Atmospheric Chemistry & Meteorology
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
- Precipitation extremes
- Wind Energy
- Cloud physics and dynamics
- Aerosol-cloud interactions
- Air pollution and its impacts on local to global scales
- Remote sensing of the atmosphere
Education and Credentials
- PhD, Atmospheric Science, Georgia Institute of Technology
- M.S., Statistics, Georgia Institute of Technology
- M.S., Atmospheric Science, University of Wyoming
- B.S., Atmospheric Physics and Atmospheric Environment, Lanzhou University, China
Affiliations and Professional Service
- American Geophysical Union (AGU)
- American Meteorological Society (AMS)
- European Geosciences Union (EGU)
Awards and Recognitions
- Research Excellence Award, School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2008
- Women’s Forum Scholarship, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2005
- Helen Bishop Dunnewald International Student Scholarship, University of Wyoming, 2002
- Honor student, four years in a row during the undergraduate years, Lanzhou University
- Yang Q, LK Berg, MS Pekour, JD Fast, RK Newsom, M Stoelinga, and C Finley. 2013. "Evaluation of WRF predicted near hub-height winds and ramp events over a Pacific Northwest site with complex terrain." Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology 52(8): 1753-1763. doi:10.1175/JAMC-D-12-0267.1
- Saide P, SN Spak, G Carmichael, MA Mena-Carrasco, Q Yang, SG Howell, D Leon, JR Snider, AR Bandy, JL Collett, Jr, KB Benedict, S de Szoeke, L Hawkins, G Allen, I Crawford, J Crosier, and SR Springston. 2012. "Evaluating WRF-Chem aerosol indirect effects in Southeast Pacific marine stratocumulus during VOCALS-REx." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 12(6):3045-3064. doi:10.5194/acp-12-3045-2012
- Yang Q, WI Gustafson, Jr, JD Fast, H Wang, RC Easter, Jr, M Wang, SJ Ghan, LK Berg, LYR Leung, and H Morrison. 2012. "Impact of natural and anthropogenic aerosols on stratocumulus and precipitation in the Southeast Pacific: A regional modeling study using WRF-Chem." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 12(18):8777-8796. doi:10.5194/acp-12-8777-2012
- Yang Q, WI Gustafson, Jr, JD Fast, H Wang, RC Easter, Jr, H Morrison, YN Lee, EG Chapman, SN Spak, and MA Mena-Carrasco. 2011. "Assessing regional scale predictions of aerosols, marine stratocumulus, and their interactions during VOCALS-REx using WRF-Chem." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 11(23):11951-11975. doi:10.5194/acp-11-11951-2011
- Yang Q, Y Wang, C Zhao, Z Liu, WI Gustafson, Jr, and M Shao. 2011. "NOx Emission Reduction and its Effects on Ozone during the 2008 Olympic Games." Environmental Science & Technology 45(15):6404-6410. doi:10.1021/es200675v
Yang Q, DM Cunnold, Y Choi, Y Wang, H-J Wang, L Froidevaux, A Thompson, and P Bhartia. 2010. "A Study of Tropospheric Ozone Column Enhancements over North America using Satellite Data and a Global Chemical Model." Journal of Geophysical Research 115: Art. No. D08302. DOI:10.10.29/2009JD012616.
- Zhao C, Y Wang, Q Yang, R Fu, D Cunnold, and Y Choi. 2010. "The Impact of East Asian Summer Monsoon on the Air Quality over China: The View from Space." Journal of Geophysical Research 115: Art. No. D09301. DOI:10.1029/2009JD012745.
- Choi Y, Y Wang, Q Yang, D Cunnold, T Zeng, C Shim, M Luo, A Eldering, E Bucsela, and J Gleason. 2008. "Spring to Summer Northward Migration of High O3 over the Western North Atlantic." Geophysical Research Letters 35: Art. No. L04818. DOI:10.1029/2007GL032276.
- Yang Q, DM Cunnold, H-J Wang, L Froidevaux, H Claude, J Merrill, M Newchurch, and SJ Oltmans. 2007. "Mid-latitude Tropospheric ozone Columns Derived from the Aura Ozone Monitoring Instrument and Microwave Limb Sounder Measurements." Journal of Geophysical Research 112: Art. No. D20305. DOI:10.1029/2007JD008528.