Atmospheric Chemistry & Meteorology
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Jerome Fast has lead a team of PNNL scientists that have contributed a gas-phase chemistry mechanism, an sectional aerosol model, cloud chemistry, cloud-aerosol interactions, and radiative feedback processes into the chemistry version of Weather Research and Forecasting (WRF-chem) model. WRF is a state-of-the-science meteorological model that has been developed collaboratively by several government agencies and universities. His current research involves using WRF-chem as a tool to better understand the evolution of particulates and radiative forcing during recent DOE Atmospheric Sciences Program (ASP) field experiments. High-resolution simulations are being performed that resolve the local and regional variations of particulate characteristics to obtain a better understanding of important aerosol processes that need to be incorporated into larger-scale climate models. He was actively involved in the planning and execution of the forecasting/modeling component of the MILAGRO (Megacities Initiative: Local and Global Research Observations) field campaign that was held in central Mexico during March 2006. MILAGRO was designed to obtain measurements that quantify the effect of megacity anthropogenic emissions on local, regional, and large-scale climate.
Dr. Fast also has extensive experience in the use of mesoscale and Lagrangian particle dispersion models for boundary-layer, mesoscale, regional, complex terrain, and emergency response applications. He has simulated the atmospheric dynamics in complex terrain, the evolution of nocturnal and daytime boundary layers, and the interactions of boundary-layer processes and regional-scale circulations, and their effect on pollutant dispersion. He has employed four-dimensional data assimilation techniques to improve the diagnostic and predictive capabilities of mesoscale meteorological models. In addition to his modeling experience, Dr. Fast has also collected measurements during several field campaigns, including the 1997 IMADA-AVER field experiment in Mexico City, 2001 Phoenix Sunrise Experiment, and the 2000 VTMX field experiment in Salt Lake City. During the VTMX field experiment, he lead a perfluorocarbon tracer experiment designed to obtain information on how nocturnal canyon and valley flows interact and affect the transport and mixing of pollutants.
- Trace Gas and Aerosol Modeling
- Climate-Chemistry Interactions
- Local and Regional Atmospheric Modeling
- Boundary Layer and Mountain Meteorology
- Atmospheric Dispersion
- Data Assimilation
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D, Meteorology, Iowa State University
- M.S., Meteorology, Iowa State University
- B.S., Meteorology and Mathematics, Iowa State University
Affiliations and Professional Service
- American Meteorological Society, 1990-present
- Sigma Xi, 1990-present
- American Geophysical Union, 1996-present
Awards and Recognitions
- Lead forecaster during the MILAGRO field campaign during March 2006
- DOE Atmospheric Sciences Program modeling working group chair, June 2005 â€" present
- Coordinator of operational modeling activities in support of MIRAGE-Mex, April 2005 â€" present
- Committee member of Weather Research and Forecasting (WRF) Model Working Group 11: Atmospheric Chemistry, September 2003-present
- Mega City Impact on the Regional and Global Environment (MIRAGE) steering committee member, National Center for Atmospheric Research, April 2002-present
- Served on American Meteorological Society Committees including: Committee on Boundary Layers and Turbulence, 1993-1996, Committee on Mountain Meteorology, 1998-2001, Committee on Atmospheric Chemistry, 2001-2004
- Shilling JE, RA Zaveri, JD Fast, LI Kleinman, ML Alexander, MR Canagaratna, E Fortner, JM Hubbe, JT Jayne, A Sedlacek, A Setyan, S Springston, DR Worsnop, and Q Zhang. 2013. "Enhanced SOA formation from mixed anthropogenic and biogenic emissions during the CARES campaign." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 13(4):2091-2113. doi:10.5194/acp-13-2091-2013
