Joint Global Change Research Institute
Jae Edmonds is a Chief Scientist and Laboratory Fellow at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory's (PNNL) Joint Global Change Research Institute, and Adjunct Professor of Public Policy at the University of Maryland at College Park. Dr. Edmonds is the principal investigator for the Global Energy Technology Strategy Program to Address Climate Change, an international, public-private research collaboration. His research in the areas of long-term, global, energy, economy, and climate change spans three decades, during which time he published several books, numerous scientific papers and made countless presentations. His most recent book, Global Energy Technology Strategy, Addressing Climate Change, distills more than a decade of research on the role of technology in addressing climate change. Dr. Edmonds has served in the capacity of Lead Author on every major IPCC assessment to date and presently serves on the IPCC Steering Committee on "New Integrated Scenarios". He serves on numerous panels and advisory boards related to energy, technology, the economy and climate change. His received his Ph.D. in the field of Economics from Duke University in 1975.
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D., Economics, Duke University
- M.A., Ecomonics, Duke University
- B.A., Economics, Kalamazoo College
Awards and Recognitions
- Cosmos Club Member, 2003-present
- Chester L. Cooper Award for Mentoring, PNNL, 2006.
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- Director’s Award for Outstand Performance, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, 2002
- Distinguished Service Award, U.S. State Department, 2001
- BER50 Award in recognition of his research accomplishments, United States Department of Energy, 1997
- Director’s Award for Research Group Performance, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, 1993
- Scientific Book Of The Year, for A Primer on Greenhouse Gases with Don Wuebbles, (Lewis Publishing), 1991, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
- Calvin KV, MA Wise, LE Clarke, JA Edmonds, GP Kyle, PW Luckow, and AM Thomson. 2013. "Implications of simultaneously mitigating and adapting to climate change: Initial experiments using GCAM." Climatic Change 117(3):545-560. doi:10.1007/s10584-012-0650-y
- Chaturvedi V, MI Hejazi, JA Edmonds, LE Clarke, GP Kyle, E Davies, MA Wise, and KV Calvin. 2013. Climate policy implications for agricultural water demand. PNNL-22356, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Davies E, GP Kyle, and JA Edmonds. 2013. "An integrated assessment of global and regional water demands for electricity generation to 2095." Advances in Water Resources 52:296-313. doi:10.1016/j.advwatres.2012.11.020
- Edmonds JA, PW Luckow, KV Calvin, MA Wise, JJ Dooley, GP Kyle, SH Kim, PL Patel, and LE Clarke. 2013. "Can Radiative Forcing Be Limited to 2.6 Wm-2 Without Negative Emissions From Bioenergy AND CO2 Capture and Storage?" Climatic Change 118(1):29-43. doi:10.1007/s10584-012-0678-z
- Eom J, RH Moss, JA Edmonds, KV Calvin, LE Clarke, JJ Dooley, SH Kim, R Kopp, GP Kyle, PW Luckow, PL Patel, AM Thomson, MA Wise, and Y Zhou. 2013. "Scenarios of Future Socio-Economics, Energy, Land Use, and Radiative Forcing." In Engineering Response to Climate Change, 2nd Ed., ed. RG Watts, pp. 81-138 CRC Press Inc, Boca Raton, FL.
