Earth Systems Analysis & Modeling
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Dr. Yang is an expert on regional modeling with focuses on regional climate, aerosol-cloud interaction, air quality, and wind energy applications. Her current research addresses a wide range of cutting edge climate-related science questions related to the representation of organized convective systems in regional climate models, scale-dependency of precipitation extremes, hydrostatic limit of climate models, and aerosol transport and wet-removal processes in convective clouds. Her board research interest also includes atmospheric remote sensing and the application of statistical methods in the atmospheric sciences. She has contributed to the development and application of the chemistry version of Weather Research and Forecasting model.
- Precipitation extremes
- Wind Energy
- Cloud physics and dynamics
- Aerosol-cloud interactions
- Air pollution and its impacts on local to global scales
- Remote sensing of the atmosphere
Education and Credentials
- PhD, Atmospheric Science, Georgia Institute of Technology
- M.S., Statistics, Georgia Institute of Technology
- M.S., Atmospheric Science, University of Wyoming
- B.S., Atmospheric Physics and Atmospheric Environment, Lanzhou University, China
Affiliations and Professional Service
- American Geophysical Union (AGU)
- American Meteorological Society (AMS)
- European Geosciences Union (EGU)
Awards and Recognitions
- Outstanding Performance Award in recognition of exceptional contributions and commitment to the success of the Atmospheric Science & Global Change Division, FCSC, PNNL, 2015
- Outstanding Performance Award in recognition of the publication feature as cover article of the JGR: Atmosphere, FCSD, PNNL, 2015
- Research Excellence Award, School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2008
- Women's Forum Scholarship, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2005
- Helen Bishop Dunnewald International Student Scholarship, University of Wyoming, 2002
- Honor student, four years in a row during the undergraduate years, Lanzhou University
- Lu J, LYR Leung, Q Yang, G Chen, WD Collins, F Li, Z Hou, and X Feng. 2014. "The Robust Dynamical Contribution to Precipitation Extremes in Idealized Warming Simulations across Model Resolutions." Geophysical Research Letters 41(8):2971-2978. doi:10.1002/2014GL059532
- Yang Q, LYR Leung, S Rauscher, T Ringler, and M Taylor. 2014. "Atmospheric Moisture Budget and Spatial Resolution Dependence of Precipitation Extremes in Aquaplanet Simulations." Journal of Climate 27(10):3565-3581. doi:10.1175/JCLI-D-13-00468.1
- Fast JD, JD Allan, R Bahreini, JS Craven, L Emmons, RA Ferrare, PL Hayes, A Hodzic Roux, J Holloway, CA Hostetler, JL Jimenez, H Jonsson, S Liu, Y Liu, A Metcalf, AM Middlebrook, J Nowak, MS Pekour, A Perring, L Russell, A Sedlacek, JH Seinfeld, A Setyan, JE Shilling, MKB Shrivastava, S Springston, C Song, R Subramanian, JW Taylor, V Vinoj, Q Yang, RA Zaveri, and Q Zhang. 2014. "Modeling regional aerosol and aerosol precursor variability over California and its sensitivity to emissions and long-range transport during the 2010 CalNex and CARES campaigns." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 14(18):10013-10060. doi:10.5194/acp-14-10013-2014
- Martini M, WI Gustafson, Jr, Q Yang, and H Xiao. 2014. "Impact of Resolution on Simulation of Closed Mesoscale Cellular Convection Identified by Dynamically Guided Watershed Segmentation." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 119(22):12,674-12,688. doi:10.1002/2014JD021962
- Newsom RK, LK Berg, MS Pekour, JD Fast, Q Xu, P Zhang, Q Yang, WJ Shaw, and JE Flaherty. 2014. "Evaluation of Single-Doppler Radar Wind Retrievals in Flat and Complex Terrain." Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology 53(8):1920-1931. doi:10.1175/JAMC-D-13-0297.1
- Yang Q, LK Berg, MS Pekour, JD Fast, RK Newsom, M Stoelinga, and C Finley. 2013. "Evaluation of WRF predicted near hub-height winds and ramp events over a Pacific Northwest site with complex terrain." Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology 52(8): 1753-1763. doi:10.1175/JAMC-D-12-0267.1
- Saide P, SN Spak, G Carmichael, MA Mena-Carrasco, Q Yang, SG Howell, D Leon, JR Snider, AR Bandy, JL Collett, Jr, KB Benedict, S de Szoeke, L Hawkins, G Allen, I Crawford, J Crosier, and SR Springston. 2012. "Evaluating WRF-Chem aerosol indirect effects in Southeast Pacific marine stratocumulus during VOCALS-REx." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 12(6):3045-3064. doi:10.5194/acp-12-3045-2012
- Yang Q, WI Gustafson, Jr, JD Fast, H Wang, RC Easter, Jr, M Wang, SJ Ghan, LK Berg, LYR Leung, and H Morrison. 2012. "Impact of natural and anthropogenic aerosols on stratocumulus and precipitation in the Southeast Pacific: A regional modeling study using WRF-Chem." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 12(18):8777-8796. doi:10.5194/acp-12-8777-2012
- Yang Q, WI Gustafson, Jr, JD Fast, H Wang, RC Easter, Jr, H Morrison, YN Lee, EG Chapman, SN Spak, and MA Mena-Carrasco. 2011. "Assessing regional scale predictions of aerosols, marine stratocumulus, and their interactions during VOCALS-REx using WRF-Chem." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 11(23):11951-11975. doi:10.5194/acp-11-11951-2011
- Yang Q, Y Wang, C Zhao, Z Liu, WI Gustafson, Jr, and M Shao. 2011. "NOx Emission Reduction and its Effects on Ozone during the 2008 Olympic Games." Environmental Science & Technology 45(15):6404-6410. doi:10.1021/es200675v
Yang Q, DM Cunnold, Y Choi, Y Wang, H-J Wang, L Froidevaux, A Thompson, and P Bhartia. 2010. "A Study of Tropospheric Ozone Column Enhancements over North America using Satellite Data and a Global Chemical Model." Journal of Geophysical Research 115: Art. No. D08302. DOI:10.10.29/2009JD012616.
- Zhao C, Y Wang, Q Yang, R Fu, D Cunnold, and Y Choi. 2010. "The Impact of East Asian Summer Monsoon on the Air Quality over China: The View from Space." Journal of Geophysical Research 115: Art. No. D09301. DOI:10.1029/2009JD012745.
- Choi Y, Y Wang, Q Yang, D Cunnold, T Zeng, C Shim, M Luo, A Eldering, E Bucsela, and J Gleason. 2008. "Spring to Summer Northward Migration of High O3 over the Western North Atlantic." Geophysical Research Letters 35: Art. No. L04818. DOI:10.1029/2007GL032276.
- Yang Q, DM Cunnold, H-J Wang, L Froidevaux, H Claude, J Merrill, M Newchurch, and SJ Oltmans. 2007. "Mid-latitude Tropospheric ozone Columns Derived from the Aura Ozone Monitoring Instrument and Microwave Limb Sounder Measurements." Journal of Geophysical Research 112: Art. No. D20305. DOI:10.1029/2007JD008528.