- Brioude J, D Arnold, A Stohl, M Cassiani, D Morton, P Seibert, WM Angevine, S Evan, A Dingwell, JD Fast, RC Easter, Jr, I Pisso, J Bukhart, and G Wotawa. 2013. "The Lagrangian particle dispersion model FLEXPART-WRF VERSION 3.1." Geoscientific Model Development 6(6):1889-1904. doi:10.5194/gmd-6-1889-2013
- Gustafson WI, Jr, PL Ma, H Xiao, B Singh, PJ Rasch, and JD Fast. 2013. "The Separate Physics and Dynamics Experiment (SPADE) framework for determining resolution awareness: A case study of microphysics." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 118(16):9258-9276. doi:10.1002/jgrd.50711
- Ma PL, PJ Rasch, H Wang, K Zhang, RC Easter, Jr, S Tilmes, JD Fast, X Liu, JH Yoon, and JF Lamarque. 2013. "The Role of Circulation Features on Black Carbon Transport into the Arctic in the Community Atmosphere Model Version 5 (CAM5)." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 118(10):4657-4669. doi:10.1002/jgrd.50411
- Matsui H, M Koike, N Takegawa, Y Kondo, A Takami, T Takamura, S Yoon, SW Kim, H Lim, and JD Fast. 2013. "Spatial and temporal variations of new particle formation in East Asia using an NPF-explicit WRF-chem model: North-south contrast in new particle formation frequency ." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 118(20):11647-11663. doi:DOI:10.1002/jgrd.50821
- Matsui H, M Koike, Y Kondo, N Moteki, JD Fast, and RA Zaveri. 2013. "Development and validation of a black carbon mixing state resolved three-dimensional model: Aging processes and radiative impact." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 118(5):2304-2326. doi:10.1029/2012JD018446
- Shrivastava MKB, A Zelenyuk, D Imre, RC Easter, Jr, J Beranek, RA Zaveri, and JD Fast. 2013. "Implications of Low Volatility SOA and Gas-Phase Fragmentation Reactions on SOA Loadings and their Spatial and Temporal Evolution in the Atmosphere." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 118(8):3328-3342. doi:10.1002/jgrd.50160
- Shrivastava MKB, LK Berg, JD Fast, RC Easter, Jr, A Laskin, EG Chapman, WI Gustafson, Jr, Y Liu, and CM Berkowitz. 2013. "Modeling aerosols and their interactions with shallow cumuli during the 2007 CHAPS field study." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 118(3):1343-1360.
- Thomas JL, JC Raut, KS Law, L Marelle, G Ancellet, F Ravetta, JD Fast, G Pfister, L Emmons, GS Diskin, AJ Weinheimer, A Roiger, and H Schlager. 2013. "Pollution transport from North America to Greenland during summer 2008." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 13(7):3825-3848. doi:10.5194/acp-13-3825-2013
- Thomas JL, JC Raut, KS Law, L Marelle, G Ancellet, F Ravetta, JD Fast, G Pfister, L Emmons, GS Diskin, AJ Weinheimer, A Roiger, and H Schlager. 2013. "Pollution Transport From North America to Greenland During Summer 2008." Geophysical Research Letters 13(7):3825-3848. doi:10.5194/acp-13-3825-2013
- Yang Q, LK Berg, MS Pekour, JD Fast, RK Newsom, M Stoelinga, and C Finley. 2013. "Evaluation of WRF predicted near hub-height winds and ramp events over a Pacific Northwest site with complex terrain." Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology 52(8): 1753-1763. doi:10.1175/JAMC-D-12-0267.1
- Kassianov EI, D Chand, LK Berg, JD Fast, JM Tomlinson, R Ferrare, CA Hostetler, and J Hair. 2012. "Multi-year Satellite and Surface Observations of AOD in support of Two-Column Aerosol Project (TCAP) Field Campaign." In Remote Sensing of Clouds and the Atmosphere XVII; and Lidar Technologies, Techniques, and Measurements for Atmospheric Remote Sensing VIII, September 24-27, 2012, Edinburgh, United Kingdom. Proceedings of the SPIE, vol. 8534, ed. EI Kassianov, et al, p. Paper No. 853407. SPIE Publishing, Bellingham, WA. doi:10.1117/12.977862
