Dr. Holladay is responsible for PNNL’s $15 million per year research portfolio on biofuels, products and energy. This portfolio includes the sustainable utilization of terrestrial biomass and marine systems (micro and macro algae) to fuels and chemicals via chemical and biological catalysis. Holladay is experienced in organizing consortia of national laboratories, industry and academia, including the National Advanced Biofuels Consortium (Chief Technology Officer) and the National Alliance for Advanced Biofuels and Bioproducts (Chief Operations Officer). Holladay has overseen a significant growth in the research volume at PNNL, particularly in catalyst capabilities in the Bioproducts Sciences and Engineering Laboratory and sustainability analysis as we seek to improve the science base for conversion of biomass with respect to understanding water and land use impacts. Prior to his current assignment Holladay’s research focus was in developing new catalysts and processes for conversion of a variety of biomass feedstocks to chemicals using to solve problems in the area of condensed phase heterogeneous catalysis. He also played key roles in multiple assessment activities examining top potential uses for sugars, lignin and lipids.
- Biomass conversion to fuels and chemicals
- Ph.D., Organic Chemistry, University of Wisconsin, 1994
- B.Sc., Chemistry, Brigham Young University, 1989
Affiliations and Professional Service
- American Chemical Society
- American Oil Chemist's Society
- North American Catalyst Society
- Organic Reactions Catalyst Society
Awards and Recognitions
- 2011: Excellence in Technology Transfer Award, Federal Laboratory Consortium, for Propylene Glycol from Renewable Sources
- 2010: Inventor of the Year, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
- U.S. Patent No. 8,501,963, August 6, 2013, "Process for Producing Cyclic Compounds ".
- U.S. Patent No. 7,674,916, March 9, 2010, "Process for Producing Cyclic Compounds ".
- U.S. Patent No. 7,615,652, November 10, 2009, "Two-Stage Dehydration of Sugars".
- U.S. Patent No. 6,992,209, January 31, 2006, "Methods of Forming Alpha, Beta-Unsaturated Acids and Esters ".
- Lammers P, MH Huesemann, W Boeing, DB Anderson, RG Arnold, X Bai, M Bhole, Y Brhanavan, L Brown, J Brown, JK Brown, S Chisholm, CM Downes, S Fulbright, Y Ge, JE Holladay, B Ketheesan, A Khopkar, A Koushik, P Laur, BL Marrone, JB Mott, N Nirmalakhandan, KL Ogden, RW Parsons, JE Polle, R Ryan, T Samocha, RT Sayre, MJ Seger, T Selvaratnam, R Sui, A Thomasson, A Unc, W Van Voorhies, PM Waller, Y Yao, and J�A Olivares. 2017. "Review of the cultivation program within the National Alliance for Advanced Biofuels and Bioproducts." Algal Research 22:166-186. doi:10.1016/j.algal.2016.11.021
- Unkefer CJ, RT Sayre, JK Magnuson, DB Anderson, I Baxter, IK Blaby, JK Brown, M Carleton, RA Cattolico, T Dale, TP Devarenne, CM Downes, SK Dutcher, DT Fox, UW Goodenough, J Jaworski, JE Holladay, DM Kramer, AT Koppisch, MS Lipton, BL Marrone, MM Mccormick, I Molnar, JB Mott, KL Ogden, EA Panisko, M Pellegrini, JE Polle, JW Richardson, M Sabarskyo, SR Starkenburg, GD Stormo, M Teshima, S Twary, PJ Unkefer, J Yuan, and J�A Olivares. 2017. "Review of the algal biology program within the National Alliance for Advanced Biofuels and Bioproducts." Algal Research 22:187-215. doi:10.1016/j.algal.2016.06.002
- White JF, JE Holladay, AH Zacher, JG Frye, and TA Werpy. 2014. "Challenges in Catalytic Manufacture of Renewable Pyrrolidinones from Fermentation Derived Succinate." Topics in Catalysis 57(17):1325-1334. doi:10.1007/s11244-014-0299-z
- Dagle RA, VMC Lebarbier, JA Lizarazo Adarme, DL King, Y Zhu, MJ Gray, SB Jones, MJ Biddy, RT Hallen, Y Wang, JF White, JE Holladay, and DR Palo. 2013. Single-Step Syngas-to-Distillates (S2D) Synthesis via Methanol and Dimethyl Ether Intermediates: Final Report. PNNL-22984, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Elliott DC, TR Hart, AJ Schmidt, GG Neuenschwander, LJ Rotness, Jr, MV Olarte, AH Zacher, KO Albrecht, RT Hallen, and JE Holladay. 2013. "Process Development for Hydrothermal Liquefaction of Algae Feedstocks in a Continuous-Flow Reactor ." Algal Research 2(4):445-454.
