Dr. Bonneville joined the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory in 2009. He is the principal investigator of a diverse range of projects involving basic and applied research in geological storage of CO2, geophysical monitoring techniques and geothermal energy. Between 2009 and 2013, he led the PNNL Carbon Sequestration Initiative. Prior to this role, he was a full professor of Geophysics and vice director of the Institut de Physique du Globe de Paris (IPGP). He has made contributions to various domains of Earth sciences, from the study of intra-plate volcanism to marine heat flow and geodesy. During the 1990s, as a professor at the University of French Polynesia, he became a recognized specialist of the geodynamics of the South Pacific and founded the Geodetic Observatory of Tahiti with support from NASA and CNES (France's space agency). In 2003, Dr. Bonneville created a research program on geological sequestration of CO2 funded by a major oil company (TOTAL) and an oil service company (Schlumberger) that established IPGP as a major contributor of fundamental research on this subject in France and Europe. He led at the same time the European Marie Curie Research Training Network on Greenhouse Gas Removal Apprenticeship and Student Program (GRASP: 14 academic and industrial institutions in 7 countries, 35 PhD students and post-docs).
Dr. Bonneville has authored 87 peer-reviewed papers and 189 communications in international conferences. He is member of the Washington State Academy of Sciences and Courtesy Professor at Oregon State University.
- Geothermal Energy: super-hot EGS, site characterization and monitoring, stimulation fluids.
- Geological storage of CO2: project management, site characterization, numerical modeling and data management, potential field and remote sensing monitoring methods.
- Geophysical methods: heat flow, gravity, muon tomography (development of a new instrumentation for borehole deployment), remote sensing.
- Thermal monitoring and modeling: Remote sensing monitoring of active volcanoes..
- Marine heat flow: Development of marine instrumentation and data processing in real time. Study of thermal rejuvenation of oceanic lithosphere, thermal regime of a young oceanic lithosphere (mid oceanic ridge and passive margin), and thermal regime of petroleum systems.
- Intraplate volcanism: Determination of origin of hot spot volcanism in Indian and Pacific oceans. Study of the lithospheric thermomechanical properties and their impact on volcanism. Mapping of seafloor topography and study of the structure of swells, islands, and seamounts by gravity methods. Characterization of submarine landslides. Inventory of natural resources of French Polynesia EEZ.
- PhD in Geophysics from the University of Montpellier, France
- MS in Petroleum Geophysics from IFP-School, Paris, France
- BS in Geology from the University of Lyon, France
Affiliations and Professional Service
- Washington State Academy of Sciences
- Executive Committee of the U.S. National Risk Assessment Partnership
- Scientific Committee of IFP-Energies Nouvelles, France
- U.S. Patent No. 9,873,828, January 23, 2018, "Electrophilic acid gas-reactive fluid, proppant, and process for enhanced fracturing and recovery of energy producing materials".
- U.S. Patent No. 9,447,315, September 20, 2016, "ELECTROPHILIC ACID GAS-REACTIVE FLUID, PROPPANT, AND PROCESS FOR ENHANCED FRACTURING AND RECOVERY OF ENERGY PRODUCING MATERIALS".
- Bonneville AH, RT Kouzes, JAK Yamaoka, C Rowe, E Guardincerri, M Durham, C Morris, DC Poulson, K Plaud-Ramos, DJ Morley, JD Bacon, J Bynes, J Cercillieux, C Ketter, K Le, I Mostafanezhad, G Varner, J Flygare, and AT Lintereur. 2017. "A Novel Muon Detector for Borehole Density Tomography." Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research. Section A, Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment 851:108-117. doi:10.1016/j.nima.2017.01.023
- Bonneville AH, T Cladouhos, KK Rose, A Schultz, CE Strickland, and S Urquhart. 2017. "Improved image of intrusive bodies at Newberry Volcano, Oregon, based on 3D gravity modelling." In Proceedings, 42nd Workshop on Geothermal Reservoir Engineering, February 11-15, 2017, Stanford, California, pp. Paper No. SGP-TR-212. Stanford University, STANFORD, CA.
