Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
In the Institute for Integrated Catalysis at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Dr. Weber leads research activities in heterogeneous catalysis. Through more than 20 years of experience with leading academic institutions, international chemical companies, governmental agencies, and consulting firms he has assisted in: developing and deploying multiscale tools for understanding and exploiting catalytic processes; connecting business strategy and planning, by evaluating the feasibility and commercial potential of emerging technologies, quantified, through detailed techno-economic models; managing and directing applied research programs to accelerate the impact and value of R&D projects and portfolios in chemical processing, fuel processing, reactor engineering and catalysis; and explaining technology issues and trends to investors, management, and the public.
Affiliations and Professional Service
- Theme Manager, Spring, 2015 ACS National Meeting (Denver), 2014-2015
- Associate Editor, Energy & Fuels, 2009-present
- Editorial Board, Energy & Fuels, 2003-2009
- Chair, Gordon Research Conference on Catalysis, 2000
- Board of Editors,Journal of Catalysis, 1995-2000
- Associate Editor, Journal of Catalysis, 1994-1995
- Visiting Professor, Université Pierre et Marie Curie, 1996
- Poste Rouge, Institut de Recherche sur la Catalyse, 1987
Awards and Recognitions
- Dylan Hixon Teaching Prize,Yale College, 1995
- AIChE Outstanding Paper Award, 1996
- Weber RS, MV Olarte, and H Wang. 2015. "Modeling the Kinetics of Deactivation of Catalysts during the Upgrading of Bio-Oil." Energy and Fuels 29(1):273-277. doi:10.1021/ef502483t
- Schwenzer B, L Cosimbescu, VA Glezakou, AJ Karkamkar, Z Wang, and RS Weber. 2015. "Use of Solvatochromism to Assay Preferential Solvation of a Prototypic Catalytic Site." Topics in Catalysis 58(4-6):258-270. doi:10.1007/s11244-015-0367-z
- Yoon Y, RJ Rousseau, RS Weber, D Mei, and JA Lercher. 2014. "First-principles Study of Phenol Hydrogenation on Pt and Ni Catalysts in Aqueous Phase." Journal of the American Chemical Society 136(29):10287-10298. doi:10.1021/ja501592y
- Chase Z, JL Fulton, DM Camaioni, D Mei, M Balasubramanian, VT Pham, C Zhao, RS Weber, Y Wang, and JA Lercher. 2013. "State of Supported Pd during Catalysis in Water." Journal of Physical Chemistry C 117(34):17603-17612. doi:10.1021/jp404772p
- Weber RS. 2010. "Introduction to the Virtual Issue of Energy & Fuels on Biofuels." Energy Fuels 24(12):6221-6222. doi:10.1021/ef101391h
- Whitton NM and RS Weber. 2010. "Thermochemical Processing of Algal Biomass." Filed: May 7, 2010, US Pat. Appl. 2010-0282588
- Weber RS, M Marion, J Sinha, and B William. "Chemical Reactors." US Pat. 7,906,016.
- Weber RS. 2009. Comments on "Thermochemical Catalytic Liquefaction of the Marine Microalgae Duanaliella tertiolecta and Characterization of Bio-Oils" by Zou et al. Energy Fuels 23:6275-6276.
- Weber RS, JP Mello, Sriramulu, S., Bezaire, D. J., "Direct-Injection Gaseous Fuel Engine with Ignition Assist." US Pat. 7,077,115.
- Thijssen JHJS, CJ Read, and RS Weber. 2001. "Apparatus and Methods for Conversion of Hydrocarbon Feed Streams into Liquid Products." Filed January 22, 2001, US. Pat. Appl. 2001-0045375.
- Tanabe S, HE Davis Jr, D Wei, and RS Weber. 1996. "Normalization by Oxygen Uptake of the Rates of Oxidative Dehydrogenation of Methanol and Ethanol." Studies in Surface Science and Catalysis 101:337-344.
- Weber RS. 1995. "Effect of Local Structure on the UV-Visible Absorption Edges of Molybdenum Oxide Clusters and Supported Molybdenum Oxides." Journal of Catalysis 151:470-474.
- Weber RS. 1994. "Molecular Orbital Study of C-H Bond Breaking during the Oxidative Dehydrogenation of Methanol Catalyzed by Metal Oxide Surfaces." The Journal of Physial Chemistry 98:2999-3005.
- Sorensen CM and RS Weber. 1993. "Oxidative Dehydrogenation of Methanol Catalyzed by Samples Containing Well Defined Ensembles of Vanadium." Journal of Catalysis 142:1-17.