Dr. Xiao is currently a Battelle Fellow and leads Battery Materials & System Group at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL). She is also a PNNL-University of Washington distinguished faculty fellow. Dr. Xiao’s research spans from fundamental research, battery materials scaleup and manufacturing, to cell fabrication and engineering for vehicle electrification, sensors, and grid energy storage. She has published more than 100 peer-reviewed journal papers and been named top 1% Clarivate Analytics Highly Cited Researcher since 2017. She holds eighteen patents in the area of energy storage and seven of them have been licensed to industry. Dr. Xiao currently serves as the Deputy Director of DOE’s Innovation Center for Battery500 Consortium to develop next-generation lithium metal batteries for electrical vehicles. She also directs the Cathode-Electrolyte Interphase (CEI) Consortium which focuses on integrating scientific tools, across national labs, to identify and address interfacial challenges initiating on cathode surfaces, along with cross validating all new findings at industry-relevant scales.
Ph. D in Materials Chemistry, State University of New York (SUNY) at Binghamton, NY
M.S. in Physical Chemistry, Wuhan University, China
B.Sc. in Chemistry, Wuhan University, China
Awards and Recognitions
- E.O. Lawrence Award, US Department of Energy (2022)
- Elected Member of Washington State Academy of Science (2022)
- Lab Director’s Exceptional Scientific Achievements Award (2022)
- R&D 100 Award for Lab-on-a-Fish (2021)
- The Electrochemical Society (ECS) Battery Division Technology Award (2020)
- Fellow of The Electrochemical Society (2020)
- Materials Today Rising Star Award (2020)
- Federal Laboratory Consortium (FLC) Award for Excellence in Technology Transfer of the Suite of Fish and Wildlife Technologies to Advanced Telemetry Systems (2020)
- Young Researcher Award from International Automotive Lithium Battery Association (Ulm, Germany, 2019)
- Distinguished Inventor of Battelle (2019)
- Exceptional Contribution Award from DOE innovation Center for Battery500 Consortium (2018)
- Top 1% Clarivate Analytics Highly Cited Researcher (formerly part of Thomson Reuters) (2019,2018, 2017)
- Arkansas Research Alliance Scholar (2015)
- Ronald L. Brodzinski Early Career Exceptional Achievement Award (2013)
- Project of The Year Award from PNNL (2013, 2014, 2017, 2018)
- Publication of The Year Award from PNNL (2013)
- R&D 100 Award: "Graphene Nanostructures for Lithium Batteries" (2012)
- Zappert Award from the American Chemical Society (ACS) (2008)
- Clifford E. Myers Award from SUNY Binghamton (2008)
Advisory Board Roles
- The external advisory board member for Energy Frontier Research Center (EFRC) on Synthetic Control Across Length-scales for Advancing Rechargeables (SCALAR) (Lead: UCLA)
- Associate Editor, Energy Storage Materials
- Editor, Journal of Power Source
- Editorial Board Member, Communications Materials
- Editorial Advisory Board, Journal of Power Sources Advances
Selected Publications from Over 130 Papers
- J. Xiao*, “A granular approach to electrode design”, Science, 2022, 376, 455.
- J. Hu, L. Li, Y. Bi, J. Tao, J. Lochala, D. Liu, B.Wu, X.Cao, S. Chae, C. Wang, J. Xiao*, “Locking Oxygen in Lattice: A Quantifiable Comparison of Gas Generation in Polycrystalline and Single Crystal Ni-Rich Cathodes”, Energy Storage Materials, 2022, 47, 195-202, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ensm.2022.02.025
- J. Xiao*, C. Anderson, X.Cao, H.-J. Chang, R. Feng, Q. Huang, Y. Jin, H. Job, J.-M. Kim, P. M. L. Le, D. Liu, L. Seymour, N. Shamim, L. Shi, B. Sivakumar, “Electrochemistry in Understanding and Designing Electrochemical Energy Storage Systems” (invited), Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 2022, 169, 010524.
- Y. Bi, Q. Li, R.Yi and J.Xiao*, “To Pave the Way for Large-Scale Electrode Processing of Moisture-Sensitive Ni-Rich Cathodes” (invited), Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 2022, 169, 020521.