- Hejazi MI, JA Edmonds, V Chaturvedi, E Davies, and J Eom. 2013. "Scenarios of Global Municipal Water-Use Demand Projections over the 21st Century." Hydrological Sciences Journal 58(3):1-20. doi:10.1080/02626667.2013.772301
- Jones AD, WD Collins, JA Edmonds, MS Torn, AC Janetos, KV Calvin, AM Thomson, LM Chini, J Mao, X Shi, P Thornton, G Hurtt, and MA Wise. 2013. "Greenhouse gas policy influences climate via direct effects of land-use change." Journal of Climate 26(11):3657-3670. doi:10.1175/JCLI-D-12-00377.1
- Kyle GP, E Davies, JJ Dooley, SJ Smith, LE Clarke, JA Edmonds, and MI Hejazi. 2013. "Influence of Climate Change Mitigation Technology on Global Demands of Water for Electricity Generation." International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 13:112-123. doi:10.1016/j.ijggc.2012.12.006
- Le Page YLB, G Hurtt, AM Thomson, B Bond-Lamberty, PL Patel, MA Wise, KV Calvin, GP Kyle, LE Clarke, JA Edmonds, and AC Janetos. 2013. "Sensitivity of climate mitigation strategies to natural disturbances." Environmental Research Letters 8(1):Article No. 015018. doi:10.1088/1748-9326/8/1/015018
- Smith SJ, JF Karas, JA Edmonds, J Eom, and AH Mizrahi. 2013. "Sensitivity of Multi-gas Climate Policy to Emission Metrics." Climatic Change 117(4):663-675. doi:10.1007/s10584-012-0565-7
- Zhou S, GP Kyle, S Yu, LE Clarke, J Eom, PW Luckow, V Chaturvedi, X Zhang, and JA Edmonds. 2013. "Energy use and CO2 emissions of China's industrial sector from a global perspective." Energy Policy 58:284-294. doi:10.1016/j.enpol.2013.03.014
- Edmonds JA, KV Calvin, LE Clarke, AC Janetos, SH Kim, MA Wise, and HC McJeon. 2012. "Integrated Assessment Modeling." In Encyclopedia of Sustainability Science and Technology, ed. RA Meyers, pp. 5398-5428. Springer , New York, NY.
- Edmonds JA, KV Calvin, LE Clarke, GP Kyle, and MA Wise. 2012. "Energy and technology lessons since Rio." Energy Economics 34(Supplement 1):S7-S14. doi:10.1016/j.eneco.2012.08.037
- Eom J, KV Calvin, LE Clarke, JA Edmonds, SH Kim, R Kopp, GP Kyle, P Luckow, RH Moss, PL Patel, and MA Wise. 2012. "Exploring the Future Role of Asia Utilizing A Scenario Matrix Architecture and Shared Socio-Ecosystem Pathways." Energy Economics 34(Supplement 3):S325-S338. doi:10.1016/j.eneco.2012.03.012
- Hejazi MI, JA Edmonds, and V Chaturvedi. 2012. "Global irrigation demand - A holistic approach." Irrigation & Drainage Systems Engineering 1(2):Article No. e106.
- Van Vuuren D, K Riahi, RH Moss, JA Edmonds, AM Thomson, N Nakicenovic, T Kram, F Berkhout, R Swart, AC Janetos, SK Rose, and N Arnell. 2012. "A proposal for a new scenario framework to support research and assessment in different climate research communities." Global Environmental Change. Part A, Human and Policy Dimensions 22(1):21-35. doi:10.1016/j.gloenvcha.2011.08.002
- Thomson AM, KV Calvin, SJ Smith, GP Kyle, AC Volke, PL Patel, S Delgado Arias, B Bond-Lamberty, MA Wise, LE Clarke, and JA Edmonds. 2011. "RCP4.5: A Pathway for Stabilization of Radiative Forcing by 2100." Climatic Change 109(1-2):77-94. doi:10.1007/s10584-011-0151-4
- Van Vuuren D, JA Edmonds, M Kainuma, K Riahi, AM Thomson, KA Hibbard, G Hurtt, T Kram, V Krey, JF Lamarque, T Masui, M Meinhausen, N Nakicenovic, SJ Smith, and SK Rose. 2011. "The Representative Concentration Pathways: An Overview." Climatic Change 109(1-2):5-31. doi:10.1007/s10584-011-0148-z
- Van Vuuren D, JA Edmonds, M Kainuma, K Riahi, and J Weyant. 2011. "A special issue on the RCPs." Climatic Change 109(1-2 SP ISS):1-4. doi:10.1007/s10584-011-0157-y
- Calvin KV, JA Edmonds, and MA Wise. 2010. Bioenergy and the importance of land use policy in a carbon-constrained world. PNNL-19462, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Manning M, JA Edmonds, S Emori, A Grubler, KA Hibbard, F Joos, M Kainuma, R Keeling, T Kram, A Manning, M Meinhausen, RH Moss, N Nakicenovic, K Riahi, SK Rose, SJ Smith, R Swart, and D Van Vuuren. 2010. "Misrepresentation of the IPCC CO2 emission scenarios ." Nature Geoscience 3(6):376-377.