- Zhao H, HM Brown, JE Holladay, and ZC Zhang. 2012. "Prominent roles of impurities in ionic liquid for catalytic conversion of carbohydrates ." Topics in Catalysis 55(1-2):33-37. doi:10.1007/s11244-012-9772-8
- Bu Q, H Lei, S Ren, L Wang, JE Holladay, Q Zhang, J Tang, and R Ruan. 2011. "Phenol and phenolics from lignocellulosic biomass by catalytic microwave pyrolysis." Bioresource Technology 102(13):7004-7007. doi:10.1016/j.biortech.2011.04.025
- Lebarbier VMC, D Mei, DH Kim, A Andersen, JL Male, JE Holladay, RJ Rousseau, and Y Wang. 2011. "Effects of La2O3 on the mixed higher alcohols synthesis from syngas over Co catalysts: A combined theoretical and experimental study." Journal of Physical Chemistry C 115(35):17440-17451. doi:10.1021/jp204003q
- Lei H, S Ren, L Wang, Q Bu, J Julson, JE Holladay, and R Ruan. 2011. "Microwave pyrolysis of distillers dried grain with solubles (DDGS) for biofuel production." Bioresource Technology 102(10):6208-6213. doi:10.1016/j.biortech.2011.02.050
- Xi Y, JE Holladay, JG Frye, AA Oberg, JE Jackson, and DJ Miller. 2010. "A Kinetic and Mass Transfer Model for Glycerol Hydrogenolysis in a Trickle-Bed Reactor." Organic Process Research & Development 14 (6):1304-1312.
- Holladay JE, JB Binder, MJ Gray, JF White, and ZC Zhang. 2009. "Reactions of Lignin Model Compounds in Ionic Liquids." Biomass & Bioenergy 33(9):1122-1130. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biombioe.2009.03.006
- Jones SB, C Valkenburt, CW Walton, DC Elliott, JE Holladay, DJ Stevens, C Kinchin, and S Czernik. 2009. Production of Gasoline and Diesel from Biomass via Fast Pyrolysis, Hydrotreating and Hydrocracking: A Design Case. PNNL-18284, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Jones SB, C Valkenburt, CW Walton, DC Elliott, JE Holladay, DJ Stevens, C Kinchin, and S Czernik. 2009. Production of Gasoline and Diesel from Biomass via Fast Pyrolysis, Hydrotreating and Hydrocracking: A Design Case. PNNL-18284 Rev. 1, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Zacher AH, JE Holladay, JG Frye, HM Brown, DM Santosa, and AA Oberg. 2009. Final Project Report Project 10749-188.8.131.52 2007-2009. PNNL-18407, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Holladay JE, HM Brown, AM Appel, and ZC Zhang. 2008. "Novel Hydride Transfer Catalysis for Carbohydrate Conversions." In Proceedings of the 22nd Conference on Catalysis of Organic Reactions, vol. 123, ed. ML Prunier, pp. 411-418. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.
- Holladay JE, JF White, JJ Bozell, and D Johnson. 2007. Top Value-Added Chemicals from Biomass - Volume II-Results of Screening for Potential Candidates from Biorefinery Lignin . PNNL-16983, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Zhao H, JE Holladay, HM Brown, and ZC Zhang. 2007. "Metal Chlorides in Ionic Liquid Solvents Convert Sugars to 5-Hydroxymethylfurfural." Science 316(5831):1597-1600. doi:10.1126/science.1141199
- Zhao H, JE Holladay, JH Kwak, and ZC Zhang. 2007. "A new route to improved glucose yields in cellulose hydrolysis." Journal of Biobased Materials and Bioenergy 1(2):210-214.
- Zhao H, JE Holladay, JH Kwak, and ZC Zhang. 2007. "Inverse Temperature-Dependent Pathway of Cellulose Decrystallization in Trifluoroacetic Acid." Journal of Physical Chemistry B 111(19):5295-5300. doi:10.1021/jp070253f
- Zhao H, JH Kwak, Y Wang, JA Franz, JM White, and JE Holladay. 2007. "Interactions between cellulose and N-Methylmorpholine-N-oxide." Carbohydrate Polymers 67(1):97-103. doi:10.1016/j.carbpol.2006.04.019
- Zhao H, JH Kwak, ZC Zhang, HM Brown, BW Arey, and JE Holladay. 2007. "Studying Cellulose Fiber Structure by SEM, XRD, NMR and Acid Hydrolysis." Carbohydrate Polymers 68(2):235-241. doi:10.1016/j.carbpol.2006.12.013
- Werpy TA, JG Frye, and JE Holladay. 2006. "Succinic Acid-A Model Building Block for Chemical Production from Renewable Resources." Chapter 13 in Biorefineries - Industrial Processes and Products, vol. 2, ed. B Kamm, PR Gruber, and M Kamm, pp. 367-379. Wiley - VCH, Weinham, Germany.
- Zhao H, JH Kwak, Y Wang, JA Franz, JM White, and JE Holladay. 2006. "Effects of crystallinity on dilute acid hydrolysis of cellulose by cellulose ball-milling study." Energy and Fuels (20):807-811.
- Holladay JE, and TA Werpy. 2005. "Hydrogenation of Glutamic Acid to Value Added Products." In Twentieth Conference on Catalysis of Organic Reactions 2004 : Hilton Head Island, S.C. published in Chemical Industries 104, ed. John R. Sowa, Jr., pp. 155-164. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.
- Holladay JE, TA Werpy, and DS Muzatko. 2004. "Catalytic Hydrogenation of Glutamic Acid." Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology 113-16:857-869.
- Werpy TA, JE Holladay, and JF White. 2004. Top Value Added Chemicals From Biomass: I. Results of Screening for Potential Candidates from Sugars and Synthesis Gas . PNNL-14808, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.