Integrated Human-Earth SS Team
Gokul Iyer is a scientist at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory's Joint Global Change Research Institute. Dr. Iyer's research focuses on state-level modeling of the U.S. energy system within the context of global integrated assessment modeling. His research also investigates sustainable development issues at the intersections of energy, land, water and policy. Dr. Iyer's previous research has used integrated assessment models to examine the implications of near-term emission targets for long-term temperature change and energy system transformations, investment risks and technology diffusion in the energy sector and the long-term benefits of investments in technology.
- Integrated Assessment Modeling
- Energy system transformations
- Energy and climate policy
- Technology and Technological change
- Sustainable Development
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D., Environmental Policy, University of Maryland, USA.
- Master of Technology, Energy Systems Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay, India.
- Bachelor of Technology, Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology, Nagpur, India.
- Iyer GC, and JA Edmonds. 2017. "Emission scenarios: Explaining differences." Nature Climate Change 7:99-100. doi:10.1038/nclimate3200
- Aldy J, W Pizer, M Tavoni, L Reis, K Akimoto, GJ Blanford, C Carraro, LE Clarke, JA Edmonds, GC Iyer, HC McJeon, RG Richels, S Rose, and F Sano. 2016. "Economic Tools to Promote Transparency and Comparability in the Paris Agreement." Nature Climate Change 6:1000 - 1006. doi:10.1038/nclimate3106
- Iyer GC, LE Clarke, JA Edmonds, and N Hultman. 2016. "Do national-level policies to promote low-carbon technology deployment pay off for the investor countries?" Energy Policy 98:400–411. doi:10.1016/j.enpol.2016.08.017
- Fawcett A, GC Iyer, LE Clarke, JA Edmonds, N Hultman, HC McJeon, J Rogelj, R Schuler, J Alsalam, GR Asrar, J Creason, M Jeong, J McFarland, A Mundra, and W Shi. 2015. "Can Paris pledges avert severe climate change?" Science 350(6265):1168-1169 . doi:10.1126/science.aad5761
- Iyer GC, JA Edmonds, AA Fawcett, N Hultman, J Alsalam, GR Asrar, KV Calvin, LE Clarke, J Creason, M Jeong, J McFarland, A Mundra, PL Patel, W Shi, and HC McJeon. 2015. "The contribution of Paris to limit global warming to 2 °C." Environmental Research Letters 10(12):Article No. 125002. doi:10.1088/1748-9326/10/12/125002
- Iyer GC, LE Clarke, JA Edmonds, BP Flannery, N Hultman, HC McJeon, and D Victor. 2015. "Improved Representation of Investment Decisions in Assessments of CO2 Mitigation." Nature Climate Change 5(5):436-440. doi:10.1038/nclimate2553
- Iyer GC, LE Clarke, JA Edmonds, N Hultman, and HC McJeon. 2015. "Long-term payoffs of near-term low-carbon deployment policies." Energy Policy 86:493–505. doi:10.1016/j.enpol.2015.08.004
- Iyer GC, N Hultman, J Eom, HC McJeon, PL Patel, and LE Clarke. 2015. "Diffusion of low-carbon technologies and the feasibility of long-term climate targets." Technological Forecasting and Social Change 90(Part A):103-118. doi:10.1016/j.techfore.2013.08.025
- Iyer GC, N Hultman, S Fetter, and SH Kim. 2014. "Implications of Small Modular Reactors for Climate Change Mitigation." Energy Economics 45:144-154. doi:10.1016/j.eneco.2014.06.023