- Fast JD, WI Gustafson, Jr, LK Berg, WJ Shaw, MS Pekour, MKB Shrivastava, JC Barnard, R Ferrare, CA Hostetler, J Hair, MH Erickson, T Jobson, B Flowers, MK Dubey, PhD, SR Springston, BR Pirce, L Dolislager, JR Pederson, and RA Zaveri. 2012. "Transport and Mixing Patterns over Central California during the Carbonaceous Aerosol and Radiative Effects Study (CARES)." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 12(4):1759-1783. doi:10.5194/acp-12-1759-2012
- Laskin A, RC Moffet, MK Gilles, JD Fast, RA Zaveri, B Wang, P Nigge, and JI Shutthanandan. 2012. "Tropospheric Chemistry of Internally Mixed Sea Salt and Organic Particles: Surprising Reactivity of NaCl with Weak Organic Acids." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 117:Article No. D15302. doi:10.1029/2012JD017743
- Ochoa C, D Baumgardner, M Grutter, JD Allan, JD Fast, and B Rappengluck. 2012. "Physical and chemical properties of the regional mixed layer of Mexico's Megapolis - Part II: Evaluation of measured and modeled trace gases and particle size distributions." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 12(21):10106-10179. doi:10.5194/acp-12-10161-2012
- Seethala C, G Pandithurai, JD Fast, SD Polade, MS Reddy, and SE Peckham. 2012. "Evaluating WRF-Chem multi-scale model in simulating aerosol radiative properties over the tropics - A case study over India." MAPAN 26(4):269-284. doi:10.1007/s12647-011-0025-2
- Setyan A, Q Zhang, M Merkel, WB Knighton, Y Sun, C Song, JE Shilling, TB Onasch, SC Herndon, DR Worsnop, JD Fast, RA Zaveri, LK Berg, A Wiedensohler, BA Flowers, MK Dubey, and R Subramanian. 2012. "Characterization of submicron particles influenced by mixed biogenic and anthropogenic emissions using high-resolution aerosol mass spectrometry: results from CARES." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 12(17):8131-8156. doi:10.5194/acp-12-8131-2012
- Yang Q, WI Gustafson, Jr, JD Fast, H Wang, RC Easter, Jr, M Wang, SJ Ghan, LK Berg, LYR Leung, and H Morrison. 2012. "Impact of natural and anthropogenic aerosols on stratocumulus and precipitation in the Southeast Pacific: A regional modeling study using WRF-Chem." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 12(18):8777-8796. doi:10.5194/acp-12-8777-2012
- Zaveri RA, WJ Shaw, DJ Cziczo, B Schmid, R Ferrare, ML Alexander, M Alexandrov, RJ Alvarez, WP Arnott, D Atkinson, S Baidar, RM Banta, JC Barnard, J Beranek, LK Berg, FJ Brechtel, WA Brewer, JF Cahill, B Cairns, CD Cappa, D Chand, S China, JM Comstock, MK Dubey, RC Easter, Jr, MH Erickson, JD Fast, C Floerchinger, BA Flowers, E Fortner, JS Gaffney, MK Gilles, K Gorkowski, WI Gustafson, Jr, MS Gyawali, J Hair, M Hardesty, JW Harworth, SC Herndon, N Hiranuma, CA Hostetler, JM Hubbe, JT Jayne, H Jeong, BT Jobson, EI Kassianov, LI Kleinman, CD Kluzek, B Knighton, KR Kolesar, C Kuang, A Kubatova, AO Langford, A Laskin, NS Laulainen, RD Marchbanks, C Mazzoleni, F Mei, RC Moffet, DA Nelson, M Obland, H Oetjen, TB Onasch, I Ortega, M Ottaviani, MS Pekour, KA Prather, JG Radney, R Rogers, SP Sandberg, A Sedlacek, C Senff, G Senum, A Setyan, JE Shilling, MKB Shrivastava, C Song, SR Springston, R Subramanian, K Suski, JM Tomlinson, RM Volkamer, HA Wallace, J Wang, AM Weickmann, DR Worsnop, XY Yu, A Zelenyuk, and Q Zhang. 2012. "Overview of the 2010 Carbonaceous Aerosols and Radiative Effects Study (CARES)." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 12(16):7647-7687. doi:10.5194/acp-12-7647-2012
- Brioude J, SW Kim, WM Angevine, GJ Frost, SH Lee, SA McKeen, M Trainer, FC Fehsenfeld, JS Holloway, TB Ryerson, EJ Williams, G Petron, and JD Fast. 2011. "Top-down estimate of anthropogenic emission inventories and their interannual variability in Houston using a mesoscale inverse modeling technique." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 116:Article No. D20305. doi:10.1029/2011JD016215
- Fast JD, WI Gustafson, Jr, EG Chapman, RC Easter, Jr, JP Rishel, RA Zaveri, G Grell, and M Barth. 2011. "The Aerosol Modeling Testbed: A community tool to objectively evaluate aerosol process modules." Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 92(3):343-360. doi:10.1175/2010BAMS2868.1
