- PhD in Environmental Engineering and Science, University of Washington, 1991
- MS in Geology, University of Washington, 1983
- BS in Geology, University of Washington, 1981 (cum laude)
Awards and Recognitions
- Department of Energy Global Change Distinguished Postdoctoral Fellowship
- Howard A. Coombs Scholarship
- McGetchin Volcano Fund
- Sun N, R Skaggs, MS Wigmosta, A Coleman, MH Huesemann, and SJ Edmundson. 2020. "Growth Modeling to Evaluate Alternative Cultivation Strategies to Enhance National Microalgal Biomass Production." Algal Research 49. PNNL-SA-145175. doi:10.1016/j.algal.2020.101939
- Xu H, U Lee, A Coleman, MS Wigmosta, N Sun, TR Hawkins, and MQ Wang. 2020. "Balancing Water Sustainability and Productivity Objectives in Microalgae Cultivation: Siting Open Ponds by Considering Seasonal Water-Stress Impact Using AWARE-US." Environmental Science & Technology 54, no. 4:2091-2102. PNNL-SA-145174. doi:10.1021/acs.est.9b05347
- Yan H, N Sun, MS Wigmosta, L Leung, Z Hou, A Coleman, and RL Skaggs. 2020. "Evaluating next-generation intensity-duration-frequency curves for design flood estimates in the snow-dominated western United States." Hydrological Processes 34, no. 5:1255-1268. PNNL-SA-143219. doi:10.1002/hyp.13673
- Chen X, L Leung, MS Wigmosta, and MC Richmond. 2019. "Impact of Atmospheric Rivers on Surface Hydrological Processes in Western U.S. Watersheds." Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres 124, no. 16:8896-8916. PNNL-SA-141431. doi:10.1029/2019JD030468
- Chen X, Z Duan, L Leung, and MS Wigmosta. 2019. "A Framework to Delineate Precipitation-Runoff Regimes: Precipitation vs. Snowpack in the Western U.S." Geophysical Research Letters 46, no. 22:13044-13053. PNNL-SA-141385. doi:10.1029/2019GL085184
- Hou Z, H Ren, N Sun, MS Wigmosta, Y Liu, L Leung, and H Yan, et al. 2019. "Incorporating Climate Non-stationarity and Snowmelt Processes in Intensity-Duration-Frequency Analyses with Case Studies in Mountainous Areas." Journal of Hydrometeorology 20, no. 12:2331-2346. PNNL-SA-132327. doi:10.1175/JHM-D-19-0055.1
- Khawam G, P Waller, S Gao, SJ Edmundson, MS Wigmosta, and KL Ogden. 2019. "Model of temperature, evaporation, and productivity in elevated experimental algae raceways and comparison with commercial raceways." Algal Research 39. PNNL-SA-144965. doi:10.1016/j.algal.2019.101448
- Perkins WA, Z Duan, N Sun, MS Wigmosta, MC Richmond, X Chen, and L Leung. 2019. "Parallel Distributed Hydrology Soil Vegetation Model (DHSVM) using Global Arrays." Environmental Modelling & Software 122. PNNL-SA-141147. doi:10.1016/j.envsoft.2019.104533
- Ren H, Z Hou, MS Wigmosta, Y Liu, and L Leung. 2019. "Impacts of Spatial Heterogeneity and Temporal Non-Stationarity on Intensity-Duration-Frequency Estimates - A Case Study in a Mountainous California-Nevada Watershed." Water 11, no. 6:Article No. 1296. PNNL-SA-141612. doi:10.3390/w11061296
- Sun N, H Yan, MS Wigmosta, L Leung, R Skaggs, and Z Hou. 2019. "Regional Snow Parameters Estimation for Large-Domain Hydrological Applications in the Western United States." Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres 124, no. 10:5296-5313. PNNL-SA-134653. doi:10.1029/2018JD030140
- Xu H, U Lee, A Coleman, MS Wigmosta, and MQ Wang. 2019. "Assessment of algal biofuel resource potential in the United States with consideration of regional water stress." Algal Research 37. PNNL-SA-138253. doi:10.1016/j.algal.2018.11.002
