Atmospheric Measurement & Data Sciences
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Dr Feng's research interest focuses on using multi-platform remote sensing observations (e.g. radar and satellite) and high resolution model simulations to understand the structure, life cycle, processes and impact of convective cloud systems, to retrieve cloud microphysical properties and their radiative impact, to evaluate and improve high resolution model simulation of convective clouds.
- Analysis of radar/satellite observations and high resolution simulations of convective clouds
- Impact of climate change to mesoscale organized convection and extreme precipitation
- Interactions between convection and boundary layer through cold pools
- Environment and lifecycle of tropical and mid-latitude convection
- Remote sensing of clouds and cloud property retrievals
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D., Atmospheric Sciences, University of North Dakota
- M.S., Atmospheric Sciences, University of North Dakota
- B.S., Atmospheric Sciences, Sun Yat-Sen University, Guangzhou, China
Affiliations and Professional Service
- American Meteorological Society
- American Geophysical Union
Awards and Recognitions
- American Geophysical Union Editor's Citation for Excellence in Refereeing Award for Journal of Geophysical Research Atmospheres, 2013.
- Best Graduate Dissertations Award, Chinese-American Oceanic and Atmospheric Association (COAA), 2013.
- Peter V. Hobbs Prize, American Meteorological Society 13th Conference on Cloud Physics, 2009.
- Outstanding Graduate Student Overall, Department of Atmospheric Science, University of North Dakota, 2009.
- Outstanding Graduate Student Researcher, Department of Atmospheric Science, University of North Dakota, 2007.
- Sun Yet-Sen University Scholarship, 2000-2003.
- Hagos SM, Z Feng, CD Burleyson, C Zhao, M Martini, and LK Berg. 2016. "Moist process biases in simulations of the Madden-Julian Oscillation episodes observed during the AMIE/DYNAMO field campaign." Journal of Climate 29(3):1091-1107. doi:10.1175/JCLI-D-15-0349.1
- Stenz R, X Dong, B Xi, Z Feng, and RJ Kuligowski. 2016. "Improving Satellite Quantitative Precipitation Estimation Using GOES-Retrieved Cloud Optical Depth." Journal of Hydrometeorology 17(2):557-570. doi:10.1175/JHM-D-15-0057.1
- Feng Z, SM Hagos, A Rowe, CD Burleyson, M Martini, and S de Szoeke. 2015. "Mechanisms of Convective Cloud Organization by Cold Pools over Tropical Warm Ocean during the AMIE/DYNAMO Field Campaign." Journal of Advances in Modeling Earth Systems 7(2):357-381. doi:10.1002/2014MS000384
- Wang S, AH Sobel, AM Fridlind, Z Feng, JM Comstock, P Minnis, and ML Nordeen. 2015. "Simulations of cloud-radiation interaction using large-scale forcing derived from the CINDY/DYNAMO northern sounding array." Journal of Advances in Modeling Earth Systems 7(3):1472-1498. doi:10.1002/2015MS000461
- Feng Z, SA McFarlane, C Schumacher, S Ellis, JM Comstock, and N Bharadwaj. 2014. "Constructing a Merged Cloud-Precipitation Radar Dataset for Tropical Convective Clouds during the DYNAMO/AMIE Experiment at Addu Atoll." Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 31(5):1021-1042. doi:10.1175/JTECH-D-13-00132.1
- Deng M, P Kollias, Z Feng, C Zhang, CN Long, H Kalesse, A Chandra, V Kumar, and A Protat. 2014. "Stratiform and Convective Precipitation Observed by Multiple Radars during the DYNAMO/AMIE Experiment." Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology 53(11):2503-2523. doi:10.1175/JAMC-D-13-0311.1
- Hagos SM, Z Feng, CD Burleyson, KS Lim, CN Long, D Wu, and G Thompson. 2014. "Evaluation of convection-permitting model simulations of cloud populations associated with the Madden-Julian Oscillation using data collected during the AMIE/DYNAMO field campaign." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 119(21):12,052-12,068. doi:10.1002/2014JD022143
- Hagos SM, Z Feng, K Landu, and CN Long. 2014. "Advection, Moistening, and Shallow-to-deep Convection Transitions During the Initiation and Propagation of Madden-Julian Oscillation." Journal of Advances in Modeling Earth Systems 6(3):938-949. doi:10.1002/2014MS000335
- Hagos SM, Z Feng, SA McFarlane, and LYR Leung. 2013. "Environment and the Lifetime of Tropical Deep Convection in a Cloud-Permitting Regional Model Simulation." Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 70(8):2409-2425. doi:10.1175/JAS-D-12-0260.1
- Wu D, X Dong, B Xi, Z Feng, A Kennedy, G Mullendore, M Gilmore, and WK Tao. 2013. "Impacts of Microphysical Scheme on Convective and Stratiform Characteristics in Two High Precipitation Squall Line Events." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 118(19):11,119-11,135. doi:10.1002/jgrd.50798
- Feng Z, X Dong, B Xi, SA McFarlane, A Kennedy, B Lin, and P Minnis. 2012. "Life Cycle of Midlatitude Deep Convective Systems in a Lagrangian Framework." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 117:D23201. doi:10.1029/2012JD018362