Laboratory Fellow, TL
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
- Advanced high strength steels;
- Solid Oxide Fuel Cells;
- Multi-scale, multi-physics and multi-phase simulations;
- Advanced nuclear power systems;
- Automotive forming and joining technologies;
Education and Credentials
- 1995 Ph.D. Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- 1994 M.S.E. Mechanical Engineering, the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- 1993 M.S.E. Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- 1990 B.S.E. Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China
Affiliations and Professional Service
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- American Welding Society
- American Society of Metals
- American Ceramic Society
- Society of Women Engineers (former member)
Awards and Recognitions
- University of Michigan Alumni Society Merit Award, Ann Arbor, MI. Sept. 2009.
- Laboratory Director’s Award for Exceptional Engineering Achievement, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, 2008.
- Editorial Board Member, ISRN Mechanical Engineering.
- Associate Editor, ASME Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering.
- Associate Editor, American Welding Society Welding Journal.
- Certificate of Appreciation from DOE Fossil Energy, Mickey Leland Energy Fellowship Program, signed by James Slutz, Acting Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary, Office of Fossil Energy, 2008.
- Outstanding Performance Award, Fundamental and Computational Sciences Directorate, PNNL, 2008.
- 2007 SEDP Mentor Appreciation Plaque, PNNL Science and Technology Leadership.
- Certificate of Appreciation from DOE Fossil Energy, Mickey Leland Energy Fellowship Program, signed by Thomas Shope, Acting Assistant Secretary, Office of Fossil Energy, 2007.
- Best Paper Award, International Microelectronics And Packaging Society 40th International Symposium on Microelectronics, San Jose, CA. 2007.
- Outstanding Performance Award, National Security Directorate, PNNL, 2006.
- Invited Speaker at Gordon Research Conference on Solid State Studies in Ceramics, Kimball Union Academy, Meriden, NH. August, 2001.
- Rackham Pre-doctoral Fellowship, July 1994-April 1995, Horace H. Rackham School of Graduate Studies, the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- Barbour Scholarship for Oriental Women, Sept. 1993 -April 1994, Rackham School of Graduate Studies, the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- People’s Scholarship, 1986-1990, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China.
- Excellent High School Senior Award (one per province) by Shanghai Jiao Tong University, 1986, Shenyang, China.
- Liu WN, X Sun, R Ruokolainen, and X Gayden. 2007. "Investigation of Forming Performance of Laminated Steel Sheets Using Finite Element Analyses." In NUMIFORM '07; Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Numerical Methods in Industrial Forming Processes. AIP Conference Proceedings, vol. 908, pp. 895-900. American Institute of Physics, Melville, PA. doi:10.1063/1.2740924
- Sun X, EV Stephens, and DR Herling. 2004. "Static and Fatigue Strength Evaluations for Bolted Composite/Steel Joints for Heavy Vehicle Chassis Components." In 4th Annual SPE Automotive Composites Conference, Commercial Transport Session, Paper No. 3, pp. 1-14. Society of Plastics Engineers, Brookfield, CT.