- Childers MI, MC Endres, CA Burns, BJ Garcia, J Liu, TW Wietsma, AH Bonneville, J Moore, II Leavy, L Zhong, HT Schaef, L Fu, H Wang, and CA Fernandez. 2017. "Novel Highly Dispersible, Thermally Stable Core/Shell Proppants for Geothermal Applications." Geothermics 70:98-109. doi:10.1016/j.geothermics.2017.05.013
- Guardincerri E, C Rowe, E Schultz-Fellenz, M Roy, NK George, C Morris, JD Bacon, M Durham, DJ Morley, K Plaud-Ramos, DC Poulson, D Baker, AH Bonneville, and RT Kouzes. 2017. "3D Cosmic Ray Muon Tomography from an Underground Tunnel." Pure and Applied Geophysics 174(5):2133-2141. doi:10.1007/s00024-017-1526-x
- Bonneville AH, and RT Kouzes. 2016. "Muon Tomography of Deep Reservoirs." FastTIMES 21(4):29-34.
- Fernandez CA, H Shao, A Bonneville, T Varga, and L Zhong. 2016. "On the Versatility of Rheoreversible, Stimuli-responsive Hydraulic-Fracturing Fluids for Enhanced Geothermal Systems: Effect of Reservoir pH." In Proceedings of the 41st Workshop on Geothermal Reservoir Engineering, February 22-24, 2016, Stanford, California, pp. Paper No SGP-TR-209. Curran Associates Inc., RED HOOK, NY.
- Gilmore TJ, AH Bonneville, EC Sullivan, ME Kelley, D Appriou, VR Vermeul, SK White, Z Zhang, BN Bjornstad, F Cornet, JL Gerst, N Gupta, G Hund, JA Horner, GV Last, DC Lanigan, M Oostrom, C McNeil, MA Moody, ML Rockhold, ML Elliott, FA Spane, CE Strickland, LL Swartz, PD Thorne, CF Brown, J Hoffmann, and KK Humphreys, JR. 2016. "Characterization and Design of the FutureGen 2.0 Carbon Storage Site." International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 53:1-10. doi:10.1016/j.ijggc.2016.07.022
- Mellors R, G Chapline, AH Bonneville, RT Kouzes, N Bonal, C Rowe, and E Guardincerri. 2016. "Muons and seismic: a dynamic duo for the shallow subsurface?" FastTIMES 21(4):24-28.
- Nguyen BN, Z Hou, ML Stewart, CJ Murray, and A Bonneville. 2016. "Thermal Impact of CO2 Injection on Geomechanical Response at the FutureGEN 2.0 Site: A Three-dimensional Thermo-geomechanical Approach." International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 54(Part 1):29-49. doi:10.1016/j.ijggc.2016.08.026
- Vermeul VR, JE Amonette, CE Strickland, MD Williams, and A Bonneville. 2016. "An Overview of the Monitoring Program Design for the FutureGen 2.0 CO2 Storage Site." International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 51:193-206. doi:10.1016/j.ijggc.2016.05.023
- Bonneville A, E Heggy, CE Strickland, J Normand, JA Dermond, Y Fang, and EC Sullivan. 2015. "Geophysical Monitoring of Ground Surface Deformation Associated with a Confined Aquifer Storage and Recovery Operation." Water Resources Management 29(13):4667-4682. doi:10.1007/s11269-015-1083-y
- Jung HB, KC Carroll, S Kabilan, DJ Heldebrant, DW Hoyt, L Zhong, T Varga, SA Stephens, L Adams, A Bonneville, AP Kuprat, and CA Fernandez. 2015. "Stimuli-Responsive/Rheoreversible Hydraulic Fracturing Fluids as a Greener Alternative to Support Geothermal and Fossil Energy Production." Green Chemistry 17(5):2799-2812. doi:10.1039/c4gc01917b
- Shao H, S Kabilan, SA Stephens, N Suresh, ANR Beck, T Varga, PF Martin, AP Kuprat, HB Jung, W Um, A Bonneville, DJ Heldebrant, KC Carroll, J Moore, and CA Fernandez. 2015. "Environmentally Friendly, Rheoreversible, Hydraulic-fracturing Fluids for Enhanced Geothermal Systems." Geothermics 58:22-31. doi:10.1016/j.geothermics.2015.07.010
- Bonneville A, BN Nguyen, ML Stewart, Z Hou, CJ Murray, and TJ Gilmore. 2014. "Geomechanical Evaluation of Thermal Impact of Injected CO2 Temperature on a Geological Reservoir: Application to the FutureGen 2.0 Site." Energy Procedia 63:3298-3304. doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2014.11.358
- Zhang ZF, SK White, A Bonneville, and TJ Gilmore. 2014. "Local Sensitivity of Predicted CO2 Injectivity and Plume Extent to Model Inputs for the FutureGen 2.0 site." Energy Procedia 63:3805-3814. doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2014.11.409
- Bonneville A, HB Jung, H Shao, S Kabilan, W Um, KC Carroll, T Varga, N Suresh, SA Stephens, and CA Fernandez. 2014. "Stimuli Responsive/Rheoreversible Hydraulic Fracturing Fluids for Enhanced Geothermal Energy Production (Part II)." In American Geophysical Union, Fall Meeting, December 15-19, 2014, San Francisco, California, pp. Abstract #H43A-0934. American Geophysical Union, Washington, DC.
