Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Kevin Lai is a member of the Scientific Data Management (SDM) group in FCSD division at PNNL.
He is currently leading or involved in several research projects.
*SECA Modeling. Kevin is the task lead for Solid Oxide Fuel Cell - Multi-Physics Modeling. *LDRD Project "Quantify the 'State of Health' of Nuclear Structure/Materials with an Inverse Resonance Inspection Algorithm. Kevin is the PI for the project. *NTNFC. Kevin is the task lead for NUCRAD SharePoint site development.
Before Kevin came to the lab, he briefly worked for American Bureau of Shipping as a consultant engineer and a software consultant for AT&T. Kevin worked as a software developer at Lucent Technologies at Columbus Ohio for over 9 years where he developed many commercial software packages for Lucent wireless business unit. He is experienced in full spectrum of commercial software development including requirements, architecture, design, implementations, testing, packaging, etc.
At PNNL, Kevin also worked in software development for BKC and CAT projects, gaining experience in software development in SharePoint portal, Remedy, Microsoft .Net, and Eclipse etc.
- Acoustic Analysis
- Non-Distructive Engineering
- Multi-Physics Numerical Modeling, Solid Oxide Fuel Cell
- Microsoft .Net Software Development
- SharePoint Development
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D., Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, University of Michigan, 1994.
- Lai C, and X Sun. 2013. "Predicting Flaw-Induced Resonance Spectrum Shift with Theoretical Perturbation Analysis." Journal of Sound and Vibration 332(22):5953-5964. doi:10.1016/j.jsv.2013.05.024
- Pan W, J Bao, C Lo, C Lai, K Agarwal, BJ Koeppel, and MA Khaleel. 2013. "A general approach to develop reduced order models for simulation of solid oxide fuel cell stacks." Journal of Power Sources 232:139-151. doi:10.1016/j.jpowsour.2013.01.057
- Lai C, W Xu, and X Sun. 2012. "Development of an Inverse Algorithm for Resonance Inspection." Journal of Vibration and Acoustics 134(5):Article No.: 051017. doi:10.1115/1.4006649
- Lai C, BJ Koeppel, KS Choi, KP Recknagle, X Sun, LA Chick, VN Korolev, and MA Khaleel. 2011. "A Quasi-Two-Dimensional Electrochemistry Modeling Tool for Planar Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Stacks." Journal of Power Sources 196(6):3204-3222. doi:10.1016/j.jpowsour.2010.11.123
- Lai C, X Sun, C Dasch, G Harmon, and M Jones. 2011. "Quantify Resonance Inspection with Finite Element-Based Modal Analyses." Journal of Vibration and Acoustics 133(3):Article No. 031004. doi:10.1115/1.4002955
- Khaleel MA, X Sun, EV Stephens, KP Recknagle, EM Ryan, BJ Koeppel, and C Lai. 2011. "SOFC Modeling and Simulation Tools." Chapter III.G.2 in 2011 Office of Fossil Energy Fuel Cell Program Annual Report, vol. DOE/NETL-2012-1525, pp. 198-201. Department of Energy, Washington DC, DC.
- Koeppel BJ, C Lai, and MA Khaleel. 2011. SOFC-MP 2D User Manual. PNNL-20433, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Koeppel BJ, C Lai, and MA Khaleel. 2011. "EFFECT OF GEOMETRY AND OPERATING PARAMETERS ON SIMULATED SOFC STACK TEMPERATURE UNIFORMITY." In Proceedings of ASME 2011 5th International Conference on Energy Sustainability & 9th Fuel Cell Science, Engineering and Technology Conference, August 7-10, 2011, Washington DC, pp. Paper No. ESFuelCell2011-54803. ASME, New York, NY.
- Koeppel BJ, C Lai, and MA Khaleel. 2011. "SOFC Multi-Physics (SOFC-MP) Modeling and Simulation Tools." Chapter III.G.4 in 2011 Office of Fossil Energy Fuel Cell Program Annual Report, vol. DOE/NETL-2012-1525, pp. 207-210. Department of Energy, Washington DC.
- Yang C, HT Lim, SC Hwang, D Kim, C Lai, BJ Koeppel, KP Recknagle, and MA Khaleel. 2011. "Modeling of On-Cell Reforming Reaction for Planar SOFC Stacks." In Proceedings of the ASME 2011 9th International Conference on Fuel Cell Science, Engineering and Technology collocated with ASME 2011 5th International Conference on Energy Sustainability (FUELCELL2011) August 7-10, 2011, Washington, DC, pp. 355-363, FuelCell2011-54138. American Society of Mechanical Engineers, New York, NY. doi:10.1115/FuelCell2011-54138
- Khaleel MA, X Sun, WN Liu, EV Stephens, KP Recknagle, EM Ryan, BJ Koeppel, and C Lai. 2010. "SOFC Modeling and Simulation Tools." Chapter III.G.2 in 2010 Office of Fossil Energy Fuel Cell Program Annual Report, vol. DOE/NETL-2010/1439, pp. 215-219. Department of Energy, Washington DC.
- Sun X, C Lai, and C Dasch. 2010. "Quantify Resonance Inspection with Finite Element-Based Modal Analyses." In Proceedings of the ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition, November 12-18, 2010, Vancouver, British Columbia, pp. Paper No. IMECE2010-39497. ASME, New York, NY.
- Lai C, X Sun, and DW Templeton. 2009. "ANALYSES OF VARIOUS DAMAGE MECHANISMS IN TRANSPARENT ARMOR SUBJECT TO PROJECTILE IMPACT." In Advances in Ceramic Armor V: Proceedings of the 33rd International Conference on Advanced Ceramics and Composites , pp. 205-212. Wiley, New York.
- Sun X, C Lai, T Gorsich, and DW Templeton. 2009. "OPTIMIZING TRANSPARENT ARMOR DESIGN SUBJECT TO PROJECTILE IMPACT CONDITIONS." In Ceramic Engineering and Science Proceedings: Advances in Ceramic Armor IV - A Collection of Papers Presented at the 32nd International Conference on Advanced Ceramics and Composites , vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 15-22. American Ceramic Society, Westerville, OH.
- Peterson ES, EG Stephan, AL Corrigan, RD Lins, TA Soares, RE Scarberry, SJ Rose, LK Williams, C Lai, TJ Critchlow, and TP Straatsma. 2008. "Northwest Trajectory Analysis Capability: A Platform for Enhancing Computational Biophysics Analysis." In Proceedings of the 2008 International Conference on Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, BIOCOMP 2008, pp. 558-562. CSREA Press, Bogart, GA.