- Grell GA, S Freitas, M Stuefer, and JD Fast. 2011. "Inclusion of biomass burning in WRF-Chem: Impact of wildfires on weather forecasts." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 11(11):5289-5303. doi:10.5194/acp-11-5289-2011
- Gustafson WI, Jr, Y Qian, and JD Fast. 2011. "Downscaling Aerosols and the Impact of Neglected Subgrid Processes on Direct Aerosol Radiative Forcing for a Representative Global Climate Model Grid Spacing." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 116:Article No. D13303. doi:10.1029/2010JD015480
- Matsui H, M Koike, Y Kondo, N Takegawa, A Wiedensohler, JD Fast, and RA Zaveri. 2011. "Impact of new particle formation on the concentrations of aerosol number and cloud condensation nuclei around Beijing." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 116:Article No. D19208. doi:10.1029/2011JD016025
- Shrivastava MKB, JD Fast, RC Easter, Jr, WI Gustafson, Jr, RA Zaveri, JL Jimenez, P Saide, and A Hodzic. 2011. "Modeling Organic Aerosols in a Megacity: Comparison of Simple and Complex Representations of the Volatility Basis Set Approach." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 11(13):6639-6662. doi:10.5194/acp-11-6639-2011
- Yang Q, WI Gustafson, Jr, JD Fast, H Wang, RC Easter, Jr, H Morrison, YN Lee, EG Chapman, SN Spak, and MA Mena-Carrasco. 2011. "Assessing regional scale predictions of aerosols, marine stratocumulus, and their interactions during VOCALS-REx using WRF-Chem." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 11(23):11951-11975. doi:10.5194/acp-11-11951-2011
- Qian Y, WI Gustafson, Jr, and JD Fast. 2010. "An investigation of the sub-grid variability of trace gases and aerosols for global climate modeling." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 10:6917-6946. doi:10.5194/acp-10-6917-2010
- Barnard JC, JD Fast, GL Paredes-Miranda, WP Arnott, and A Laskin. 2010. "Technical Note: Evaluation of the WRF-Chem "Aerosol Chemical to Aerosol Optical Properties" Module using data from the MILAGRO campaign ." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 10(15):7325-7340. doi:10.5194/acp-10-7325-2010
- Grell G, JD Fast, WI Gustafson, Jr, SE Peckham, SA McKeen, M Salzmann, and S Freitas. 2010. "On-line Chemistry within WRF: Description and Evaluation of a State-of-the-Art Multiscale Air Quality and Weather Prediction Model." Chapter 3 in Integrated Systems of Meso-Meteorological and Chemical Transport Models, ed. A Baklanov, A Mahura and R Sokhi, pp. 41-54. Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg, Germany.
- Hodzic A, JL Jimenez, ASH Prevot, S Szidat, JD Fast, and S Madronich. 2010. "Can 3-D models explain the observed fractions of fossil and non-fossil carbon in and near Mexico City?" Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 10(22):10997 -11016. doi:10.5194/acp-10-10997-2010
- Hodzic A, JL Jimenez, S Madronich, MR Canagaratna, PF DeCarlo, LI Kleinman, and JD Fast. 2010. "Modeling organic aerosols in a megacity: potential contribution of semi-volatile and intermediate volatility primary organic compounds to secondary organic aerosol formation." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 10(12):5491-5514. doi:10.5194/acp-10-5491-2010
- Matsui H, M Koike, Y Kondo, N Takegawa, JD Fast, U Poschl, RM Garland, MO Andreae, A Wiedensohler, N Sugimoto, and T Zhu. 2010. "Spatial and temporal variations of aerosols around Beijing in summer 2006: 2. Local and column aerosol optical properties." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 115:Paper No. D22207. doi:10.1029/2010JD013895
- Moffet RC, TR Henn, AV Tivanski, RJ Hopkins, Y Desyaterik, AL Kilcoyne, T Tyliszczak, JD Fast, JC Barnard, V Shutthanandan, SS Cliff, KD Perry, A Laskin, and MK Gilles. 2010. "Microscopic Characterization of Carbonaceous Aerosol Particle Aging in the Outflow from Mexico City." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 10(3):961-976.
