Samantha Erwin is a data scientist in the Data Science and Analytics group at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory. Her research focuses on developing mathematical models to elucidate biological mechanisms. She has led teams to develop data analysis pipelines that integrate natural language processing, graphical models, machine learning, and statistical analysis. She has strong interests in multi-omics, multiscale modeling, biological threats, and One Health.
Erwin is an early career fellow on the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics Committee for Science and Policy. She is the membership chair of the Society for Mathematical Biology. She is an affiliate faculty member at Tennessee Tech University and Oregon State University. She enjoys mentoring students, science policy initiatives, and scientific communication.
Erwin has a PhD and MS in Mathematics from Virginia Tech, and a BS in Mathematics from Murray State University. She was a postdoctoral scholar at North Carolina State’s College of Veterinary Medicine in the Public Health Department.
- One Health
- Data science
- Disease modeling
- Population health
- Disease prediction
- PhD in Mathematics, Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University
- MS in Mathematics, Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University
- BS in Mathematics, Murray State University
Affiliations and Professional Service
- National Service
- SIAM Committee on Science and Policy, 2020 – Present
- Society for Mathematical Biology, Membership Chair, 2019 – 2022
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- National Science Foundation - Mathematical Sciences Graduate Internship, Liaison, 2020 – 2022
- Oak Ridge Computer Science Girls, Volunteer, 2020
- Hour of Code, Instructor at Bowers Elementary School, 2019
- North Carolina State University
- College of Veterinary Medicine Postdoctoral Association President, 2018
- College of Veterinary Medicine Research Forum Poster Judge, 2018
- CMI Annual Research and Innovation Summit Poster Judge, 2018
Awards and Recognitions
- Distinguished Young Alumni Award, Murray State University, 2021
- SIAM Science and Policy Fellowship, 2020 – 2022
- ORNL Supplemental Performance Award for Excellence in Research and Community, 2020
- Top 22 Under 40—Murray State University Alumni Association, 2019, 2020
- Best Poster Award at the NC State Postdoctoral Research Symposium, 2019
- Favorite Faculty Award from the Division of Student Affairs at Virginia Tech, 2016
- Silver Oral Presentation at the VT Research Symposium, 2016
- Koch L, TS Oesch, A Chaulagain, M Adkisson, S Erwin, and B Weber. 2022. “Toward the Detection of Polyglot Files.” In Proceedings of the 15th Work on Cyber Sec Exp Test 120-128.
- R Stewart, S Erwin, J Piburn, N Nagle, J Kaufman, A Peluso, JB Christian, J Grant, and B Bhaduri. “A 7-Day monitoring and forecasting tool for real-time COVID-19 situational awareness.” Applied Geography 102759.
- Spannaus A, T Papamarkou, S Erwin, and JB Christian. 2022. “Bayesian state-space modeling for COVID-19: with Tennessee and New York case studies.” Scientific Reports 12(1):1-12.
- Norem S, A Rice, S Erwin, R Bridges, S Oesch, and B Weber. A Mathematical Framework for Evaluation of SOAR Tools with Limited Survey Data. European Symposium on Research in Computer Security, Springer, 2021.
- Danc Iiu, S Erwin, G Agasthya, J Tate, B McMahon, G Tourassi, and A Justice. 2020. “Using longitudinal PSA values and machine learning for predicting progression of early-stage prostate cancer in veterans.” J Clin Oncol 38(15).
- Erwin S, LM Childs, and SM Ciupe. “Mathematical model of broadly reactive plasma cell production.” Scientific Reports 10(1):1-12.
- Erwin S, DM Foster, ME Jacob, MG Papich, C Lanzas. 2020. “Mathematical model of the effects of antibiotics on antimicrobial susceptibility of enteric bacteria.” PLOS One, 15(1):e0228138.
- Lanzas C, K Davies, S Erwin, and D Dawson. 2019. “On modeling environmentally-transmitted pathogens.” Interface Focus 10:20190056.
- Clifton SM, CL Davis, S Erwin, G Hamerlinck, et al. 2018. “Modeling the argasid tick Ornithodoros moubata life cycle.” Understanding Complex Biological Systems with Mathematics, 63-87.
- Fletcher JR, S Erwin, C Lanzas, and CM Theriot. 2018. “Shifts in the gut metabolome and Clostridium difficile transcriptome throughout colonization and infection in a mouse model.” mSphere 3:e00089-18.
- Verma M, S Erwin, V Abedi, S Hoops, R Hontecills, A Leber, J Bassaganya Riera, and SM Ciupe. “Modeling the mechanisms by which HIV-associated immunosuppression influences HPV persistence at the oral mucosa.” PLOS One 12(1):e0168133.
- Erwin S and SM Ciupe. 2017. “Germinal center dynamics during non-chronic and chronic disease.” Math Biosci Eng, 14(3):655-71.
- Erwin S, A Huckaba, KS He, and M McCarthy. 2013. “Matrix Analysis to Model the Invasion of Alligatorweed (Alternanthera philoxeroides) on Kentucky Lakes.” J Plant Ecol 6(2):150-7.