- Yan H, N Sun, MS Wigmosta, L Leung, Z Hou, R Skaggs, and A Coleman. 2019. "Enhancing Hydrologic Design by Next-Generation Intensity-Duration-Frequency Curves Considering Snowmelt and Climate Nonstationarity." In World Environmental and Water Resources Congress 2019: Groundwater, Sustainability, Hydro-Climate/Climate Change, and Environmental Engineering, May 19-23, 2019, Pittsburgh, PA, edited by GF Scott and W Hamilton, 278-286. Reston, Virginia:American Society of Civil Engineers. PNNL-SA-140569. doi:10.1061/9780784482346.028
- Yan H, N Sun, MS Wigmosta, R Skaggs, L Leung, A Coleman, and Z Hou. 2019. "Observed Spatiotemporal Changes in the Mechanisms of Extreme Water Available for Runoff in the Western United States." Geophysical Research Letters 46, no. 2:767-775. PNNL-SA-138215. doi:10.1029/2018GL080260
- Yan H, N Sun, MS Wigmosta, R Skaggs, Z Hou, and L Leung. 2019. "Next-Generation Intensity-Duration-Frequency Curves to Reduce Errors in Peak Flood Design." Journal of Hydrologic Engineering 24, no. 7:04019020. PNNL-SA-135099. doi:10.1061/(ASCE)HE.1943-5584.0001799
- Chen X, L Leung, Y Gao, Y Liu, MS Wigmosta, and MC Richmond. 2018. "Predictability of Extreme Precipitation in Western U.S. Watersheds Based on Atmospheric River Occurrence, Intensity, and Duration." Geophysical Research Letters 45, no. 21:11693-11701. PNNL-SA-136740. doi:10.1029/2018GL079831
- Huesemann MH, AR Chavis, SJ Edmundson, DK Rye, SJ Hobbs, N Sun, and MS Wigmosta. 2018. "Climate-Simulated Raceway Pond Culturing: Quantifying the Maximum Achievable Annual Biomass Productivity of Chlorella sorokiniana in the Contiguous USA." Journal of Applied Phycology 30, no. 1:287-298. PNNL-SA-124328. doi:10.1007/s10811-017-1256-6
- Judi DR, CL Rakowski, SR Waichler, Y Feng, and MS Wigmosta. 2018. "Integrated Modeling Approach for the Development of Climate-Informed, Actionable Information." Water 10, no. 6:Article No. 775. PNNL-SA-134615. doi:10.3390/w10060775
- Sun N, MS Wigmosta, T Zhou, J Lundquist, SE Dickerson-Lange, and N Cristea. 2018. "Evaluating the Functionality and Streamflow Impacts of Explicitly Modelling Forest-Snow Interactions and Canopy Gaps in a Distributed Hydrologic Model." Hydrological Processes 32, no. 13:2128-2140. PNNL-SA-131081. doi:10.1002/hyp.13150
- Yan H, N Sun, MS Wigmosta, R Skaggs, Z Hou, and L Leung. 2018. "Next-Generation Intensity-Duration-Frequency Curves for Hydrologic Design in Snow-Dominated Environments." Water Resources Research 54, no. 2:1093-1108. PNNL-SA-126849. doi:10.1002/2017WR021290
- Fang Y, L Leung, Z Duan, MS Wigmosta, RM Maxwell, JQ Chambers, and J Tomasella. 2017. "Influence of landscape heterogeneity on water availability to tropical forests in an Amazonian catchment and implications for modeling drought response." Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres 122, no. 16:8410-8426. PNNL-SA-125270. doi:10.1002/2017JD027066
- Huesemann MH, T Dale, AR Chavis, BJ Crowe, S Twary, A Barry, and DC Valentine, et al. 2017. "Simulation of outdoor pond cultures using indoor LED-lighted and temperature-controlled raceway ponds and Phenometrics photobioreactors." Algal Research 21. PNNL-SA-117542. doi:10.1016/j.algal.2016.11.016
- Wigmosta MS, A Coleman, E Venteris, and R Skaggs. 2017. "Microalgae Feedstocks for Aviation Fuels." In Green Aviation: Reduction of Environmental Impact Through Aircraft Technology and Alternative Fuels, edited by ES Nelson and DR Reddy. Boca Raton, Florida:CRC Press. PNNL-SA-129394.