- Moss RH, JA Edmonds, K Hibbard, M Manning, SK Rose, D Van Vuuren, T Carter, S Emori, M Kainuma, T Kram, G Meehl, J Mitchell, N Nakicenovic, K Riahi, SJ Smith, R Stouffer, AM Thomson, J Weyant, and T Wilbanks. 2010. "The Next Generation of Scenarios for Climate Change Research and Assessment." Nature 463(7282):747-756. doi:10.1038/nature08823
- Thomson AM, KV Calvin, LP Chini, G Hurtt, JA Edmonds, B Bond-Lamberty, S Frolking, MA Wise, and AC Janetos. 2010. "Climate mitigation and the future of tropical landscapes." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 107(46):19633-19638 .
- Van Vuuren D, JA Edmonds, SJ Smith, KV Calvin, JF Karas, M Kainuma, N Nakicenovic, K Riahi, B van Ruijven, R Swart, and AM Thomson. 2010. "What do near-term observations tell us about long-term developments in greenhouse gas emissions?" Climatic Change 103(3-4):635-642. doi:10.1007/s10584-010-9940-4
- Calvin KV, JA Edmonds, B Bond-Lamberty, LE Clarke, SH Kim, GP Kyle, SJ Smith, AM Thomson, and MA Wise. 2009. "2.6: Limiting Climate Change to 450 ppm CO2 Equivalent in the 21st Century." Energy Economics 31(2):S107-S120.
- Calvin KV, JA Edmonds, LE Clarke, B Bond-Lamberty, SH Kim, MA Wise, AM Thomson, and GP Kyle. 2009. Land-use Leakage. PNNL-18585, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Calvin KV, PL Patel, AA Fawcett, LE Clarke, K Fisher-Vanden, JA Edmonds, SH Kim, R Sands, and MA Wise. 2009. "The Distribution and Magnitude of Emissions Mitigation Costs in Climate Stabilization Under Less Than Perfect International Cooperation: SGM Results." Energy Economics 31(2):S187-S197 .
- Clarke LE, JA Edmonds, V Krey, RG Richels, S Rose, and M Tavoni. 2009. "International Climate Policy Architectures: Overview of the EMF 22 International Scenarios ." Energy Economics 31(2):S64-S81.
- Kyle GP, LE Clarke, G Pugh, MA Wise, KV Calvin, JA Edmonds, and SH Kim. 2009. "The Value of Advanced Technology in Meeting 2050 Greenhouse Gas Emissions Targets in the United States." Energy Economics 31(2):S254-S267.
- Wigley TM, LE Clarke, JA Edmonds, HD Jacoby, S Paltsev, HM Pitcher, JM Reilly, RG Richels, MC Sarofim, and SJ Smith. 2009. "Uncertainties in climate stabilization." Journal of Climate 97(1-2):85-121 .
- Wise MA, KV Calvin, AM Thomson, LE Clarke, B Bond-Lamberty, RD Sands, SJ Smith, AC Janetos, and JA Edmonds. 2009. "Implications of Limiting CO2 Concentrations for Land Use and Energy." Science 324(5931):1183-1186 .
- Clarke LE, J Weyant, and JA Edmonds. 2008. "On the sources of technological change: What do the models assume." Energy Economics 30(2):409-424.
- Edmonds JA, LE Clarke, MA Wise, HM Pitcher, and SJ Smith. 2008. "Implications for the USA of stabilization of radiative forcing at 3.4 W/m2 ." Climate Policy 8:S76 - S92.
- Edmonds JA, LE Clarke, JP Lurz, and MA Wise. 2008. "Stabilizing CO2 Concentrations with Incomplete International Cooperation." Climate Policy 8(4):355-376.
