Dr. John Feo is a senior manager at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL). Dr. Feo received his PhD in Computer Science from The University of Texas at Austin. He began his career at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory where he managed the Computer Science group and was the principal investigator leading the Sisal Language Project. Dr. Feo then joined Tera Computer Company (now Cray Inc.) where he was a principal engineer and product manager for MTA-1 and MTA-2, the first two generations of Cray's multithreaded architecture. After a short two-year “sabbatical” at Microsoft, where he led a software group to develop a next-generation virtual reality platform, he joined PNNL.
At PNNL, Dr. Feo has led major Department of Defense (DOD) and Department of Energy (DOE) research projects in high-performance computing, data analytics, graph platforms, runtime systems, and performance studies. He has managed research centers at the Laboratory and the University of Washington. Currently, he is principal investigator of one of three government Test & Evaluation Teams leading the Advanced Graphic Intelligence Logical Computing Environment (AGILE) project of the Intelligence Advanced Research Projects Activity (IARPA). The PNNL AGILE team is responsible for designing mixed analytic workflows for evaluating novel computer system designs.
Dr. Feo has held academic positions at the University of California, Davis and is an adjunct faculty at the Washington State University.
- Parallel programming
- Graph algorithms
- Multithreaded architectures
- Functional languages
- Programming languages
- Performance studies.
- PhD in Computer Science, The University of Texas at Austin
- MA in Astronomy, The University of Texas at Austin
- BA in Physics, Mathematics, and Astronomy, University of Pennsylvania.
Affiliations and Professional Service
- Association for Computing Machinery.
- U.S. Patent No. 10146828, December 4, 2018, “System and methods for automated detection, reasoning and recommendations for resilient cyber systems”
- U.S. Patent No. US8005770B2, August 23, 2011, “Parallel generation of a Bayesian Network”
- U.S. Patent no. WO/1997/039421, October 23, 1997, “Method for data compression by associating complex numbers with files of data values”.
- Feo, J.T. "The Need for Integrated Analytic Platforms and Multithreaded Runtime Systems." HPEC 2020, September 2020, Boston, MA.
- Castellana V.G., M. Drocco, J.T. Feo, J. Firoz, T.A. Kanewala, A. Lumsdaine, and J.B. Manzano Franco, et al. 2019. "A Parallel Graph Environment for Real-World Data Analytics Workflows." In Design, Automation & Test in Europe Conference & Exhibition (DATE 2019), March 25-29, 2019, Florence, Italy, 1313-1318. Piscataway, New Jersey: IEEE. PNNL-SA-140268. doi:10.23919/DATE.2019.8715196
- Ezick J., T. Henretty, M. Baskaran, R. Lethin, J.T. Feo, T. Tuan, and C. Coley, et al. 2019. "Combining Tensor Decompositions and Graph Analytics to Provide Cyber Situational Awareness at HPC Scale." In IEEE High Performance Extreme Computing Conference (HPEC 2019), September 24-26, 2019, Waltham, MA. Piscataway, New Jersey: IEEE. PNNL-SA-143871. doi:10.1109/HPEC.2019.8916559
- Tumeo A., V.G. Castellana, and J.T. Feo. 2018. "Foreword: 8th Workshop on Irregular Applications: Architectures and Algorithms." In IEEE/ACM 8th Workshop on Irregular Applications: Architectures and Algorithms (IA3 2018), November 12, 2018, Dallas, TX, 1, vii-viii. Los Alamitos, California: IEEE Computer Society. PNNL-SA-143418. doi:10.1109/IA3.2018.00005
