Integrated Human-Earth SS Team
Gokul Iyer's research broadly focuses on the intersection of energy, climate change, technology and policy. Dr. Iyer's current research focuses on regional modeling of the U.S. energy system within the context of global integrated assessment modeling. His current research also investigates the inter-linkages between climate change mitigation and other sustainable development goals. Dr. Iyer's previous research has used integrated assessment models to explore investment risks in the energy sector, technology diffusion and long-term benefits of investments in technology.
- Integrated Assessment Modeling
- Energy systems modeling
- Energy policy
- Technology and Technological change
- International climate policy
- Sustainable Development
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D., Environmental Policy, University of Maryland, USA.
- Master of Technology, Energy Systems Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay, India.
- Bachelor of Technology, Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology, Nagpur, India.
- Fawcett A, GC Iyer, LE Clarke, JA Edmonds, N Hultman, HC McJeon, J Rogelj, R Schuler, J Alsalam, GR Asrar, J Creason, M Jeong, J McFarland, A Mundra, and W Shi. 2015. "Can Paris pledges avert severe climate change?" Science 350(6265):1168-1169 . doi:10.1126/science.aad5761
- Iyer GC, JA Edmonds, AA Fawcett, N Hultman, J Alsalam, GR Asrar, KV Calvin, LE Clarke, J Creason, M Jeong, J McFarland, A Mundra, PL Patel, W Shi, and HC McJeon. 2015. "The contribution of Paris to limit global warming to 2 °C." Environmental Research Letters 10(12):Article No. 125002. doi:10.1088/1748-9326/10/12/125002
- Iyer GC, LE Clarke, JA Edmonds, BP Flannery, N Hultman, HC McJeon, and D Victor. 2015. "Improved Representation of Investment Decisions in Assessments of CO2 Mitigation." Nature Climate Change 5(5):436-440. doi:10.1038/nclimate2553
- Iyer GC, LE Clarke, JA Edmonds, N Hultman, and HC McJeon. 2015. "Long-term payoffs of near-term low-carbon deployment policies." Energy Policy 86:493-505. doi:10.1016/j.enpol.2015.08.004
- Iyer GC, N Hultman, J Eom, HC McJeon, PL Patel, and LE Clarke. 2015. "Diffusion of low-carbon technologies and the feasibility of long-term climate targets." Technological Forecasting and Social Change 90(Part A):103-118. doi:10.1016/j.techfore.2013.08.025
- Iyer GC, N Hultman, S Fetter, and SH Kim. 2014. "Implications of Small Modular Reactors for Climate Change Mitigation." Energy Economics 45:144-154. doi:10.1016/j.eneco.2014.06.023