Earth Systems Analysis & Modeling
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Dr. Chun Zhao joined the Climate Physics group of PNNL in 2009 with his Ph.D. degree in Atmospheric Science from Georgia Institute of Technology. Dr. Zhao has extensive experience on development and application of regional and global models to investigate challenging issues in Atmospheric Science such as modeling atmospheric aerosols and their direct and indirect effects on climate and hydrological cycle and understanding interactions between air pollutants and climate change. He has been highly involved in the development and application of the WRF-Chem model for studies in aerosol-cloud-precipitation interactions. Recently, Dr. Zhao is active in using the WRF-Chem model to advance our understanding of land and atmospheric processes associated with dust modeling. His research focuses on improving model treatments of dust aerosol and understanding dust climatic impact and its modeling uncertainties. Other research by Dr. Zhao has focused on studying uncertainties in simulating radiative forcing and hydrological cycle using global and regional climate models.
Before joining PNNL, Dr. Zhao was a research assistant at Georgia Institute of Technology. He significantly contributed to the development of a regional chemical transport model (REAM) coupled with the U.S. weather forecast model (WRF), which has been widely used for various researches about atmospheric environment science. In addition, he also applied the WRF-REAM model with various in-situ and satellite observations to understand fundamental air quality issues over North America and East Asia.
- Modeling of atmospheric aerosols and their direct and indirect effects on climate
- Modeling of atmospheric chemistry and transport processes
- Modeling across scales
- Interaction between air pollution and climate change
- Interaction between land and atmosphere
- hydrological cycle
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D., Atmospheric Science, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2009
- M.S., Atmospheric Science, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2007
- B.S., Atmospheric Physics, University of Science and Technology of China, 2005
- B.A., Management, University of Science and Technology of China, 2005
Affiliations and Professional Service
- American Geophysical Union, Member since 2007
- American Meteorological Society, Member since 2010
- European Geosciences Union, Member since 2010
- American Association for Aerosol Research, Member since 2011
Awards and Recognitions
- Exceptional Contribution Program Award, Pacific Northwest National Lab, 2014
- Outstanding Performance Award, Pacific Northwest National Lab, 2014
- Glen Cass Award, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2009
- Outstanding Student Scholarship, University of Science and Technology of China, 2002-2005
- Lim KS, J Fan, LYR Leung, PL Ma, B Singh, C Zhao, Y Zhang, G Zhang, and X Song. 2014. "Investigation of Aerosol Indirect Effects using a Cumulus Microphysics Parameterization in a Regional Climate Model." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 119(2):906-926. doi:10.1002/2013JD020958
- Wan H, PJ Rasch, K Zhang, Y Qian, H Yan, and C Zhao. 2014. "Short ensembles: An Efficient Method for Discerning Climate-relevant Sensitivities in Atmospheric General Circulation Models." Geoscientific Model Development 7(5):1961-1977. doi:10.5194/gmd-7-1961-2014
- Gao Y, C Zhao, X Liu, M Zhang, and LYR Leung. 2014. "WRF-Chem Simulations of Aerosols and Anthropogenic Aerosol Radiative Forcing in East Asia." Atmospheric Environment 92:250-266. doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2014.04.038
- Guo Z, M Wang, Y Qian, VE Larson, SJ Ghan, M Ovchinnikov, P Bogenschutz, C Zhao, G Lin, and T Zhou. 2014. "A Sensitivity Analysis of Cloud Properties to CLUBB Parameters in the Single-Column Community Atmosphere Model (SCAM5)." Journal of Advances in Modeling Earth Systems 6(3):829-858. doi:10.1002/2014MS000315
- Kulkarni GR, CN Sanders, K Zhang, X Liu, and C Zhao. 2014. "Ice Nucleation of Bare and Sulfuric Acid-coated Mineral Dust Particles and Implication for Cloud Properties." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 119(16):9993-10011. doi:10.1002/2014JD021567
- Lin CY, C Zhao, X Liu, NH Lin, and WN Chen. 2014. "Modelling of long-range transport of Southeast Asia biomass-burning aerosols to Taiwan and their radiative forcings over East Asia." Tellus Series B, Chemical and Physical Meteorology 66:Article No. 23733. doi:10.3402/tellusb.v66.23733
- Liu Z, RP Bambha, JP Pinto, T Zeng, J Boylan, M Huang, H Lei, C Zhao, S Liu, J Mao, CR Schwalm, X Shi, Y Wei, and HA Michelsen. 2014. "Toward Verifying Fossil Fuel CO2 Emissions with the CMAQ Model: Motivation, Model Description and Initial Simulation." Journal of the Air and Waste Management Association 64(4):419-435. doi:10.1080/10962247.2013.816642
- Yu S, R Mathur, J Pleim, D Wong, R Gilliam, K Alapaty, C Zhao, and X Liu. 2014. "Aerosol Indirect Effect on the Grid-scale Clouds in the Two-way Coupled WRF-CMAQ: Model Description, Development, Evaluation and Regional Analysis." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 14(20):11247-11285. doi:10.5194/acp-14-11247-2014
- Zhao C, Z Hu, Y Qian, LYR Leung, J Huang, M Huang, J Jin, MG Flanner, R Zhang, H Wang, H Yan, Z Lu, and DG Streets. 2014. "Simulating Black Carbon and Dust and their Radiative Forcing in Seasonal Snow: A Case Study over North China with Field Campaign Measurements." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 14(20):11475-11491. doi:10.5194/acp-14-11475-2014
- Zhao C, LYR Leung, RC Easter, Jr, J Hand, and J Avise. 2013. "Characterization of Speciated Aerosol Direct Radiative Forcing Over California." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 118(5):2372-2388. doi:10.1029/2012JD018364
- Chen S, J Huang, C Zhao, Y Qian, LYR Leung, and B Yang. 2013. "Modeling the Transport and Radiative Forcing of Taklimakan Dust over the Tibetan Plateau: A case study in the summer of 2006." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 118(2):797-812.
