Shari Matzner develops algorithms for signal detection, tracking and classification in a variety of domains using statistical signal processing, physics-based modeling and advanced analytics. She develops technology that supports sustainable ocean energy and national security objectives. Since joining PNNL in 2009, she has developed a thermal stereo vision system for tracking birds and bats, a real-time sonar processing system for tracking fish, underwater video processing software and algorithms for maritime domain situational awareness. Prior to joining PNNL, Dr. Matzner worked as a professional software engineer in the private sector (Intel, Motorola,IBM) and as a NASA contractor. She spent 10 years working in the space program, where she developed physics-based simulators for training flight controllers and software to support experiments aboard the space shuttle. She currently holds a joint appointment with the University of Alaska -- Fairbanks in the Alaska Center for Electricity and Power and serves on the editorial board of the journal Ecological Informatics.
Disciplines and Skills
- Algorithm Design
- Algorithm Development
- C Programming
- Image Processing
- Offshore Wind Energy
- Real Time System Design
- Signal Processing
- Synthetic Aperture Radar
- Underwater Video
- Video Analytics
Doctor of Philosophy, Systems Science, Portland State University
Master of Science, Systems Science, Portland State University
University of Wisconsin - Green Bay, Bachelor of Science, Mathematics
- U.S. Patent No. 10,861,172, December 8, 2020, "SENSORS AND METHODS FOR MONITORING FLYING OBJECTS".
- Matzner S., T.E. Warfel, and R.E. Hull. 2020. "ThermalTracker-3D: A thermal stereo vision system for quantifying bird and bat activity at offshore wind energy sites." Ecological Informatics 57. PNNL-SA-150108. doi:10.1016/j.ecoinf.2020.101069
- Xu W., and S. Matzner. 2018. "Underwater Fish Detection using Deep Learning for Water Power Applications." In International Conference on Computational Science and Computational Intelligence (CSCI 2018), December 13-15, 2018, Las Vegas, NV, 313-318. Piscataway, New Jersey:IEEE. PNNL-SA-138761. doi:10.1109/CSCI46756.2018.00067
- Matzner S., R.E. Hull, G. Harker-Klimes, and V.I. Cullinan. 2017. "Studying fish near ocean energy devices using underwater video." In OCEANS 2017 MTS/IEEE, September 18-28, 2017, Ancorage, Alaska, 1-7. Piscataway, New Jersey:IEEE. PNNL-SA-127299.
- Matzner S., A.R. Maxwell, K.D. Ham, R.D. Hytnen, and J. Horne. 2016. "Observing Ocean Ecosystems with Sonar." In MTS/IEEE Oceans 2016, September 19-23, 2016, Monterey, California. Piscataway, New Jersey:IEEE. PNNL-SA-120086. doi:10.1109/OCEANS.2016.7761014
- Cullinan V.I., S. Matzner, and C.A. Duberstein. 2015. "Classification of Birds and Bats Using Flight Tracks." Journal of Field Ornithology 27. PNNL-SA-105515. doi:10.1016/j.ecoinf.2015.03.004
- Matzner S., A. Heredia-Langner, B.G. Amidan, E.J. Boettcher, D. Lochtefeld, and T. Webb. 2015. "Standoff Human Identification Using Body Shape." In IEEE International Symposium on Technologies for Homeland Security (HST 2015), April 14-16, 2015, Waltham, Massachusetts, 1-6. Piscataway, New Jersey:IEEE. PNNL-SA-106595. doi:10.1109/THS.2015.7225300
- Matzner S., V.I. Cullinan, and C.A. Duberstein. 2015. "Two-dimensional thermal video analysis of offshore bird and bat flight." Ecological Informatics 30. PNNL-SA-109185. doi:10.1016/j.ecoinf.2015.09.001
- Heredia-Langner A., B.G. Amidan, S. Matzner, and K.H. Jarman. 2014. "Optimization of an individual re-identification modeling process using biometric features." In Proceedings of the International Conference on Data Mining (DMIN 2014), July 21-24, 2014, Las Vegas, Nevada, edited by R Stahlbock, GM Weiss, M Abou-Nasr and H Arabnia. Athens, Georgia:CSREA Press. PNNL-SA-102023.
- Deng Z., T.J. Carlson, T. Fu, H. Ren, J.J. Martinez, J.R. Myers, and S. Matzner, et al. 2013. "Design and implementation of a marine animal alert system to support Marine Renewable Energy." Marine Technology Society Journal 47, no. 4:113-121. PNNL-SA-94627. doi:10.4031/MTSJ.47.4.2
- Carlson T.J., M.B. Halvorsen, S. Matzner, A.E. Copping, and J. Stavole. 2012. Monitoring and Mitigation Alternatives for Protection of North Atlantic Right Whales during Offshore Wind Farm Installation. PNNL-21959. Richland, WA: Pacific Northwest National Laboratory. Monitoring and Mitigation Alternatives for Protection of North Atlantic Right Whales during Offshore Wind Farm Installation
- Duberstein C.A., S. Matzner, V.I. Cullinan, D.J. Virden, J.R. Myers, and A.R. Maxwell. 2012. Automated Thermal Image Processing for Detection and Classification of Birds and Bats - FY2012 Annual Report. PNNL-21911. Richland, WA: Pacific Northwest National Laboratory. Automated Thermal Image Processing for Detection and Classification of Birds and Bats - FY2012 Annual Report
- Ren H., Z. Deng, T.J. Carlson, Y. Sun, T. Fu, J.J. Martinez, and S. Matzner, et al. 2012. "Localization of Southern Resident Killer Whales Using Two Star Arrays to Support Marine Renewable Energy." In OCEANS 2012 MTS/IEEE, October 14-19, 2012, Hampton Roads, Virginia. Piscataway, New Jersey:The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. PNNL-SA-90424. doi:10.1109/OCEANS.2012.6405010
- Carlson T.J., Z. Deng, J.R. Myers, S. Matzner, and A.E. Copping. 2011. Marine Animal Alert System -- Task 184.108.40.206: Development of Monitoring Technologies -- FY 2011 Progress Report. PNNL-20812. Richland, WA: Pacific Northwest National Laboratory. Marine Animal Alert System -- Task 220.127.116.11: Development of Monitoring Technologies -- FY 2011 Progress Report
- Matzner S., and M.E. Jones. 2011. "Measuring Coastal Boating Noise to Assess Potential Impacts on Marine Life." Sea Technology July, no. 2011. PNNL-SA-79692.
- Matzner S., T. Fu, H. Ren, Z. Deng, Y. Sun, and T.J. Carlson. 2011. "Operational Performance Analysis of Passive Acoustic Monitoring for Killer Whales." In OCEANS 2011, September 19-22, 2011, Kona, Hawaii. Piscataway, New Jersey:IEEE. PNNL-SA-81899.
- Matzner S., A.R. Maxwell, J.R. Myers, K.A. Caviggia, J.L. Elster, M.G. Foley, and M.E. Jones, et al. 2010. "Small Vessel Contribution to Underwater Noise." In Oceans 2010 MTS/IEEE Seattle. Piscataway, Nj:Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE). PNNL-SA-74289. doi:10.1109/OCEANS.2010.5663818
- Matzner S., J.R. Myers, A.R. Maxwell, and M.E. Jones. 2010. NW-MILO Acoustic Data Collection. PNNL-19169. Richland, WA: Pacific Northwest National Laboratory. NW-MILO Acoustic Data Collection