- C. Niu, D.Liu, J.Lochala, C.S. Anderson, X.Cao, M.E.Gross, W.Xu, J.-G. Zhang, M.S. Whittingham, J. Xiao*, J.Liu, “Balancing interfacial reactions to achieve long cycle life in high-energy lithium metal batteries”, Nature Energy, 2021,6, 723-732. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41560-021-00852-3
- J.Hu, B.Wu, S.Chae, J.Lochala, Y.Bi, J. Xiao*, “Achieving highly reproducible results in graphite-based Li-ion full coin cells”, Joule, 2021, 5, 1-5.
- Z. Shadike, H. Lee, O. Borodin, X. Cao, X.Fan, X. Wang,R.Lin, S.-M. Bak, S.Ghose, K. Xu, C. Wang, J. Liu, J. Xiao*, X.-Q. Yang and E. Hu, “Identification of LiH and nanocrystalline LiF in the solid–electrolyte interphase of lithium metal anodes”, Nature Nanotechnology, 2021, 16, 549-554.
- Y. Bi, J. Tao, Y. Wu, L.Li, Y. Xu, E. Hu, B. Wu, J. Hu,C. Wang, J.-G. Zhang, Y Qi, J. Xiao*, “Reversible planar gliding and microcracking in a single-crystalline Ni-rich cathode”, Science, 2020, 370, 1313-1317. https://science.sciencemag.org/content/370/6522/1313
- J. Xiao*, Q. Li, Y. Bi, M. Cai, B. Dunn, T. Glossmann, J. Liu, T. Osaka, R. Sugiura, B. Wu, J. Yang, J.-G. Zhang, M S. Whittingham, “Understanding and Applying Coulombic Efficiency in Lithium Metal Batteries”, Nature Energy, 2020, 561-568.
- J.Hu, B.Wu, X.Cao, Y.Bi, S.Chae, C.Niu, B.Xiao, J.Tao, J-G. Zhang, J. Xiao*, “Evolution of the rate-limiting step: From thin film to thick Ni-rich cathodes”, J. Power Sources, 2020, 454, 227966.
- L. Shi, S.-M. Bak, Z. Shadike, C. Wang, C. Niu, P. Northrup, H. Lee, A. Y. Baranovskiy, C. S. Anderson, J. Qin, S. Feng, X. Ren, D. Liu, X.-Q. Yang, F. Gao, D. Lu, J. Xiao,*, J. Liu, “Reaction Heterogeneity in Practical High-Energy Lithium-Sulfur Pouch Cells”, Energy & Environmental Science, 2020, DOI: 10.1039/D0EE02088E.
- B. Wu, Y. Yang, D. Liu, C.Niu, M. Gross, L. Seymoure, H. Lee, P.M. L.Le, T.D Vo, Z.D.Deng, E.J. Dufek, M.S. Whittingham, J.Liu, J. Xiao*, “Good Practices for Rechargeable Lithium Metal Batteries”, Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 2019, A414-A4149.
- J. Xiao*, “How Lithium Dendrites Form in Liquid Batteries”, Science, 2019, 366, 426.
- S. Chen, C. Niu, H. Lee, Q.Li, L.Yu, W.Xu, J. G.Zhang, E.J.Dufek, M.S.Whittingham, S.Meng, J. Xiao*, J.Liu, “Critical Parameters for Evaluating Coin Cells and Pouch Cells of Rechargeable Li Metal Batteries”, Joule, 2019, 3,1-12.
- C. Niu, H. Lee, S. Chen, Q. Li, W.Xu, J.Zhang, M.S. Whittingham, J. Xiao*, J. Liu, “Fundamental Challenges in Developing High-Energy Lithium Metal Pouch Cell with Stable Cycle Life”, Nature Energy, 2019, 4, 551-559.
- B. Wu, S. Wang, J. Lochala, D. Destrochers, D. Liu, B. Zhang, W. Yang, J. Xiao*, “The role of the solid electrolyte interphase in preventing Li dendrite growth in solid-state batteries”, Energy & Environmental Science, 2018, 11, 1803.
- Y. Wang, Q.Li, S. Cartmell, H.Li, S. Mendoza, J.-G. Zhang, Z. D. Deng, J. Xiao*, “Fundamental understanding and rational design of high energy structural microbatteries”, Nano Energy, 2018, 43, 310.
- S. Chen, J.Zheng, L.Yu, X.Ren, M.H.Engelhard, C.Niu, H.Lee, W.Xu, J. Xiao, J.Liu, J.Zhang, “High-Efficiency Lithium Metal Batteries with Fire-Retardant Electrolytes”, Joule, 2018, 2, 1548-1558.