- Kalenderski S, G Stenchikov, and C Zhao. 2013. "Modeling a Typical Winter-time Dust Event over the Arabian Peninsula and the Red Sea." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 13(4):1999-2014. doi:10.5194/acp-13-1999-2013
- Xu Y, R Bahadur, C Zhao, and LYR Leung. 2013. "Estimating the Radiative Forcing of Carbonaceous Aerosols over California based on Satellite and Ground Observations." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 118(19):11,148-11,160. doi:10.1002/jgrd.50835
- Yang B, Y Qian, G Lin, LYR Leung, PJ Rasch, GJ Zhang, SA McFarlane, C Zhao, Y Zhang, H Wang, M Wang, and X Liu. 2013. "Uncertainty Quantification and Parameter Tuning in the CAM5 Zhang-McFarlane Convection Scheme and Impact of Improved Convection on the Global Circulation and Climate." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 118(2):395-415. doi:10.1029/2012JD018213
- Zhang L, JF Kok, D Henze, Q Li, and C Zhao. 2013. "Improving Simulations of Fine Dust Surface Concentrations over the Western United States by Optimizing the Particle Size Distribution." Geophysical Research Letters 40(12):3270-3275. doi:10.1002/grl.50591
- Zhao C, S Chen, LYR Leung, Y Qian, J Kok, RA Zaveri, and J Huang. 2013. "Uncertainty in Modeling Dust Mass Balance and Radiative Forcing from Size Parameterization." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 13:10733-10753. doi:10.5194/acp-13-10733-2013
- Zhao C, X Liu, Y Qian, JH Yoon, Z Hou, G Lin, SA McFarlane, H Wang, B Yang, PL Ma, H Yan, and J Bao. 2013. "A Sensitivity Study of Radiative Fluxes at the Top of Atmosphere to Cloud-Microphysics and Aerosol Parameters in the Community Atmosphere Model CAM5." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 13:10969-10987. doi:10.5194/acp-13-10969-2013
- Gao Y, M Zhang, X Liu, and C Zhao. 2012. "Model analysis of the anthropogenic aerosol effect on clouds over East Asia." Atmospheric and Oceanic Science Letters, 5(1):1-7.
- Liu Z, Y Wang, D Gu, C Zhao, LG Huey, R Stickel, J Liao, M Shao, T Zhu, L Zeng, A Amoroso, F Costabile, CC Chang, and SC Liu. 2012. "Summertime photochemistry during CAREBeijing-2007: ROx budgets and O3 formation." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 12(16):7737-7752. doi:10.5194/acp-12-7737-2012
- Zhao C, X Liu, and LYR Leung. 2012. "Impact of the Desert Dust on the Summer Monsoon System over Southwestern North America ." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 12(8):3717-3731. doi:10.5194/acp-12-3717-2012
- Gao Y, X Liu, C Zhao, and M Zhang. 2011. "Emission Controls Versus Meteorological Conditions in Determining Aerosol Concentrations in Beijing during the 2008 Olympic Games." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 11(23):12437-12451. doi:10.5194/acp-11-12437-2011
- Yang Q, Y Wang, C Zhao, Z Liu, WI Gustafson, Jr, and M Shao. 2011. "NOx Emission Reduction and its Effects on Ozone during the 2008 Olympic Games." Environmental Science & Technology 45(15):6404-6410. doi:10.1021/es200675v
- Zhao C, X Liu, LYR Leung, and SM Hagos. 2011. "Radiative impact of mineral dust on monsoon precipitation variability over West Africa ." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 11(5):1879-1893. doi:10.5194/acp-11-1879-2011
- Zhao C, Y Wang, Q Yang, R Fu, D Cunnold, and Y Choi. 2010. "Impact of East Asian Summer Monsoon on the Air Quality over China: View from space." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 115(D09301):, doi:10.1029/2009JD012745
- Liu Z, Y Wang, D Gu, C Zhao, LG Huey, R Stickel, J Liao, M Shao, T Zhu, L Zeng, SC Liu, CC Chang, A Amoroso, and F Costabile. 2010. "Evidence of Reactive Aromatics As a Major Source of Peroxy Acetyl Nitrate over China." Environmental Science & Technology 44(18):7017-22. doi:10.1021/es1007966
- Zhao C, X Liu, LYR Leung, B Johnson, SA McFarlane, WI Gustafson, Jr, JD Fast, and RC Easter, Jr. 2010. "The spatial distribution of mineral dust and its shortwave radiative forcing over North Africa: Modeling sensitivities to dust emissions and aerosol size treatments ." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 10(18):8821-8838. doi:10.5194/acp-10-8821-2010
- Zhao C and Y Wang. 2009. "Assimilated Inversion of NOx Emissions over East Asia Using OMI NO2 Column Measurements." Geophysical Research Letters 36:L06805, doi:10.1029/2008GL037123.
- Zhao C, Y Wang, and T Zeng . 2009 . "East China Plains: A 'Basin' of Ozone Pollution." Environmental Science & Technology 43(6): 1911-1915.
- Zhao C, Y.Wang, T Zeng, and Y Choi. 2009. "Impact of Convective Transport and Lightning NOx Production over North America: Dependence on Cumulus Parameterizations." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 9:2289-2317.