- Huesemann MH, BJ Crowe, P Waller, AR Chavis, SJ Hobbs, SJ Edmundson, and MS Wigmosta. 2016. "A Validated Model to Predict Microalgae Growth in Outdoor Pond Cultures Subjected to Fluctuating Light Intensities and Water Temperatures." Algal Research 13. PNNL-SA-111707. doi:10.1016/j.algal.2015.11.008
- Huesemann MH, MS Wigmosta, BJ Crowe, P Waller, AR Chavis, SJ Hobbs, and SJ Edmundson, et al. 2016. "Estimating the Maximum Achievable Productivity in Outdoor Ponds: Microalgae Biomass Growth Modeling and Climate Simulated Culturing." In Microalgal Production for Biomass and High-Value Products, edited by SP Slocombe and JR Benemann. 113-137. Boca Raton, Florida:CRC Press. PNNL-SA-105694. doi:10.1201/b19464-6
- Langholtz M, AM Coleman, L Eaton, MS Wigmosta, CM Hellwinckel, and CC Brandt. 2016. "Potential Land Competition Between Open-Pond Microalgae Production and Terrestrial Dedicated Feedstock Supply Systems in the U.S." Renewable Energy 93. PNNL-SA-91459. doi:10.1016/j.renene.2016.02.052
- Moore BC, AM Coleman, MS Wigmosta, R Skaggs, and E Venteris. 2015. "A High Spatiotemporal Assessment of Consumptive Water Use and Water Scarcity in the Conterminous United States." Water Resources Management 29, no. 14:5185-5200. PNNL-SA-111026. doi:10.1007/s11269-015-1112-x
- Coleman AM, J Abodeely, R Skaggs, W Moeglein, DT Newby, ER Venteris, and MS Wigmosta. 2014. "An Integrated Assessment of Location-Dependent Scaling for Microalgae Biofuel Production Facilities." Algal Research 5. PNNL-SA-98336. doi:10.1016/j.algal.2014.05.008
- Davis R, D Fishman, ED Frank, MC Johnson, SB Jones, C Kinchin, and R Skaggs, et al. 2014. "Integrated Evaluation of Cost, Emissions, and Resource Potential for Algal Biofuels at the National Scale." Environmental Science & Technology 48, no. 10:6035-6042. PNNL-SA-100181. doi:10.1021/es4055719
- Tesfa TK, LR Leung, M Huang, H Li, N Voisin, and MS Wigmosta. 2014. "Scalability of grid- and subbasin-based land surface modeling approaches for hydrologic simulations." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 119, no. 6:3166-3184. PNNL-SA-96701. doi:10.1002/2013JD020493
- Venteris ER, MS Wigmosta, AM Coleman, and R Skaggs. 2014. "Strain selection, biomass to biofuel conversion, and resource colocation have strong impacts on the economic performance of algae cultivation sites." Frontiers in Energy Research 2. PNNL-SA-103615. doi:10.3389/fenrg.2014.00037
- Venteris ER, R McBride, AM Coleman, R Skaggs, and MS Wigmosta. 2014. "Siting algae cultivation facilities for biofuel production in the United States: trade-offs between growth rate, site constructability, water availability, and infrastructure." Environmental Science & Technology 48, no. 6:3559-3566. PNNL-SA-98419. doi:10.1021/es4045488
- Venteris ER, R Skaggs, MS Wigmosta, and AM Coleman. 2014. "A National-Scale Comparison of Resource and Nutrient Demands for Algae-Based Biofuel Production by Lipid Extraction and Hydrothermal Liquefaction." Biomass & Bioenergy 64. PNNL-SA-95364. doi:10.1016/j.biombioe.2014.02.001
- Venteris ER, R Skaggs, MS Wigmosta, and AM Coleman. 2014. "Regional Algal Biofuel Production Potential in the Coterminous United States as Affected by Resource Availability Trade-offs." Algal Research 5. PNNL-SA-98390. doi:10.1016/j.algal.2014.02.002
- Copping AE, Z Yang, N Voisin, J Richey, T Wang, RY Taira, and M Constans, et al. 2013. Integrated Modeling and Decision-Support System for Water Management in the Puget Sound Basin: Snow Caps to White Caps. PNNL-23078. Richland, WA: Pacific Northwest National Laboratory. Integrated Modeling and Decision-Support System for Water Management in the Puget Sound Basin: Snow Caps to White Caps
- Li H, MS Wigmosta, H Wu, M Huang, Y Ke, AM Coleman, and LR Leung. 2013. "A Physically Based Runoff Routing Model for Land Surface and Earth System Models." Journal of Hydrometeorology 14, no. 3:808-828. PNNL-SA-84830. doi:10.1175/JHM-D-12-015.1