- Castellana V.G., M. Minutoli, S. Bhatt, K. Agarwal, J.T. Feo, D.G. Chavarria Miranda, and D.J. Haglin. 2017. "High-Performance Data Analytics Beyond the Relational and Graph Data Models with GEMS." In IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium Workshops (IPDPSW 2017), May 29-June 2, 2017, Orlando, Florida, 1029-1038. Piscataway, New Jersey: IEEE. PNNL-SA-124655. doi:10.1109/IPDPSW.2017.70
- Chavarría-Miranda D., V.G. Castellana, A. Morari, D.J. Haglin, and J.T. Feo. 2016. "GraQL: A Query Language for High-Performance Attributed Graph Databases." In IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium Workshops, May 23-27, 2016, Chicago, Illinois. Piscataway, New Jersey: IEEE. PNNL-SA-116653. doi:10.1109/IPDPSW.2016.216
- Choudhury S., L. Holder, G. Chin, K. Agarwal, and J.T. Feo. 2015. "A Selectivity based approach to Continuous Pattern Detection in Streaming Graphs." In Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on Extending Database Technology (EDBT), March 23-27, 2015, Brussels, Belgium, 157-168. Konstanz: OpenProceedings.org. PNNL-SA-107908. doi:10.5441/002/edbt.2015.15
- Shrestha S., G.R. Gao, J.B. Manzano Franco, A. Marquez, and J.T. Feo. 2015. "Locality Aware Concurrent Start for Stencil Applications." In IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Code Generation and Optimization (CGO 2015), February 7-11, 2015, San Francisco, California, 157-166. Piscataway, New Jersey: IEEE. PNNL-SA-108612. doi:10.1109/CGO.2015.7054196
- Shrestha S., J.B. Manzano Franco, A. Marquez, J.T. Feo, and G.R. Gao. 2015. "Jagged Tiling for Intra-tile Parallelism and Fine-Grain Multithreading." In Languages and Compilers for Parallel Computing: 27th International Workshop (LCPC 2014), September 15-17, 2014, Hillsboro, Oregon. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, edited by J Brodman and P Tu, 8967, 161-175. New York, New York: Springer. PNNL-SA-104854. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-17473-0_11
- Chin G., S. Choudhury, J.T. Feo, and L. Holder. 2014. "Predicting and Detecting Emerging Cyberattack Patterns Using StreamWorks." In CISR '14 Proceedings of the 9th Annual Cyber and Information Security Research Conference, 93-96. New York, New York: A.C.M. PNNL-SA-92139. doi:10.1145/2602087.2602111
- Lucas A.J., M. Stalizer, and J.T. Feo. 2014. "Parallel Implementation of Fast Randomized Algorithms for Low Rank Matrix Decomposition." Parallel Processing Letters 24, no. 1: Article No. 1450004. PNNL-SA-91896. doi:10.1142/S0129626414500042
- Morari A., V.G. Castellana, O. Villa, A. Tumeo, J.R. Weaver, D.J. Haglin, and S. Choudhury, et al. 2014. "Scaling Semantic Graph Databases in Size and Performance." IEEE Micro 34, no. 4:16-26. PNNL-SA-101644. doi:10.1109/MM.2014.39
- Weaver J.R., V.G. Castellana, A. Morari, A. Tumeo, S. Purohit, A.R. Chappell, and D.J. Haglin, et al. 2014. "Toward a Data Scalable Solution for Facilitating Discovery of Science Resources." Parallel Computing 40, no. 10:682-696. PNNL-SA-101643. doi:10.1016/j.parco.2014.08.002
- Chappell A.R., S. Choudhury, J.T. Feo, D.J. Haglin, A. Morari, S. Purohit, and K.L. Schuchardt, et al. 2013. "Toward a Data Scalable Solution for Facilitating Discovery of Scientific Data Resources." In DISCS-2013: Proceedings of the International Workshop on Data-Intensive Scalable Computing Systems, November 18, 2013, Denver, CO, 55-60. New York, New York: Association for Computing Machinery. PNNL-SA-98169. doi:10.1145/2534645.2534655
