The FEI Helios 660 Focus Ion Beam Scanning Electron Microscope (FIB-SEM) is a workhorse for both radiological and non-radiological material sample preparation and analysis in energy, environment, and national security research.
It’s ideal for micron to nano scale imaging, chemical analysis, and sample preparation for transmission electron microscope (TEM) lamella, atom probe tomography (APT) and secondary ion mass spectrometry (SIMS) analysis, including metals, powders, and thin films. High-resolution surface composition mapping enables researchers to understand minute details of a material and its degradation over time in certain environments.
- Gallium Ion source 30 keV
- Schottky Electron source
- EasyLift for extracting FIB-TEM, APT and SIMS samples
- Low keV retractable backscatter detector
- Retractable scanning/transmission electron microscopy detector
- EDAX energy-dispersive detector and electron backscatter diffraction detector
- Bruker Micro CT scanner
- Transfer arm for vacuum transfer
Spurgeon SR, M Sassi, ES Ilton, EC Buck. 2019. "First atomic-scale actinide spectroscopy sheds light on key material: . Nanoscale Oxygen Defect Gradients in UO 2+ x Surfaces." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA, Vol. 116, Issue 35, 17181-17186.