- Moss RH, M Babiker, S Brinkman, E Calvo, T Carter, JA Edmonds, I Elgizouli, S Emori, E Lin, K Hibbard, R Jones, M Kainuma, J Kelleher, JF Lamarque, M Manning, B Matthews, J Meehl, L Meyer, J Mitchell, N Nakicenovic, B O'Neill, R Pichs, K Riahi, S Rose, PJ Runci, R Stouffer, D VanVuuren, J Weyant, T Wilbanks, JP van Ypersele, and M Zurek. 2008. "Towards New Scenarios for Analysis of Emissions, Climate Change, Impacts, and Response Strategies." In IPCC Expert Meeting Report: Towards New Scenarios, p. 132. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Edmonds JA, and LE Clarke. 2007. "Forum." Issues in Science and Technology 23(2):16-17.
- Edmonds JA, JJ Dooley, SH Kim, SJ Friedman, and MA Wise. 2007. "TECHNOLOGY IN AN INTEGRATED ASSESSMENT MODEL: THE POTENTIAL REGIONAL DEPLOYMENT OF CARBON CAPTURE AND STORAGE IN THE CONTEXT OF GLOBAL CO2 STABILIZATION." Chapter 16 in Human-Induced Climate Change: An Interdisciplinary Assessment, ed. M Schlesinger, et al, pp. 181-197. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom.
- Edmonds JA, LE Clarke, MA Wise, and JP Lurz. 2007. International CO2 Stabilization Scenarios with Less-Than-Perfect "Where" and "When" Flexibility. PNNL-16932, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Edmonds JA, MA Wise, JJ Dooley, SH Kim, SJ Smith, PJ Runci, LE Clarke, EL Malone, and GM Stokes. 2007. Global Energy Technology Strategy: Addressing Climate Change Phase 2 Findings from an international Public-Private Sponsored Research Program. Battetlle Memorial Institute, College Park, MD.
- Kim SH, and JA Edmonds. 2007. The Challenges and Potential of Nuclear Energy for Addressing Climate Change. PNNL-17037, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Edmonds JA, and SJ Smith. 2006. "The Technology of Two Degrees." In Avoiding Dangerous Climate Change, pp. 385-392. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom.
- Edmonds J, T Wilson, M Wise, and J Weyant. 2006. "Electrification of the Economy and CO2 Emissions Mitigation." Environmental Economics and Policy Studies 7(3):175-203.
- Kim SH, JA Edmonds, J Lurz, SJ Smith, and MA Wise. 2006. "The ObjECTS: Framework for Integrated Assessment: Hybrid Modeling of Transportation." The Energy Journal (Special Issue No. 2 2006):63.
- Smith SJ, and JA Edmonds. 2006. "The Economic Implications of Carbon Cycle Uncertainty." Tellus Series B, Chemical and Physical Meteorology 58(5):586-590. doi:10.1111/j.1600-0889.2006.00217.x
- Edmonds JA, F Joos, N Nakicenovic, RG Richels, and JL Sarmiento. 2005. "Scenarios, targets, gaps, and costs ." Chapter 4 in The Global Carbon Cycle: Integrating Humans, Climate, and the Natural World (SCOPE Series), vol. 62, ed. Chris Field and Michael Raupach, pp. 77-102 . Island Press, Washington, DC.
- Edmonds JA. 2005. "Unanticipated Consequences: Thinking About Ancillary Benefits and Costs of Greenhouse Gas Emissions Mitigation." Chapter 23 in The Global Carbon Cycle: Integrating Humans, Climate, and the Natural World (SCOPE Series), vol. 62, ed. Chris Field and Michael Raupach, pp. 419-430. Island Press, Washington, DC.
- Sands RD, and JA Edmonds. 2005. "Climate Change Impacts for the Conterminous USA: An Integrated Assessment Part 7. Economic Analysis of Field Crops and Land Use with Climate Change." Climatic Change 69(1):127-150. doi:10.1007/s10584-005-3616-5
- Kheshgi H, SJ Smith, and JA Edmonds. 2005. "Emissions and Atmospheric CO2 Stabilization: Long-Term Limits and Paths." Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change 10(2):213-220.
- Manne AW, RG Richels, and JA Edmonds. 2005. "Market Exchange Rates or Purchasing Power Parity: Does the Choice Make a Difference to the Climate Debate?" Climatic Change 71(1):1-8.