- Choudhury S., L. Holder, G. Chin, A. Ray, S.J. Beus, and J.T. Feo. 2013. "StreamWorks - A system for Dynamic Graph Search." In Proceedings of the 2013 ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data (SIGMOD 2013), June 22-27, 2013, New York, 1101-1104. New York, New York: ACM. PNNL-SA-92483. doi:10.1145/2463676.2463697
- Choudhury S., L. Holder, G. Chin, and J.T. Feo. 2013. "Fast Search for Dynamic Multi-Relational Graphs." In ACM SIGMOD Workshop on Dynamic Networks Management and Mining (DyNetMM 2013), June 22-27, 2013, New York, 1-8. New York, New York: Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). PNNL-SA-94808. doi:10.1145/2489247.2489251
- Morari A., V.G. Castellana, D.J. Haglin, J.T. Feo, J.R. Weaver, A. Tumeo, and O. Villa. 2013. "Accelerating semantic graph databases on commodity clusters." In IEEE International Conference on Big Data (Big Data 2013), October 6-9, 2013, Silicon Valley, California, 768-772. Piscataway, New Jersey: Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. PNNL-SA-98187. doi:10.1109/BigData.2013.6691650
- Carson J.P., A.P. Kuprat, S.M. Colby, C.A. Davis, C. Basciano, K. Greene, and J.T. Feo, et al. 2012. "Detecting Distance between Injected Microspheres and Target Tumor via 3D Reconstruction of Tissue Sections." In 2012 Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), August 28 - September 1, San Diego, California, 1149-1152. Piscataway, New Jersey: IEEE. PNNL-SA-86493. doi:10.1109/EMBC.2012.6346139
- Catalyurek U.V., J.T. Feo, A.H. Gebremedhin, M. Halappanavar, and A. Pothen. 2012. "Multithreaded Algorithms for Graph Coloring." Parallel Computing 38, no. 10-11:576-594. PNNL-SA-77886. doi:10.1016/j.parco.2012.07.001
- Chin G., A. Marquez, S. Choudhury, and J.T. Feo. 2012. "Scalable Triadic Analysis of Large-Scale Graphs: Multi-Core vs. Multi-Processor vs. Multi-Threaded Shared Memory Architectures." In Proceedings of the 2012 IEEE 24th International Symposium on Computer Architecture and High Performance Computing, (SBAC-PAD) October 24-26, 2012, New York, NY, 163-170. Los Alamitos, California: IEEE Computer Society. PNNL-SA-78610. doi:10.1109/SBAC-PAD.2012.39
- Feo J.T., O. Villa, A. Tumeo, and S. Secchi. 2012. "Irregular Applications: Architectures & Algorithms." In IAAA 2011 - Proceedings of the First Workshop on Irregular Applications: Architectures & Algorithms, November 12-18, 2011, Seattle, Washington. New York, New York: Association for Computing Machinery. PNNL-SA-84461. doi:10.1145/2089142.2089144
- Halappanavar M., J.T. Feo, K. Dempsey, H. Ali, and S. Bhowmick. 2012. "A Novel Multithreaded Algorithm For Extracting Maximal Chordal Subgraphs." In 41st International Conference on Parallel Processing (ICPP), September 10-13, 2012, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 58-67. Piscataway, New Jersey: Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. PNNL-SA-85602. doi:10.1109/ICPP.2012.10
- Halappanavar M., J.T. Feo, O. Villa, A. Tumeo, and A. Pothen. 2012. "Approximate Weighted Matching On Emerging Manycore and Multithreaded Architectures." International Journal of High Performance Computing Applications 26, no. 4:413-430. PNNL-SA-78710. doi:10.1177/1094342012452893
- Shrestha S., C. Su, A.M. White, J.B. Manzano Franco, A. Marquez, and J.T. Feo. 2012. "MODA A Framework for Memory Centric Performance Characterization." In Workshop on High-performance Infrastructure for Scalable Tools (WHIST), June 29, 2012, Venice, Italy. New York, New York: Association for Computing Machinery. PNNL-SA-91114.