- Molina LT, S Madronich, J Gaffney, E Apel, B de Foy, JD Fast, R Ferrare, SC Herndon, JL Jimenez, BK Lamb, AR Orsonio-Vargas, PB Russell, JJ Schauer, PS Stevens, RM Volkamer, and MA Zavala. 2010. "An Overview of the MILAGRO 2006 Campaign: Mexico City Emissions and their Transport and Transformation ." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 10(18):8697-8760. doi:10.5194/acp-10-8697-2010
- Wyant MC, R Wood, CS Bretherton, CR Mechoso, J Bacmeister, MA Balmaseda, B Barrett, F Codron, P Earnshaw, JD Fast, C Hannay, JW Kaiser, H Kitagawa, SA Klein, M Kohler, J Manganello, HL Pan, F Sun, S Wang, and Y Wang. 2010. "The PreVOCA experiment: Modeling the Lower Troposphere in the Southeast Pacific." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 10(10):4757-4774. doi:10.5194/acp-10-4757-2010
- Zhang Y, Y Pan, K Wang, JD Fast, and GA Grell. 2010. "WRF/Chem-MADRID: Incorporation of an Improved Aerosol Module into WRF/Chem and Its Initial Application to the TexAQS2000 Episode." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 115:Article No. D18202. doi:10.1029/2009JD013443
- Zhao C, X Liu, LYR Leung, B Johnson, SA McFarlane, WI Gustafson, Jr, JD Fast, and RC Easter, Jr. 2010. "The spatial distribution of mineral dust and its shortwave radiative forcing over North Africa: Modeling sensitivities to dust emissions and aerosol size treatments ." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 10(18):8821-8838. doi:10.5194/acp-10-8821-2010
- Fast JD, SJ Ghan, and SE Schwartz. 2009. Modeling Activities in the Department of Energy's Atmospheric Sciences Program. PNNL-18752, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Chapman EG, WI Gustafson, Jr, RC Easter, Jr, JC Barnard, SJ Ghan, MS Pekour, and JD Fast. 2009. "Coupling Aerosol-Cloud-Radiative Processes in the WRF-Chem Model: Investigating the Radiative Impact of Elevated Point Sources." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 9(3):945-964.
- Fast JD, A Aiken, JD Allan, ML Alexander, T Campos, MR Canagaratna, EG Chapman, P DeCarlo, B de Foy, J Gaffney, JA de Gouw, JC Doran, L Emmons, A Hodzic, SC Herndon, LG Huey, JT Jayne, JL Jimenez, LI Kleinman, WC Kuster, NA Marley, LM Russell, C Ochoa, TB Onasch, MS Pekour, C Song, IM Ulbrich, C Warneke, D Welsh-Bon, C Wiedinmyer, DR Worsnop, XY Yu, and RA Zaveri. 2009. "Evaluating Simulated Primary Anthropogenic and Biomass Burning Organic Aerosols during MILAGRO: Implications for Assessing Treatments of Secondary Organic Aerosols." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 9(16):6191-6215.
- Hodzic A, JL Jimenez, S Madronich, A Aiken, B Bessagnet, G Curci, JD Fast, JF Lamarque, TB Onasch, G Roux, JJ Schauer, and EA Stone. 2009. "Modeling Organic Aerosols during MILAGRO: Application of the CHIMERE Model and Importance of Biogenic Secondary Organic Aerosols." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 9(18):6949-6981.
- Matsui H, M Koike, Y Kondo, N Takegawa, K Kita, Y Miyazaki, M Hu, SY Chang, DR Blake, JD Fast, RA Zaveri, DG Streets, Q Zhang, and T Zhou. 2009. "Spatial and Temporal Variations of Aerosols Around Beijing in the Summer 2006: Model Evaluation and Source Apportionment." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 114:Article number: D00G13. doi:10.1029/2008JD010906
- Ntelekos AA, JS Smith, LJ Donner, JD Fast, WI Gustafson, Jr, EG Chapman, and WF Krajewski. 2009. "The Effects of Aerosols on Intense Convective Precipitation in the Northeastern U.S." Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 135(643):1367-1391. doi:10.1002/qj.476
- de Foy B, JD Fast, SJ Paech, D Phillips, JT Walters, RL Coulter, TJ Martin, MS Pekour, WJ Shaw, PP Kastendeuch, NA Marley, A Retama, and LT Molina. 2008. "Basin-Scale Wind Transport during the MILAGRO Field Campaign and Comparison to Climatology Using Cluster Analysis." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 8(5):1209-1224.
