Peter V. Sushko
Physical Sciences Division
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Peter Sushko received his BSc and MSc degrees in Physics from St. Petersburg State University, Russia, and his PhD in Physics from the University College London (UCL), UK. After completing his PhD in 2000, he held several research positions at the Department of Physics and Astronomy and the London Centre for Nanotechnology, UCL.
In 2008 he was awarded the Royal Society University Research Fellowship and joined academic staff at UCL; he was promoted to a Reader (Associate Professor with tenure) in 2012. In 2014 he joined PNNL's Physical Sciences Division as an Associate Division Director with responsibilities for materials science. His research is focused on understanding atomic-scale mechanisms of fundamental processes in complex materials systems and predicting the effects of disorder and defects on materials properties and functions.
- Discovery and design of new materials with novel structures, functions, and properties.
- Mechanisms of fundamental processes in complex materials, structure property relationships, mechanisms of defect formation, diffusion, aggregation and inter-conversion.
- Optical, electronic, and magnetic properties of oxides nano-particles, surfaces, interfaces and heterostructures; mechanisms of photo-induced phenomena.
- Chemical reactivity of excess-electron centers and electron-rich materials.
- Computational (ab initio) materials modeling.
Education and Credentials
- PhD in Physics, University College London, UK (2000).
- MSc in the Quantum Theory of the Solid State, St. Petersburg State University, Russia (1996).
- BSc in Physics, St. Petersburg State University, Russia (1994).
Affiliations and Professional Service
- American Chemical Society - member
- American Physical Society - member
- Institute of Physics - member
Awards and Recognitions
- Daiwa Adrian Prize 2013.
- Royal Society University Research Fellowship (2008-2013 and 2013-2016).
- Carey Foster Prize for the best postgraduate research in physics, Department of Physics and
- Astronomy, University College London (2000).
- Overseas Research Students Award, the Committee of Vice-Chancellors and Principals of the Universities of the UK (1997-1999).
- Mayor of St. Petersburg award for undergraduate students (1994 and 1995).
- International Soros Science Program Award (1994).
- McLeod JA, A Buling, EZ Kurmaev, PV Sushko, N Neumann, LD Finkelstein, SW Kim, H Hosono, and A Moewes. 2012. "Spectroscopic Characterization of a Multiband Complex Oxide: Insulating and Conducting Cement 12CaO·7Al2O3." Physical Review. B, Condensed Matter and Materials Physics 85(4):045204 - 045212. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.85.045204
- McLeod JA, EZ Kurmaev, PV Sushko, TD Boyko, IA Levitsky, and A Moewes. 2012. "Selective Response of Mesoporous Silicon to Adsorbants with Nitro Groups." Chemistry - A European Journal 18(10):2912-2922. doi:10.1002/chem.201102084
- Mckenna KP, D Koller, A Sternig, N Siedl, N Govind, PV Sushko, and OE Diwald. 2011. "Optical Properties of Nanocrystal Interfaces in Compressed MgO Nanopowders." ACS Nano 5(4):3003-3009. doi:10.1021/nn200062d
- Sushko ML, PV Sushko, IV Abarenkov, and AL Shluger. 2010. "QM/MM method for metal - organic interfaces." Journal of Computational Chemistry 31(16):2955-2966. doi:10.1002/jcc.21591
- Sushko PV, KP Mckenna, D Munoz Ramo, AL Shlyuger, A Sternig, S Stankic, M Muller, and OE Diwald. 2010. "Photoluminescence Properties of Alkaline-Earth Oxide Nanoparticles." ECS Transactions 28(3):67-80. doi:10.1149/1.3367212
- Shluger AL, KP Mckenna, PV Sushko, DM Ramo, and AV Kimmel. 2009. "Modelling of electron and hole trapping in oxides." Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering 17(8):084004 (23 pages). doi:10.1088/0965-0393/17/8/084004