- Choudhury S., L. Holder, G. Chin, and J.T. Feo. 2011. "Large-Scale Continuous Subgraph Queries on Streams." In Proceedings of the 1st Annual Workshop on High-Performance Computing Meets Databases (HPCBD 2011), November 12-18, 2011, Seattle, Washington, 29-32. New York: Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). PNNL-SA-82495. doi:10.1145/2125636.2125647
- Feo J.T. 2011. "Sisal." In Encyclopedia of Parallel Computing, edited by D Padua. 1827-1831. New York, New York: Springer. PNNL-SA-74430.
- Feo J.T., O. Villa, A. Tumeo, and S. Secchi. 2011. "Towards Efficient Execution of Irregular Applications: Panel Outline." In IAAA 2011: Proceedings of the First Workshop on Irregular Applications: Architectures & Algorithms, November 12-18, 2011, Seattle, Washington, 43-44. New York, New York: Association of Computing Machinery. PNNL-SA-84462. doi:10.1145/2089142.2089154
- Joslyn C.A., R.D. Adolf, S. al-Saffar, J.T. Feo, D.J. Haglin, G.E. Mackey, and D.W. Mizell. 2011. "High Performance Descriptive Semantic Analysis of Semantic Graph Databases." In Proceedings of the 1st High Performance Computing for the Semantic Web (HPCSW 2011), collocated with the 8th Extended Semantic Web Conference (ESWC 2011), May 29-30, 2011, Heraklion, Greece, edited by J Weaver, et al, 736. Aachen: Sun SITE, Informatik V, RWTH Aachen. PNNL-SA-78284.
- Mackey P.S., J.T. Feo, P.C. Wong, and Y. Chen. 2011. "A Highly Parallel Implementation of K-Means for Multithreaded Architecture." In Proceedings of the 19th High Performance Computing Symposia (HPC 2011): SCS Spring Simulation Multiconference (SpringSim 2011), April 3-7, 2011, Boston, MA. San Diego, California: Society for Computer Simulation International. PNNL-SA-76703.
- Goodman E.L., D.J. Haglin, C. Scherrer, D. Chavarría-Miranda, J.A. Mogill, and J.T. Feo. 2010. "Hashing Strategies for the Cray XMT." In IEEE International Symposium on Parallel & Distributed Processing, Workshops and Phd Forum (IPDPSW 2010), 1-8. Piscataway, New Jersey: Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. PNNL-SA-70079. doi:10.1109/IPDPSW.2010.5470688
- Jin S., Z. Huang, Y. Chen, D. Chavarría-Miranda, J.T. Feo, and P.C. Wong. 2010. "A Novel Application of Parallel Betweenness Centrality to Power Grid Contingency Analysis." In IEEE International Symposium on Parallel & Distributed Processing (IPDPS 2010), 1-7. Piscataway, New Jersey: Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. PNNL-SA-68817. doi:10.1109/IPDPS.2010.5470400
- Joslyn C.A., R.D. Adolf, S. Al-Saffar, J.T. Feo, E.L. Goodman, D.J. Haglin, and G.E. Mackey, et al. 2010. "High Performance Semantic Factoring of Giga-Scale Semantic Graph Databases." In Proceedings of the 9th International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC 2010), Semantic Web Challenge, November 7-11, 2010, Shanghai, China. Karlsruhe: Semantic Web Science Association. PNNL-SA-75473.
- Gorton I., Z. Huang, Y. Chen, B.K. Kalahar, S. Jin, D. Chavarría-Miranda, and D.J. Baxter, et al. 2009. "A High-Performance Hybrid Computing Approach to Massive Contingency Analysis in the Power Grid." In 5th IEEE International Conference on e-Science (e-Science 2009), December 9-11, 2009, Oxford, United Kingdom, 277-283. Los Alamitos, California: IEEE Computer Society. PNNL-SA-68218. doi:10.1109/e-Science.2009.46