- Gilmore TJ, A Bonneville, VR Vermeul, FA Spane, ME Kelley, EC Sullivan, and J Hoffman. 2014. "Overview of the CO2 Geological Storage Site for the FutureGen Project in Morgan County Illinois, USA." Energy Procedia 63:6361-6367. doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2014.11.671
- Jung HB, S Kabilan, JP Carson, AP Kuprat, W Um, PF Martin, ME Dahl, TA Kafentzis, T Varga, SA Stephens, BW Arey, KC Carroll, A Bonneville, and CA Fernandez. 2014. "Wellbore cement fracture evolution at the cement-basalt caprock interface during geologic carbon sequestration." Applied Geochemistry 47:1-16. doi:10.1016/j.apgeochem.2014.04.010
- Strickland CE, VR Vermeul, A Bonneville, EC Sullivan, TC Johnson, FA Spane, and TJ Gilmore. 2014. "Geophysical Monitoring Methods Evaluation for the FutureGen 2.0 project." Energy Procedia 63:4394-4403. doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2014.11.474
- Sullivan EC, BA Hardage, CE Strickland, A Bonneville, and TJ Gilmore. 2014. "Application of three component VSP technology at seismically difficult sites: An example from the FutureGen 2.0 site, Morgan County, Illinois, USA." Energy Procedia 63:5051-5062. doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2014.11.535
- Vermeul VR, CE Strickland, PD Thorne, BN Bjornstad, RD Mackley, ME Kelley, EC Sullivan, MD Williams, JE Amonette, JL Downs, BG Fritz, JE Szecsody, A Bonneville, and TJ Gilmore. 2014. "FutureGen 2.0 Monitoring Program: An Overview of the Monitoring Approach and Technologies Selected for Implementation." Energy Procedia 63:4062-4070. doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2014.11.438
- Fang Y, BN Nguyen, KC Carroll, Z Xu, SB Yabusaki, TD Scheibe, and A Bonneville. 2013. "Development of a coupled thermo-hydro-mechanical model in discontinuous media for carbon sequestration." International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences 62:138-147. doi:10.1016/j.ijrmms.2013.05.002
- Bonneville A, TJ Gilmore, EC Sullivan, VR Vermeul, ME Kelley, SK White, D Appriou, BN Bjornstad, JL Gerst, N Gupta, JA Horner, C McNeil, MA Moody, WM Rike, FA Spane, PD Thorne, ER Zeller, ZF Zhang, J Hoffman, and KK Humphreys. 2013. "Evaluating the Suitability for CO2 Storage at the FutureGen 2.0 Site, Morgan County, Illinois, USA." Energy Procedia 37:6125-6132. doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2013.06.541
- Mukhopadhyay S, Z Hou, LJ Gosink, DH Bacon, CA Doughty, JJ Li, L Wei, S Gasda, G Bacci, R Govindan, JQ Shi, H Yamamoto, R Ramanathan, JP Nicot, S Hosseini, J Birkholzer, and A Bonneville. 2013. "Model Comparison and Uncertainty Quantification for Geologic Carbon Storage: The Sim-SEQ Initiative." Energy Procedia 37:3867-3874. doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2013.06.284
- Wang Y, C Zhang, N Wei, M Oostrom, TW Wietsma, X Li, and A Bonneville. 2013. "Experimental study of crossover from capillary to viscous fingering for supercritical CO2 - water displacement in a homogeneous pore network." Environmental Science & Technology 47(1):212-218. doi:10.1021/es3014503
- White SK, LJ Gosink, C Sivaramakrishnan, GD Black, S Purohit, DH Bacon, Z Hou, G Lin, I Gorton, and A Bonneville. 2013. "Implementations of a Flexible Framework for Managing Geologic Sequestration Modeling Projects." Energy Procedia 37:3971-3979. doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2013.06.296
- Xu Z, Y Fang, TD Scheibe, and A Bonneville. 2012. "A fluid pressure and deformation analysis for geological sequestration of carbon dioxide." Computers & Geosciences 46:31-37.
