Atmospheric Radiation Measurement Program
I joined the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) in 1984. My areas of specialization and interest include millimeter wave radar, meteorological instrumentation, remote sensing, microprocessor technology, digital electronics, analog electronics, and automatic control theory. I also have extensive project management experience with projects up to $5M. I am currently the leader for the Atmospheric Radiation Measurement (ARM) Program's Radar Group.
I served in the U.S. Marine Corps for four years followed by six years in the U.S. Naval Reserve as an Engineering Duty Officer.
- Millimeter wave cloud radars
- Atmospheric science instrumentation
- Remote site field deployments
Education and Credentials
- BSEE, Washington State University, 1984
Affiliations and Professional Service
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers, Senior Member
- American Meteorological Society, Member
- American Geophysical Society, Member
- Engineers Without Borders, Member
Awards and Recognitions
- 1991 Tri City Engineer of the Year
- Protat A, D Bouniol, EJ O'Connor, HK Baltink, J Verlinde, and KB Widener. 2011. "CloudSat as a Global Radar Calibrator." Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 28(3):445-452. doi:10.1175/2010JTECHA1443.1
- Kollias P, EE Clothiaux, MA Miller, E Luke, KL Johnson, KP Moran, KB Widener, and BA Albrecht. 2007. "The Atmospheric Radiation Measurement Program Cloud Profiling Radars: Second-Generation Sampling Strategies, Processing, and Cloud Data Products." Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 24(7):1199-1214. doi:10.1175/JTECH2033.1
- Ivey M, LJ Jones, WM Porch, ML Apple, and KB Widener. 2004. "Long-Term Operation Of Ground-Based Atmospheric Sensing Systems In The Tropical Western Pacific." In Proceedings of the SPIE: Atmospheric and Environmental Remote Sensing Data Processing and Utilization: an End-to-End System Perspective, vol. 5548, ed. Hung-Lung A. Huang, Hal J. Bloom, pp. 149-163. SPIE , Bellingham, WA. doi:10.1117/12.557198
- Widener KB, AS Koontz, KP Moran, KA Clark, C Chander, MA Miller, and KL Johnson. 2004. "MMCR Upgrades: Present Status and Future Plans." In Proceedings of the Fourteenth Atmospheric Radiation Measurement (ARM) Science Team Meeting, March 22-26, 2004, Albuquerque, New Mexico. U.S. Department of Energy, Washington DC.