of the Global Secondary Market, Strategic Trade Review, Volume 6, Issue 9, (Winter/Spring 2020) https://strategictraderesearch.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Strategic-Trade-Review-Winter-Spring-2020.pdf