Advanced Study & Development
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Dr. Wang's research falls within the disciplines of atmospheric aerosols, cloud physics and dynamics, boundary-layer meteorology, and climate change. He has extensive experience in modeling study of aerosol-cloud-precipitation-radiation interactions and dynamical feedbacks using large-eddy simulations (LES), and in observational study of aerosol effects on trade cumuli using airborne in-situ and remote sensing measurements. He is highly involved in the development and application of the Weather Research and Forecasting (WRF) model for studies in aerosol-cloud-precipitation interactions.
Dr. Wang's recent research focused on advancing our understanding of the atmospheric processes associated with precipitation and the formation of cloud cellular structures in marine stratocumulus. Currently, his research primarily focuses on improving the representation of aerosols and clouds in climate models, and also, based on his pioneering work on simulating the impact of ship emission on cloud dynamics and structures, he utilizes the model tools to explore whether, when and where to inject aerosols into marine stratocumulus clouds to increase cloud albedo, thereby increasing sunlight reflection and mitigating global warming.
- Cloud physics and dynamics
- Aerosol-cloud-precipitation-radiation interactions
- Cloud parameterizations and climate modeling
- Geoengineering marine stratocumulus clouds
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D. in Atmospheric Sciences, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- M.S. in Atmospheric Sciences, Lanzhou University, China
- B.S. in Atmospheric Sciences, Lanzhou University, China
Affiliations and Professional Service
- Member of American Meteorological Society (AMS)
- Member of the AMS Cloud Physics Committee
- Member of American Geophysical Union (AGU)
Awards and Recognitions
- 2010, Outstanding Performance Award, PNNL
- 2008, Best Research Poster award, the Department of Commerce Boulder Laboratories Diversity Council
- 2007, the CIRES/NOAA Visiting Fellowship
- 2007, the Gordon Research Conference: Radiation and Climate travel award
- 2002, the NCAR Advanced Study Program Summer Colloquium travel award
- 1999, Research Excellence award, Lanzhou University
- 1997, Baogang Fellowship, Lanzhou University
- 1995-1996, Academic Achievement Scholarship, Lanzhou University
- Qian Y, H Wang, R Zhang, MG Flanner, and PJ Rasch. 2014. "A Sensitivity Study on Modeling Black Carbon in Snow and its Radiative Forcing over the Arctic and Northern China." Environmental Research Letters 9(6):Article No. 064001. doi:10.1088/1748-9326/9/6/064001
- Vinoj V, PJ Rasch, H Wang, JH Yoon, PL Ma, K Landu, and B Singh. 2014. "Short-term modulation of Indian summer monsoon rainfall by West Asian dust." Nature Geoscience 7 :308-313. doi:10.1038/NGEO2107
- Xiao H, WI Gustafson, Jr, and H Wang. 2014. "Impact of subgrid-scale radiative heating variability on the stratocumulus-to-trade cumulus transition in climate models." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 119(7):4192-4203. doi:10.1002/2013JD020999
- Kazil J, G Feingold, H Wang, and T Yamaguchi. 2014. "On the Interaction between Marine Boundary Layer Cellular Cloudiness and Surface Heat Fluxes." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 14(1):61-79. doi:10.5194/acp-14-61-2014
- Kravitz BS, P Forster, A Jones, A Robock, K Alterskjaer, O Boucher, A Jenkins, H Korhonen, JE Kristjansson, HO Muri, U Niemeier, AI Partanen, PJ Rasch, H Wang, and S Watanabe. 2013. "Sea Spray Geoengineering Experiments in the Geoengineering Model Intercomparison Project (GeoMIP): Experimental Design and Preliminary Results." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 118(19):11,175-11,186. doi:10.1002/jgrd.50856
- Ma PL, PJ Rasch, H Wang, K Zhang, RC Easter, Jr, S Tilmes, JD Fast, X Liu, JH Yoon, and JF Lamarque. 2013. "The Role of Circulation Features on Black Carbon Transport into the Arctic in the Community Atmosphere Model Version 5 (CAM5)." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 118(10):4657-4669. doi:10.1002/jgrd.50411
- Wang H, RC Easter, Jr, PJ Rasch, M Wang, X Liu, SJ Ghan, Y Qian, JH Yoon, PL Ma, and V Vinoj. 2013. "Sensitivity of Remote Aerosol Distributions to Representation of Cloud-Aerosol Interactions in a Global Climate Model." Geoscientific Model Development 6(3):765-782. doi:10.5194/gmd-6-765-2013
- Yang B, Y Qian, G Lin, LYR Leung, PJ Rasch, GJ Zhang, SA McFarlane, C Zhao, Y Zhang, H Wang, M Wang, and X Liu. 2013. "Uncertainty Quantification and Parameter Tuning in the CAM5 Zhang-McFarlane Convection Scheme and Impact of Improved Convection on the Global Circulation and Climate." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 118(2):395-415. doi:10.1029/2012JD018213
- Zhao C, X Liu, Y Qian, JH Yoon, Z Hou, G Lin, SA McFarlane, H Wang, B Yang, PL Ma, H Yan, and J Bao. 2013. "A Sensitivity Study of Radiative Fluxes at the Top of Atmosphere to Cloud-Microphysics and Aerosol Parameters in the Community Atmosphere Model CAM5." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 13:10969-10987. doi:10.5194/acp-13-10969-2013
- Ganguly D, PJ Rasch, H Wang, and JH Yoon. 2012. "Climate response of the South Asian monsoon system to anthropogenic aerosols." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 117:Article No. D13209. doi:10.1029/2012JD017508
