Kaizad Patel’s work focuses on physical and chemical controls on microbially-mediated soil Carbon cycling. This research focuses on the role of water as a solvent and conduit for nutrients and shifting hydrologic connectivities in drying and wetting soils. His research involves the use of molecular chemical and biochemical approaches to study the stabilization and destabilization of soil organic matter, through field and laboratory incubations.
- Soil biogeochemistry
- Watershed processes
- Carbon cycling
- Disturbance effects
- PhD in Ecology and Environmental Science, University of Maine, 2018
- MES in Earth Science, University of Pennsylvania, 2013
- BS in Pharmacy, University of Mumbai, 2011
Affiliations and Professional Service
- Soil Science Society of America
- American Geophysical Union
- Patel K.F., A.N. Myers-Pigg, B. Bond-Lamberty, S.J. Fansler, C. Norris, S.A. McKever, and J. Zheng, et al. 2021. "Soil carbon dynamics during drying vs. rewetting: Importance of antecedent moisture conditions." Soil Biology and Biochemistry 156. PNNL-SA-156504. doi:10.1016/j.soilbio.2021.108165
- Patel K.F., I. Fernandez, S.J. Nelson, S. Norton, and C.J. Spencer. 2021. "The Bear Brook Watershed in Maine: Multi-Decadal Whole-Watershed Experimental Acidification." Hydrological Processes 35, no. 5:e14147. PNNL-SA-157635. doi:10.1002/hyp.14147
- Patel K.F., V. Tejnecky, T. Ohno, V.L. Bailey, R.L. Sleighter, and P.G. Hatcher. 2021. "Reactive oxygen species alter chemical composition and adsorptive fractionation of soil-derived organic matter." Geoderma 384. PNNL-SA-154105. doi:10.1016/j.geoderma.2020.114805
- Patel K.F., C. Tatariw, J.D. MacRae, T. Ohno, S.J. Nelson, and I. Fernandez. 2020. "Snowmelt Periods as Hot Moments for Soil N Dynamics: a Case Study in Maine, USA." Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 192, no. 12:Article No. 777. PNNL-SA-144285. doi:10.1007/s10661-020-08733-0
- Patel K.F., I. Fernandez, S.J. Nelson, J. Malcomb, and S. Norton. 2020. "Contrasting stream nitrate and sulfate response to recovery from experimental watershed acidification." Biogeochemistry 151, no. 2-3:127-138. PNNL-SA-153161. doi:10.1007/s10533-020-00711-5
- Rod K.A., K.F. Patel, S. Kumar, E. Cantando, W. Leng, R.K. Kukkadapu, and O. Qafoku, et al. 2020. "Dispersible Colloid Facilitated Release of Organic Carbon From Two Contrasting Riparian Sediments." Frontiers in Water 2. PNNL-SA-160357. doi:10.3389/frwa.2020.560707
- Salvino C., K.F. Patel, I. Fernandez, M. Gruselle, C. Tatariw, and J.D. MacRae. 2019. "Phosphorus limits nitrogen dynamics in the O horizon of a forested watershed in Maine, USA." Soil Science Society of America Journal 83, no. 4:1209-1218. PNNL-SA-143045. doi:10.2136/sssaj2019.02.0043
- Moorberg C., E. Brevik, and K.F. Patel. 2019. "Chapter 1 Introduction." In Soil and Water Conservation: An Annotated Bibliography, edited by Colby Moorberg. PNNL-SA-147708.
- Moorberg C., E. Brevik, and K.F. Patel. 2019. "Key Concepts in Soil Science." In Soil and Water Conservation: An Annotated Bibliography, edited by Colby Moorberg. Manhattan, Kansas:New Prairie Press. PNNL-SA-147711.
- Contosta A.R., N.J. Casson, S. Garlick, S.J. Nelson, M.P. Ayres, E.A. Burakowski, and J.L. Campbell, et al. 2019. "Northern forest winters have lost cold, snowy conditions that are important for ecosystems and human communities." Ecological Applications 29, no. 7. PNNL-SA-143143. doi:10.1002/eap.1974