- Doran JC, JD Fast, JC Barnard, A Laskin, Y Desyaterik, MK Gilles, and RJ Hopkins. 2008. "Applications of Lagrangian Dispersion Modeling to the Analysis of Changes in the Specific Absorption of Elemental Carbon." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 8(5):1377-1389.
- Fast JD, RK Newsom, KJ Allwine, Q Xu, P Zhang, JH Copeland, and J Sun. 2008. "An Evaluation of Two NEXRAD Wind Retrieval Methodologies and Their Use in Atmospheric Dispersion Models." Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology 47(9):2351-2371. doi:10.1175/2008JAMC1853.1
- Grossman-Clarke S, Y Liu, JA Zehnder, and JD Fast. 2008. "Simulations of the Urban Planetary Boundary Layer in an Arid Metropolitan Area." Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology 47(3):752-768.
- Herndon SC, TB Onasch, EC Wood, JH Kroll, MR Canagaratna, JT Jayne, MA Zavala, WB Knighton, C Mazzoleni, MK Dubey, IM Ulbrich, JL Jimenez, R Seila, JA de Gouw, B de Foy, JD Fast, LT Molina, CE Kolb, and DR Worsnop. 2008. "Correlation of Secondary Organic Aerosol with Odd Oxygen in Mexico City." Geophysical Research Letters 35(15):L15804. doi:10.1029/2008GL034058
- Zaveri RA, RC Easter, Jr, JD Fast, and LK Peters. 2008. "Model for Simulating Aerosol Interactions and Chemistry (MOSAIC)." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 113(D13):Art. No. D13204. doi:10.1029/2007JD008782
- Fast JD, B de Foy, FA Rosas, E Caetano, G Carmichael, L Emmons, D McKenna, M Mena, W Skamarock, X Tie, RL Coulter, JC Barnard, C Wiedinmyer, and S Madronich. 2007. "A Meteorological Overview of the MILAGRO Field Campaigns." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 7(9):2233-2257.
- Gustafson WI, Jr, EG Chapman, SJ Ghan, RC Easter, Jr, and JD Fast. 2007. "Impact on Modeled Cloud Characteristics Due to Simplified Treatment of Uniform Cloud Condensation Nuclei During NEAQS 2004." Geophysical Research Letters 34(19):L19809. doi:10.1029/2007GL030021
- Doran JC, JC Barnard, WP Arnott, R Cary, RL Coulter, JD Fast, EI Kassianov, LI Kleinman, NS Laulainen, TJ Martin, GL Paredes-Miranda, MS Pekour, WJ Shaw, DF Smith, SR Springston, and XY Yu. 2007. "The T1-T2 Study: Evolution of Aerosol Properties Downwind of Mexico City." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 7(6):1585-1598.
- Fast JD, RK Newsom, KJ Allwine, Q Xu, P Zhang, JH Copeland, and J Sun. 2007. Development of NEXRAD Wind Retrievals as Input to Atmospheric Dispersion Models. PNNL-16399, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Fast JD, KJ Allwine, RN Dietz, KL Clawson, and JC Torcolini. 2006. "Dispersion of Perfluorocarbon Tracers within the Salt Lake Valley during VTMX 2000." Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology 45(6):793-812.
- Fast JD, WI Gustafson, Jr, RC Easter, Jr, RA Zaveri, JC Barnard, EG Chapman, G Grell, and SE Peckham. 2006. "Evolution of Ozone, Particulates, and Aerosol Direct Radiative Forcing in the Vicinity of Houston Using a Fully Coupled Meteorology-Chemistry-Aerosol Model." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 111(D21):D21305. doi:10.1029/2005JD006721
- Fast JD, and WE Heilman. 2005. "Simulated Sensitivity of Seasonal Ozone Exposure in the Great Lakes Region to Changes in Anthropogenic Emissions in the Presence of Interannual Variability." Atmospheric Environment 39(29):5291-5306.
- Fast JD, JC Torcolini, and R Redman. 2005. "Pseudovertical Temperature Profiles and the Urban Heat Island Measured by a Temperature Datalogger Network in Phoenix, Arizona." Journal of Applied Meteorology 44(1):3-13.