- Ganguly D, PJ Rasch, H Wang, and JH Yoon. 2012. "Fast and Slow Responses of the South Asian Monsoon System to Anthropogenic Aerosols." Geophysical Research Letters 39:Article No. L18804. doi:10.1029/2012GL053043
- Latham J, K Bower, T Choularton, H Coe, P Connolly, G Cooper, T Craft, J Foster, A Gadian, L Galbraith, H Iacovides, D Johnston, B Launder, B Leslie, J Meyer, A Neukermans, B Ormond, B Parkes, PJ Rasch, J Rush, S Salter, T Stevenson, H Wang, Q Wang, and R Wood. 2012. "Marine Cloud Brightening." Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series B, Biological Sciences 370(10.1098/rsta.2012.0086):4217-4262. doi:10.1098/rsta.2012.0086
- Qian Y, CN Long, H Wang, JM Comstock, SA McFarlane, and S Xie. 2012. "Evaluation of cloud fraction and its radiative effect simulated by IPCC AR4 global models against ARM surface observations." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 12(4):1785-1810. doi:10.5194/acp-12-1785-2012
- Rosenfeld D, H Wang, and PJ Rasch. 2012. "The Roles of Cloud Drop Effective Radius and LWP in Determining Rain Properties in Marine Stratocumulus." Geophysical Research Letters 39:Article No. L13801. doi:10.1029/2012GL052028
- Yang Q, WI Gustafson, Jr, JD Fast, H Wang, RC Easter, Jr, M Wang, SJ Ghan, LK Berg, LYR Leung, and H Morrison. 2012. "Impact of natural and anthropogenic aerosols on stratocumulus and precipitation in the Southeast Pacific: A regional modeling study using WRF-Chem." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 12(18):8777-8796. doi:10.5194/acp-12-8777-2012
- Wang H, PJ Rasch, and G Feingold. 2011. "Manipulating marine stratocumulus cloud amount and albedo: a process-modeling study of aerosol-cloud-precipitation interactions in response to injection of cloud condensation nuclei." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 11(9):4237-4249. doi:10.5194/acp-11-4237-2011
- Chen YC, L Xue, ZJ Lebo, H Wang, RM Rasmussen, and JH Seinfeld. 2011. "A Comprehensive Numerical Study of Aerosol-Cloud-Precipitation Interactions in Marine Stratocumulus." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 11(18):9749-9769. doi:10.5194/acp-11-9749-2011
- Kazil J, H Wang, G Feingold, AD Clarke, J Snider, and AR Bandy. 2011. "Modeling chemical and aerosol processes in the transition from closed to open cells during VOCALS-REx." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 11(15):7491-7514. doi:10.5194/acp-11-7491-2011
- Yang Q, WI Gustafson, Jr, JD Fast, H Wang, RC Easter, Jr, H Morrison, YN Lee, EG Chapman, SN Spak, and MA Mena-Carrasco. 2011. "Assessing regional scale predictions of aerosols, marine stratocumulus, and their interactions during VOCALS-REx using WRF-Chem." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 11(23):11951-11975. doi:10.5194/acp-11-11951-2011
- Wang H, G Feingold, R Wood, and J Kazil. 2010. "Modelling microphysical and meteorological controls on precipitation and cloud cellular structures in Southeast Pacific stratocumulus." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 10(13):6347-6362. doi:10.5194/acp-10-6347-2010
- Feingold G, I Koren, H Wang, H Xue, and WA Brewer. 2010. "Precipitation-Generated Oscillations in Open Cellular Cloud Fields ." Nature 466(7308):849-852. doi:10.1038/nature09314
Wang, H., G. Feingold, R. Wood, and J. Kazil, 2010: Modeling microphysical and meteorological controls on precipitation and cloud cellular structures in Southeast Pacific stratocumulus. Atmos. Chem. Phys., 10, 6347-6362, doi:10.5194/acp-10-6347-2010.
Feingold, G., I. Koren, H. Wang, H. Xue, and W. A. Brewer, 2010: Precipitation-generated oscillations in open cellular cloud fields, Nature, 466, 849-852. doi:10.1038/nature09314.
- Wang, H., and G. Feingold, 2009: Modeling open cellular structures and drizzle in marine stratocumulus. Part I: Impact of drizzle on the formation and evolution of open cells. J. Atmos. Sci., 66, 3237-3256.
- Wang, H., and G. Feingold, 2009: Modeling open cellular structures and drizzle in marine stratocumulus. Part II: The microphysics and dynamics of the boundary region between open and closed cells. J. Atmos. Sci., 66, 3257-3275.
- Wang, H., W. C. Skamarock, and G. Feingold, 2009: Evaluation of scalar advection schemes in the Advanced Research WRF model using large-eddy simulations of aerosol-cloud interactions. Mon. Wea. Rev., 137, 2547-2558.
- Wang, H., and G. M. McFarquhar, 2008: Large-eddy simulations of the diurnal cycle of shallow convection and cloudiness over the tropical Indian Ocean. Quart. J. Roy. Meteor. Soc., 134, 643-661.
- Wang, H., and G. M. McFarquhar, 2008: Modeling aerosol effects on shallow cumulus convection under various meteorological conditions observed over the Indian Ocean and implications for development of mass-flux parameterizations for climate models. J. Geophys. Res., 113, D20201, doi:10.1029/2008JD009914.
- McFarquhar, G. M., and H. Wang, 2006: Effects of aerosols on trade wind cumuli over the Indian Ocean: model simulations. Quart. J. Roy. Meteor. Soc., 132, 821-843.
- McFarquhar, G. M., S. Platnick, L. Di Girolamo, H. Wang, G. Wind, and G. Zhao, 2004: Tradewind cumuli statistics in clean and polluted air over the Indian Ocean from in situ and remote sensing measurements. Geophys. Res. Lett., 31, L21105, doi:10.1029/2004GL020412.