Framework for Assessment of Complex Environmental Tradeoffs (FACET), in support of complex and competing environmental, social, and economic issues
Decision makers often face complex and competing choices that have broad ripple effects among stakeholders, including underserved communities. FACET is a science-based framework for transparently evaluating tradeoffs among complex environmental, economic, and social issues. It offers customizable support for policy and business decisions, resulting in risk-informed, socially equitable, and defensible evaluations for all stakeholders. Applications include:
- energy infrastructure siting (e.g., nuclear power, renewable energy, hydropower, and transmission)
- optimal operation of utility infrastructure
- urban development in fragile areas (e.g., shorelines, waterways)
- human behavior and resource interactions
- effects of climate change and extreme weather events
- socioeconomic activities and management of the natural environment over time
- public land use policy and land management decisions
This science-based insight has diverse applications across a broad range of environmental and social issues. FACET’s next-generation approach makes difficult decisions more defensible, transparent, and equitable.
Since its inception in 1965, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory’s interdisciplinary team of modelers, economists, lawyers, environmental scientists, and stakeholder engagement experts have led environmental and socioeconomic assessments. We specialize in developing data-driven solutions to complex issues.
Solutions for Next Generation Decision Making
FACET helps identify challenges and potential solutions, increasing situational awareness and ultimately improving stakeholder outcomes.
- Dynamic Baseline Challenge – Next generation modeling to describe and understand resource conditions, trends, and interactions spanning time and geographies.
- Multidisciplinary Predictive Modeling Challenge – Quantitative models to rapidly predict effects of natural changes and socioeconomic activities on resources.
- Uniform Valuation Challenge – Fair, balanced, and equitable solutions to environmental and socioeconomic issues. FACET offers a defensible valuation system for quantifying stakeholder costs and benefits, including economic, social, cultural, recreational, and ecosystem impacts.
- Multi-Stakeholder Tradeoffs Challenge – FACET’s tradeoff analyses leverage an understanding of resource relationships and values for optimal, equitable, and transparent decision-making.