- Gustafson WI, Jr, EG Chapman, and JD Fast. 2005. "Effect of Clouds on Sulfate Production and Aerosol Optical Depths in Western Pennsylvania During August 2004." In American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, December 5-9, 2005, San Francisco, California. American Geophysical Union, Washington, DC.
- Gustafson WI, Jr, JD Fast, RC Easter, Jr, and SJ Ghan. 2005. "Triumphs and Tribulations of WRF-Chem Development and Use." In 2005 Joint WRF/MM5 User's Workshop, June 27-30, 2005, Boulder, Colorado, p. Paper No. 8.4. National Center for Atmospheric Research, Boulder, CO.
- De Wekker S, DG Steyn, JD Fast, MW Rotach, and S Zhong. 2005. "The Performance of RAMS in Representing the Convective Boundary Layer Structure in a Very Steep Valley." Environmental Fluid Mechanics 5(1-2):35-62.
- Zhang Y, XM Hu, G Howell, ED Sills, JD Fast, WI Gustafson, Jr, RA Zaveri, GA Grell, SE Peckham, and SA McKeen. 2005. "Modeling Atmospheric Aerosols in WRF/Chem." In 2005 Joint WRF/MM5 User's Workshop, June 27-30, 2005, Boulder, Colorado. National Center for Atmospheric Research, Boulder, CO.
- Fast JD, and LS Darby. 2004. "An Evaluation of Mesoscale Model Predictions of Down-Valley and Canyon Flows and Their Consequences Using Doppler Lidar Measurements During VTMX 2000." Journal of Applied Meteorology 43(3):420-436.
- Banta RM, LS Darby, JD Fast, JO Pinto, CD Whiteman, WJ Shaw, and BW Orr. 2004. "Nocturnal Low-Level Jet in a Mountain Basin Complex. I. Evolution and Effects on Local Flows." Journal of Applied Meteorology 43(10):1348-1365.
- Barnard JC, EG Chapman, JD Fast, JR Schmelzer, JR, JR Schlusser, and RE Shetter. 2004. "An Evaluation of the FAST-J Photolysis algorithm for predicting nitrogen dioxide photolysis rates under clear and cloudy sky conditions." Atmospheric Environment 38(21):3393-3403.
- Jiang G, and JD Fast. 2004. "Modeling the Effects of VOC and NOx Emission Sources on Ozone Formation in Houston during the TexAQS 2000 Field Campaign." Atmospheric Environment 38(30):5071-5085.
- Stutz JP, B Alicke, R Ackerman, A Geyer, SH Wang, AB White, EJ Williams, CW Spicer, Jr, and JD Fast. 2004. "Relative Humidity Dependence of HONO Chemistry in Urban Areas." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 109(D3):D03307. doi:10.1029/2003JD004135
- Fast JD, and WE Heilman. 2003. "The Effect of Lake Temperatures and Emissions on Ozone Exposure in the Western Great Lakes Region." Journal of Applied Meteorology 42(9):1197-1217.
- Fast JD. 2003. "Forecasts of Valley Circulations Using the Terrain-Following and Step-Mountain Vertical Coordinates in the Meso Eta Model." Weather and Forecasting 18(6):1192-1206.
- Kleinman LI, PH Daum, YN Lee, LJ Nunnermacker, SR Springston, J Weinstein-Lloyd, P Hyde, P Doskey, J Rudolph, JD Fast, and CM Berkowitz. 2003. "Photochemical Age Determinations in the Phoenix Metropolitan Area." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 108(D3):4096. doi:10.1029/2002JD002621
- Wang SH, R Ackermann, CW Spicer, Jr, JD Fast, M Schmeling, and J Stutz. 2003. "Atmospheric Observations of Enhanced NO2-HONO Conversion on Mineral Dust Particles." Geophysical Research Letters 30(11):1595. doi:10.1029/2003GL017014
- Zhong S, and JD Fast. 2003. "An Evaluation of MM5, RAMS, and Meso-Eta Models at Subkilometer Resolution Using VTMX Field Campaign Data in the Salt Lake Valley." Monthly Weather Review 131(7):1301-1322.
- Zhong S, and JD Fast. 2003. "An Evaluation of the MM5, RAMS, and Meso-Eta Models at Subkilometer Resolution Using VTMX Field Campaign Data in the Salt Lake Valley." Monthly Weather Review 131(7):1301-1322.
