Research at PNNL
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory advances the frontiers of science and delivers solutions to our nation's biggest challenges in energy, environment, and national security. Core capabilities are the skills and capabilities that differentiate PNNL and afford us a competitive advantage.
PNNL currently has ten core capabilities:
- Chemical and Molecular Sciences
- Biological Systems Science
- Climate Change Science
- Subsurface Science
- Chemical Engineering
- Applied Materials Science and Engineering
- Applied Nuclear Science and Technology
- Advanced Computer Science, Visualization, and Data
- Systems Engineering and Integration
- Large-Scale User Facilities and Advanced Instrumentation
These core capabilities provide the foundation for research and development found in our research organizations:
and in the Environmental Molecular Sciences Laboratory, a Department of Energy national scientific user facility located at PNNL.