Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Carina is a senior software architect in the Computational Sciences and Mathematics Division at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL).
Carina has been at PNNL for the past eight years, specializing in Enterprise Java (J2EE) software architecture and design. With prior experience in chemical engineering, she is able to help domain scientists achieve their software development goals. One of Carina’s principal strengths is assimilating new technologies. She uses this skill to better compare/contrast options when making architectural decisions, to better design integration architectures, to reduce redundant software, and to improve quality and productivity.
Currently, Carina is the PNNL lead architect for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Science and Technology Biodefense Knowledge Center (BKC) project. The project involves the development of an extensible analytical software environment for integrating suites of domain-specific analysis tools and heterogeneous data sources. This software has attracted interest from several organizations within the intelligence community resulting in five pilot deployments and ongoing discussions for several additional opportunities within the last year.
- Enterprise applications and distributed architectures
- Software design patterns and architectural frameworks
- Enterprise content management and process automation
Education and Credentials
- B.S., Computer Science, Washington State University, 2000, summa cum laude.
- Course work in Chemical Engineering, University of Washington, 1990 - 1993, 3.8 GPA
- Kleese van Dam K, CS Lansing, TO Elsethagen, JE Hathaway, ZC Guillen, JA Dirks, DC Skorski, EG Stephan, WJ Gorrissen, I Gorton, and Y Liu. 2014. "Nationwide Buildings Energy Research enabled through an integrated Data Intensive Scientific Workflow and Advanced Analysis Environment." Building Simulation 7(4):335-343. doi:10.1007/s12273-014-0171-x
- Gorton I, Y Liu, CS Lansing, TO Elsethagen, and K Kleese van Dam. 2013. "Build Less Code, Deliver More Science: An Experience Report on Composing Scientific Environments using Component-based and Commodity Software Platforms ." In Proceedings of the 16th International ACM SIGSOFT Symposium on Component-Based Software Engineering (CBSE 2013), June 17-21, 2013, Vancouver, Canada, pp. 159-168. ACM, New York, NY.
- Kleese van Dam K, JP Carson, AL Corrigan, DR Einstein, ZC Guillen, BS Heath, AP Kuprat, IT Lanekoff, CS Lansing, J Laskin, D Li, Y Liu, MJ Marshall, EA Miller, G Orr, P Pinheiro da Silva, S Ryu, CJ Szymanski, and M Thomas. 2013. "Velo and REXAN - Integrated Data Management and High Speed Analysis for Experimental Facilities." In Proceedings of the IEEE 8th International Conference on EScience, October 8-12, 2012, Chicago, Illinois. IEEE Press, Los Alamitos, CA. doi: 10.1109/eScience.2012.6404463
- Gorton I, C Sivaramakrishnan, GD Black, SK White, S Purohit, CS Lansing, MC Madison, KL Schuchardt, and Y Liu. 2012. "Velo: A Knowledge Management Framework for Modeling and Simulation." Computing in Science & Engineering 14(2):12-23. doi:10.1109/MCSE.2011.116
- Lansing CS, Y Liu, J Yin, AL Corrigan, ZC Guillen, K Kleese van Dam, and I Gorton. 2011. "Designing the Cloud-based DOE Systems Biology Knowledgebase." In IEEE International Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Processing Workshops and Phd Forum (IPDPSW 2011), May 16-20, 2011, Anchorage, Alaska, pp. 1062 - 1071 . IEEE, Piscataway, NJ. doi:10.1109/IPDPS.2011.261
- Gdanitz J, GD Black, CS Lansing, BJ Palmer, and EF Schuchart. 2005. " Registering the Amica Electronic Structure Code in the Extensible Computational Chemistry Environment." Journal of Computational Chemistry 26(3):214-225.
- Myers JD, TC Allison, SJ Bittner, BT Didier, M Frenklach, WH Green, YL Ho, J Hewson, WS Koegler, CS Lansing, D Leahy, M Lee, R McCoy, M Minkoff, S Nijsure, G von Laszewski, D Montoya, L Oluwole, CM Pancerella, R Pinzon, W Pitz, LA Rahn, B Ruscic, KL Schuchardt, EG Stephan, A Wagner, TL Windus, and C Yang. 2005. "A Collaborative Informatics Infrastructure for Multi-scale Science." Cluster Computing 8(4):243-253.
- Chin G, Jr, and CS Lansing. 2004. "Capturing and Supporting Contexts for Scientific Data Sharing via the Biological Sciences Collaboratory." In Proceedings of the 2004 ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work, pp. 409-418. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), New York, NY.
- Chin G, Jr, and CS Lansing. 2004. "The Biological Sciences Collaboratory." In Proceedings of the International Conference on Mathematics and Engineering Techniques in Medicine and Biological Sciences, METMBS '04, June 21-24, 2004, Las Vegas, USA, pp. 91-97. CSREA Press, Bogart, GA.
- Myers JD, TC Allison, S Bittner, BT Didier, M Frenklach, WH Green, YL Ho, J Hewson, WS Koegler, CS Lansing, D Leahy, M Lee, R McCoy, M Minkoff, S Nijsure, G von Laszewski, DW Montoya, CM Pancerella, R Pinzon, W Pitz, L Rahn, B Ruscic, KL Schuchardt, EG Stephan, AF Wagner, TL Windus, and C Yang. 2004. "A Collaborative Informatics Infrastructure for Multi-scale Science." In Proceedings of the Second International Workshop on Challenges of Large Applications in Distributed Environments. CLADE 2004, Honolulu Hawaii, pp. 24-33. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc., Piscataway, NJ.
- Myers JD, CM Pancerella, CS Lansing, KL Schuchardt, and BT Didier. 2003. "Multi-scale Science: Supporting Emerging Practice with Semantically Derived Provenance ." In Proceedings of the Workshop on Semantic Web Technologies for Searching and Retrieving Scientific Data , ed. Ashish, N., Goble, C. Sun SITE Central Europe (CEUR), Aachen, Germany.
- Pancerella CM, J Hewson, WS Koegler, D Leahy, M Lee, L Rahn, C Yang, JD Myers, BT Didier, R McCoy, KL Schuchardt, EG Stephan, TL Windus, K Amin, S Bittner, CS Lansing, M Minkoff, S Nijsure, G von Laszewski, R Pinzon, B Ruscic, AF Wagner, B Wang, W Pitz, YL Ho, DW Montoya, L Xu, TC Allison, WH Green, and M Frenklach. 2003. "Metadata in the Collaboratory for Multi-Scale Chemical Science ." In DC-2003: Proceedings of the 2003 International Conference on Dublin Core and Metadata Applications: Supporting Communities of Discourse and Practice - Metadata Research & Applications, p. Article No. 13. Dublin Core Metadata Initiative (DCMI), Dublin, OH.
- K Zhang, C Susiene, M Garry, MG Norman, and CM Velicer. 1996. "Comparison of Similarities and Differences Among Risk Assessment and Risk-Based Cleanup Goals Guidances." Proceedings of the 1996 Society for Risk Analysis Annual Meeting.
- Velicer CM, M Norman, and C Susiene. 1995. "Risk-Based Corrective Action for Chemical Release Sites." Proceedings of the 1995 Society for Risk Analysis Annual Meeting.
- Johnson DA, C Susiene, and K Johnson. 1994. "Sensitivity Analysis of Screening-Level Vapor Intrusion Models for Residential Basements Overlying Contaminated Groundwater." Proceedings of the 1994 Society for Risk Analysis Annual Meeting.