- Fast JD, and WJ Shaw. 2002. "Observed and Simulated Turbulence Kinetic Energy and Dissipation Profiles in an Urban Valley During VTMX 2000." In 15th Symposium on Boundary Layers and Turbulence, pp. 638-641. American Meteorological Society, Boston, MA.
- Fast JD, RA Zaveri, RX Bian, EG Chapman, and RC Easter, Jr. 2002. "Effect of Regional-Scale Transport on Oxidants in the Vicinity of Philadelphia During the 1999 NE-OPS Field Campaign." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 107(D16):, doi:10.1029/2001JD000980
- Berkowitz CM, J Stutz, CW Spicer, JC Doran, JD Fast, and S Wang. 2002. "Vertical Mixing and Chemistry Over an Arid Urban Site: First Results from Skyscraper Observations Made During the Phoenix Sunrise Campaign." In Fourth Conference on Atmospheric Chemistry: Urban, Regional, and Global Scale Impacts of Air Pollutants, pp. 35-38. American Meteorological Society, Boston, MA.
- Berkowitz CM, SR Springston, JC Doran, and JD Fast. 2002. "Vertical Mixing and Chemistry Over an Arid Urban Site: First Results from Aircraft Observations Made During the Phoenix Sunrise Campaign." In Fourth Conference on Atmospheric Chemistry: Urban, Regional, and Global Scale Impacts of Air Pollutants, pp. 165-168. American Meteorological Society, Boston, MA.
- Doran JC, JD Fast, and JD Horel. 2002. "The VTMX 2000 Campaign." Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 83(4):537-551.
- Doran JC, CM Berkowitz, and JD Fast. 2002. "The Phoenix 2001 Field Campaign: Evolution of Oxidants during the Morning Transition Period." In Fourth Conference on Atmospheric Chemistry: Urban, Regional, and Global-Scale Impacts of Air Pollutants, January 13-17, 2002, Orlando, Florida, pp. 83-87. American Meteorological Society, Boston, MA.
- Stutz J, R Ackerman, JD Fast, and LA Barrie. 2002. "Atmospheric Reactive Chlorine and Bromine at the Great Salt Lake, Utah." Geophysical Research Letters 29(10):1380. doi:10.1029/2002GL014812
- Fast JD, and JC Doran. 2000. "Boundary Layer Characteristics in Phoenix and Their Effect on Vertical Transport and Mixing." In AMS 9th Conference on Mountain Meteorology, pp. 292-297. American Meteorological Society, Boston, MA.
- Fast JD, JC Doran, WJ Shaw, RL Coulter, and TJ Martin. 2000. "The Evolution of the Boundary Layer and Its Effect on Air Chemistry in the Phoenix Area." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 105(D18):22,833-22,848.
- Berkowitz CM, JD Fast, and RC Easter, Jr. 2000. "Boundary Layer Vertical Exchange Processes and the Mass Budget of Ozone: Observations and Model Results." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 105(D11):14,789-14,805.
- Whiteman CD, S Zhong, X Bian, JD Fast, and JC Doran. 2000. "Boundary Layer Evolution and Regional-Scale Diurnal Circulations over the Mexico Basin and Mexican Plateau." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 105(D8):10,081-10,102.
- Edgerton SA, X Bian, JC Doran, JD Fast, JM Hubbe, EL Malone, WJ Shaw, CD Whiteman, S Zhong, JL Arriaga, E Ortiz, M Ruiz, G Sosa, E Vega, T Limon, F Guzman, J Archuleta, JE Bossert, S Elliott, JT Lee, LA McNair, JC Chow, JG Watson, RL Coulter, PV Doskey, JS Gaffney, NA Marley, W Neff, and R Petty. 1999. "Particulate Air Pollution in Mexico City: A Collaborative Research Project." Journal of the Air and Waste Management Association 49:1221-1229.
- Doran JC, X Bian, SA Edgerton, JD Fast, JM Hubbe, WJ Shaw, and CD Whiteman. 1998. "The IMADA-AVER Boundary-Layer Experiment in the Mexico City Area." Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 79(11):2497-2508.
- Spicer CW, EG Chapman, BJ Finlayson-Pitts, RA Plastridge, JM Hubbe, JD Fast, and CM Berkowitz. 1998. "First Observations of Molecular Halogens in the Marine Troposphere." Nature 394(6691):353-356.