- Tidewell V, J Gasper, R Goldstein, J Macknick, G Sehlke, M Webber, and MS Wigmosta. 2013. "Integrated Energy-Water Planning in the Western and Texas Interconnections." In AMSE 2013 Power Conference, July 29 - August 1, 2013, Boston, Massachusetts, 2, V002T10A009; Paper No. POWER2013-98319. New York, New York:ASME. PNNL-SA-95572. doi:10.1115/POWER2013-98319
- Venteris ER, R Skaggs, AM Coleman, and MS Wigmosta. 2013. "A GIS COST MODEL TO ASSESS THE AVAILABILITY OF FRESHWATER, SEAWATER, AND SALINE GROUNDWATER FOR ALGAL BIOFUEL PRODUCTION IN THE UNITED STATES." Environmental Science & Technology 47, no. 9:4840-4849. PNNL-SA-91131. doi:10.1021/es304135b
- Voisin N, H Li, DL Ward, M Huang, MS Wigmosta, and LR Leung. 2013. "On an improved sub-regional water resources management representation for integration into earth system models." Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 17, no. 9:3605-3622. PNNL-SA-93513. doi:10.5194/hess-17-3605-2013
- Yan Y, YK Demissie, MS Wigmosta, VC Tidwell, CW King, and MA Cook. 2013. "POTENTIAL DROUGHT IMPACTS ON ELECTRICITY GENERATION IN TEXAS." In ASME 2013 Power Conference, July 29 - August 1, 2013, Boston, Massachusetts, V002T10A008; Paper No. POWER2013-98318. New York, New York:ASME. PNNL-SA-95847. doi:10.1115/POWER2013-98318
- Ke Y, LR Leung, M Huang, AM Coleman, H Li, and MS Wigmosta. 2012. "Development of High Resolution Land Surface Parameters for the Community Land Model." Geoscientific Model Development 5, no. 6:1341-1362. PNNL-SA-91361. doi:10.5194/gmd-5-1341-2012
- Venteris ER, R Skaggs, AM Coleman, and MS Wigmosta. 2012. "An Assessment of Land Availability and Price in the Coterminous United States for Conversion to Algal Biofuel Production." Biomass & Bioenergy 47. PNNL-SA-85839. doi:10.1016/j.biombioe.2012.09.060
- Li H, M Huang, MS Wigmosta, Y Ke, AM Coleman, LR Leung, and A Wang, et al. 2011. "Evaluating runoff simulations from the Community Land Model 4.0 using observations from flux towers and a mountainous watershed." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 116. PNNL-SA-79456. doi:10.1029/2011JD016276
- Roesijadi G, AM Coleman, C Judd, FB Van Cleve, RM Thom, KE Buenau, and JD Tagestad, et al. 2011. Macroalgae Analysis A National GIS-based Analysis of Macroalgae Production Potential Summary Report and Project Plan. PNNL-21087. Richland, WA: Pacific Northwest National Laboratory. Macroalgae Analysis A National GIS-based Analysis of Macroalgae Production Potential Summary Report and Project Plan
- Wigmosta MS, AM Coleman, R Skaggs, and MH Huesemann. 2011. "National Microalgae Biofuel Production Potential and Resource Demand." Water Resources Research 47, no. 3:Article No. W00H04. PNNL-SA-73040. doi:10.1029/2010WR009966
- Wigmosta MS, AM Coleman, R Skaggs, MH Huesemann, and LJ Lane. 2011. "National Microalgae Biofuel Production Potential and Resource Demand." Water Resources Research 47. PNNL-SA-74865. doi:10.1029/2010WR009966
- Wogman NA, BD Milbrath, RF Payne, CE Seifert, JI Friese, HS Miley, and TW Bowyer, et al. 2011. A Discussion of Procedures and Equipment for the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty On-Site Inspection Environmental Sampling and Analysis. PNNL-20151. Richland, WA: Pacific Northwest National Laboratory. A Discussion of Procedures and Equipment for the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty On-Site Inspection Environmental Sampling and Analysis
- Skaggs R, MS Wigmosta, and AM Coleman. 2009. "A National Resource Availability Assessment for Microalgae Biofuel Production." In AIChE 2009 Spring National Meeting, April 27-30, 2009, Tampa, Florida. New York, New York:AiChE. PNNL-SA-65250.
- Wigmosta MS, LJ Lane, JD Tagestad, and AM Coleman. 2009. "Hydrologic and Erosion Models To Assess Land Use and Management Practices Affecting Soil Erosion." Journal of Hydrologic Engineering 14, no. 1:27-41. PNNL-SA-53368.
- Coleman AM, MS Wigmosta, LJ Lane, JD Tagestad, and D Roberts. 2008. "A GIS-based Adaptive Management Decision Support System to Develop a Multi-Objective Framework: A case study utilizing GIS technologies and physically-based models to archieve improved decision making for site management." Journal of Map & Geography Libraries 4, no. 2:269 - 284. PNNL-SA-50845.