- B. Wu, J.A. Lochala, T. Taverne, J. Xiao*, “The Interplay between Solid Electrolyte Interface (SEI) and Dendritic Lithium Growth”, Nano Energy, 2017, 40, 34-41.
- J. Lochala, D. Liu, B.Wu, C. Robinson and J. Xiao*, “Research Progress Towards the Practical Applications of Lithium Sulfur (Li-S) Batteries” (invited), ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2017, 9, 24407-24421.
- J. Zheng, J. Lochala, A. Kwok, Z. Z. Deng and J. Xiao*, “Research Progress towards Understanding the Unique Interfaces between Concentrated Electrolytes and Electrodes for Energy Storage Applications” (invited), Advanced Science, 2017, 1700032.
- J. Lochala, H.Zhang, Y.Wang, O.Okolo, X.Li, J.Xiao*, “Practical challenges in employing graphene for lithium-ion batteries and beyond”, (invited), Small Methods, 2017, 1, 1700099.
- D. Lu, J. Tao, P. Yan, W.A. Henderson, Q.Li, Y.Shao, M. L. Helm, O. Borodin, G. L. Graff, B. Polzin, C.-M. Wang, M. Engelhard, J.-G. Zhang, J. J. De Yoreo, J. Liu, and J. Xiao*, “Formation of Reversible Solid Electrolyte Interface on Graphite Surface from Concentrated Electrolytes”, Nano Letters, 2017, DOI: 10.1021/acs.nanolett.6b04766.
- Y. Wang, S. Cartmell. Q.Li, J.Xiao, H. Li, Z.D. Deng, J. Zhang, “A reliable sealing method for microbatteries”, J. Power Sources, 2017, 341, 443-447.
- J. Zheng, P. Yan, J. Zhang, M.H. Engelhard, Z. Zhu, B.J. Polzin, S. Trask, J. Xiao, C. Wang, J. Zhang, “Suppressed oxygen extraction and degradation of LiNixMnyCozO2 cathodes at high charge cut-off voltages”, Nano Research, 2017, 19, 4221-4231.
- B. Wu, S. Wang, W. J. Evans IV, D. Z. Deng, J. Yang and J. Xiao*, “Interfacial Behaviours Between Lithium Ion Conductors and Electrode Materials in Various Battery Systems”, (invited), Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2016,4,15266-15280. DOI: 10.1039/C6TA05439K.
- P. Bhattacharya, M.I. Nandasiri, D.Lv, A.M. Schwarz, J.T. Darsell, W.A. Henderson, D.A.Tomalia, J.Liu, J.Zhang, J.Xiao*, “Polyamidoamine dendrimer-based binders for high-loading lithium sulfur battery cathodes”, Nano Energy, 2016, 19, 176-186.
- D. Lv, J. Zheng, Q. Li, X. Xie, S. Ferrara, Z.Nie, L. B. Mehdi, N. D. Browning,J.-G. Zhang, G.L. Graff, J. Liu and J. Xiao*, “High Energy Density Lithium-Sulfur Batteries: Challenges of Thick Sulfur Cathode” Advanced Energy Materials, 2015, 5, 1402290.
- Y. Wang, B. Liu, Q. Li, S. Cartmell, S. Ferrara, Z. D. Deng, J. Xiao*, “Lithium and lithium ion batteries for applications in microelectronic devices: A review”, J. Power Sources, 2015, 286, 330-345.
- Q. Wang, J. Zheng, E.Walter, H.Pan, D.Lv, P.Zuo, H.Chen, Z.D.Deng, B.Y. Liaw, X.Yu, X.-Q. Yang,J.-G.Zhang, J.Liu and J. Xiao* “Direct Observation of Sulfur Radicals as Reaction Media in Lithium Sulfur Batteries”, Journal of Electrochemical Society, 2015, 162, A474-A478.
- J. Xiao*, “Understanding the lithium sulfur battery system at relevant scales”, Advanced Energy Materials, 2015, 5,1501102.
- J. Xiao*, J. Hu, H. Chen, M.Vijayakumar, J. Zheng, H. Pan,E.D.Walter,M.Hu, X. Deng, J. Feng, B.Y. Liaw, M. Gu, Z.D. Deng, D.Lu, S. Xu, C. Wang, J. Liu, “Following the transient reactions in lithium-sulfur batteries using an in situ nuclear magnetic resonance technique”, Nano Letters, 2015, 15, 3309-3316.