- Xu Z, Y Fang, TD Scheibe, and A Bonneville. 2012. "A Hydro-mechanical Model and Analytical Solutions for Geomechanical Modeling of Carbon Dioxide Geological Sequestration." Chapter 7 in Energy Technology 2012: Carbon Dioxide Management and Other Technologies, ed. MD Salazar-Villalpando, et al. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ.
- Bonneville A, GD Black, I Gorton, PSY Hui, EM Murphy, CJ Murray, ML Rockhold, KL Schuchardt, C Sivaramakrishnan, MD White, MD Williams, and SK Wurstner. 2011. "Geologic Sequestration Software Suite (GS3): a collaborative approach to the management of geological GHG storage projects ." In Proceedings of the 10th Greenhouse Gas Control Technologies Conference (GHGT10), September 19-23, 2010, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Energy Procedia, vol. 4, ed. J Gale, C Hendriks W Turkenberg, pp. 3825-3832. Elsevier, Amsterdam, Netherlands. doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2011.02.318
- Bonneville A. 2011. "La capture et l'enfouissement doivent entrer dans une phase industrielle." La Recherche Juillet-Aout(454):100-101.
- Scheibe TD, AM Tartakovsky, UC Bandara, BJ Palmer, M Oostrom, C Zhang, and A Bonneville. 2011. "Physical and Numerical Models of Pore-Scale Trapping of CO2." In Les Rencontres Scientifiques d'IFP Energies Nouvelles: International Conference on Flows and Mechanics in Natural Porous Media from Pore to Field Scale - Pore2Field, November 16-18, 2011, Rueil-Malmaison, France. IFP Energies Nouvelles, Paris, France.
Bonneville, A., L. Dosso and A. Hildenbrand, Temporal Evolution and Geochemical Variability of the South-Pacific Superplume Activity, Earth Plan. Sc. Letts, 244, 251-269, doi:10.1016/j.epsl.2005.12.037, 2006.
Goutorbe, B., Lucazeau, F. and Bonneville, A., Using neural networks to predict thermal conductivity from geophysical well logs, Geophysical Journal International, 166 (1), 115, doi:10.1111/j.1365-246X.2006.02924.x, 2006.
Adam, C. and A. Bonneville, The extent of the South Pacific Superswell, J. Geophys. Res, 110, B09408, doi:10.1029/2004JB003465, 2005.
Bonneville, A., R. Le Suavé, L. Audin, V. Clouard, L. Dosso, P.Y. Gillot, A. Hildenbrand, P. Janney, K. Jordahl and Keitapu Maamaatuaiahutapu, Arago Seamount : the Missing Hot Spot found in the Austral Islands, Geology, 30, 11, 1023-1026, 2002.
Clouard V. and A. Bonneville, How many Pacific Hotspots are fed by deep mantle plumes? Geology, 29, 8, 695-698, 2001.
Bonneville A., R.P. Von Herzen and F. Lucazeau, Heat flow over Reunion hot spot track: aditional evidence for thermal rejuvenation of oceanic lithosphere, J. Geophys. Res., 102, 22731-22747, 1997.
Bonneville A., J.P. Barriot and R. Bayer, Evidence from geoid data of a hot spot origin for the Southern Mascarene Plateau and Mascarene islands, J. Geophys. Res., 95,4199-4212, 1988.
Bonneville A., G. Vasseur and Y. Kerr, Satellite thermal infrared observations of mount Etna after the 17th March 1981 eruption, J. Volcanol. Geoth. Res., 24, 293-313, 1985.