- Rosenberg NJ, and JA Edmonds. 2005. "Climate Change Impacts for the Conterminous USA: An Integrated Assessment: From MINK to the 'Lower 48': an introductory editorial ." Climatic Change 69(1):1-6. doi:10.1007/s10584-005-3608-5
- Geffen CA, JA Edmonds, and SH Kim. 2004. "Transportation and Climate Change: The Potential for Hydrogen Systems." In Environmental sustainability in the mobility industry : technology and business challenges, SAE World Congress, Detroit, Mich., SP (Society of Automotive Engineers) , vol. 1865, pp. 13-20. SAE International, Warrendale, PA.
- Dooley JJ, SH Kim, JA Edmonds, JS Friedman, and MA Wise. 2004. "A FIRST ORDER GLOBAL GEOLOGIC CO2 STORAGE POTENTIAL SUPPLY CURVE AND ITS APPLICATION IN A GLOBAL INTEGRATED ASSESSMENT MODEL." In Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference on Greenhouse Gas Control Technologies (GHGT7) , vol. 1, ed. ES Rubin, DW Keith, CF Gilboy, pp. 573-582. Elsevier, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- Edmonds JA, JF Clarke, JJ Dooley, SH Kim, and SJ Smith. 2004. "Modeling Greenhouse Gas Energy Technology Responses to Climate Change." Energy 29(9-10 (Special Issue)):1529-1536 .
- Edmonds JA, JF Clarke, JJ Dooley, SH Kim, and SJ Smith. 2004. "Stabilization of CO2 in a B2 World: Insights on The Roles of Carbon Capture and Disposal, Hydrogen, and Transportation Technologies." Energy Economics 26(4):517-537.
- Dilling L, S Doney, JA Edmonds, KR Gurney, R Harriss, D Schimel, B Stephens, and GM Stokes. 2003. "The Role of Carbon Cycle Observations and Knowledge in Carbon Management." In Annual Reviews of Environment and Resources, vol. 28, pp. 521-58. Annual Reviews, Pablo Alto, CA.
- Dooley JJ, JA Edmonds, RT Dahowski, and MA Wise. 2003. "Modeling Carbon Capture and Storage Technologies in Energy and Economic Models." In Proceedings of the IPCC Workshop for Carbon Capture and Storage, pp. 161-172. ECN , Petten, Netherlands.
- Edmonds JA, and GM Stokes. 2003. "Launching a Technology Revolution." In Climate Policy for the 21st Century: Meeting the Long-Term Challenge of Global Warming, ed. David Michel, pp. 153-186. Center for Transatlantic Relations, Washington, DC.
- Edmonds JA, and RD Sands. 2003. "What are the costs of limiting CO2 concentrations?" Chapter 7 in Global Climate Change: The Science, Economics, and Politics, ed. James M. Griffin, pp. 140-186. Edward Elgar Publishing, Cheltenham, United Kingdom.
- Edmonds JA, PF Freund, JR, and JJ Dooley. 2002. "The Role of Carbon Management Technologies in Addressing Atmospheric Stabilization of Greenhouse Gases." In Greenhouse Gas Control. Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Greenhouse Gas Control Technologies, GHCT-5, ed. David Williams, Bob Durie, et. al., pp. 46-51. CSIRO Publishing , Collingwood, Australia.
- Edmonds JA, JM Roop, and MJ Scott. 2001. "Technological Change and Its Effects on Mitigation Costs." In Climate Change: Science, Strategies, & Solutions, ed. Eileen Claussen, Vicki Arroyo Cochran, Debra P. Davis, pp. 209-226. Brill, Boston, MA.
- Kim SH, and JA Edmonds. 2000. Potential for Advanced Carbon Capture and Sequestration Technologies in a Climate Constrained World. PNNL-13095, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Scott MJ, RD Sands, JA Edmonds, AM Liebetrau, and DW Engel. 2000. "Uncertainty in Integrated Assessment Models: Modeling with MiniCAM 1.0." Energy Policy 27(14):855-879.
- Smith SJ, TL Wigley, and JA Edmonds. 2000. " A new route toward limiting climate change?" Science 290(5494):1109-1110.