- Tagestad JD, J Bolte, M Guzy, DL Woodruff, K Humes, V Walden, and MS Wigmosta, et al. 2008. Pacific Northwest Regional Collaboratory Annual Report For Synergy Vii (2007). PNNL-17271. Richland, WA: Pacific Northwest National Laboratory.
- Wigmosta MS, MK Gill, AM Coleman, R Prasad, and LW Vail. 2007. "A Distributed Modeling System for Short-Term to Seasonal Ensemble Streamflow Forecasting in Snowmelt Dominated Basins." In Proceedings of the 75th Annual Western Snow Conference, April 16-19, 2007, Kona, HI, edited by R Julander, 187-194. Soda Springs, California:Western Snow Conference. PNNL-SA-56074.
- Waichler SR, BC Wemple, and MS Wigmosta. 2005. "Simulation of Water Balance and Forest Treatment Effects at the H.J. Andrews Experimental Forest." Hydrological Processes 19, no. 16:3177-3199. PNWD-SA-5745.
- Waichler SR, and MS Wigmosta. 2003. "Development of Hourly Meteorological Values From Daily Data and Significance to Hydrological Modeling at H.J. Andrews Experimental Forest." Journal of Hydrometeorology 4, no. 2:251-263. PNWD-SA-5703.
- Wigmosta MS, and LR Leung. 2003. "Potential Impacts of Climate Change on Streamflow and Flooding in Snow Dominated Forest Basins." In Environmental Change and Geomorphic Hazards in Forests: IUFRO Research Series, No. 9, edited by R.C Sidle. 7-24. Wallingford:CABI Publishing. PNNL-SA-31837.
- Wigmosta MS, B Nijssen, and P Storck. 2002. "The Distributed Hydrology Soil Vegetation Model." In Mathematical Models of Small Watershed Hydrology and Applications, edited by VP Singh, and DK Frevert. 7-42. Highlands Ranch, Colorado:Water Resources Publications. PNNL-SA-36347.
- Petrie GM, JD Tagestad, KL Steinmaus, MS Wigmosta, and C Read. 2001. "Multidata analysis for automatic river extraction." In International Symposium on Remote Sensing and Hydrology, edited by Owe, M., 267, 427-432. Wallingford, Oxfordshire, :IAHS. PNWD-SA-4683.
- Wigmosta MS, and SJ Burges. 2001. Land Use and Watersheds: Human Influence on Hydrology and Geomorphology in Urban and Forest Areas. Water Science and Application Series. Washington, District Of Columbia:American Geophysical Union. PNNL-SA-31836.
- Wigmosta MS and WA Perkins. 2001. "Simulating the effects of forest roads on watershed hydrology." In Land Use and Watersheds: Human Influence on Hydrology and Geomorphology in Urban and Forest Areas, AGU Water Science and Application Series, edited by M.S. Wigmosta and S.J. Burges, 2, 127-143. Washington, District Of Columbia:American Geophysical Union. PNWD-SA-4684.
- Wigmosta MS and WA Perkins. 2001. "Simulating the effects of forest roads on watershed hydrology." In Land Use and Watersheds: Human Influence on Hydrology and Geomorphology in Urban and Forest Areas, Water Science and Applications Series, edited by MS Wigmosta and SJ Burges. 127-143. Washington, District Of Columbia:American Geophysical Union. PNNL-SA-43007.
- Wogman NA, MS Wigmosta, DW Swindle, PW Krey, and PW Krey. 2001. "Wide-Area Aquatic Sampling and Analysis for the Detection of Nuclear Proliferation." Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry 248, no. No. 3 (2001):611-615. PNNL-SA-32775-Rev 1.
- Leung LR and MS Wigmosta. 2000. "The roles of subgrid topography on land-atmosphere interactions." In 15th Conference On Hydrology, 194-197. Boston, Massachusetts:American Meteorological Society. PNNL-SA-31707.
- Leung LR and MS Wigmosta. 1999. "Potential climate change impacts on mountain watersheds in the Pacific Northwest." Journal of the American Water Resources Association 35, no. 6:1463-1471. PNNL-SA-31708.
- Wigmosta MS and DP Lettenmaier. 1999. "A comparison of simplified methods for routing topographically driven subsurface flow." Water Resources Research 35, no. 1:255-264. PNNL-SA-31709.
- Burges SJ, MS Wigmosta, and JM Meena. 1998. "Hydrological Effects of Land-Use Change in a Zero-Order Catchment." Journal of Hydrologic Engineering 3, no. 2:86-97. PNNL-SA-31838. doi:10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0699(1998)3:2(86)