High Performance Computing
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Daily collaborates with application domain scientists to identify and develop key capabilities. His primary responsibility is the development of high performance computing applications utilizing the Global Arrays Toolkit (GA), of which he is also a key developer. Daily is known for his contributions to GA, specifically as the lead for Python support within GA. He is also known for the Parallel Analysis of Geoscience Data (pagoda) suite of climate analysis tools.
- High Performance Computing
- Python Programming Language
- Data-intensive Computing
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D. Computer Science, Washington State University, 2015
- M.S. Computer Science, Washington State University, 2009
- B.S. Computer Science, Washington State University, 2006
Awards and Recognitions
- PNNL Outstanding Performance Award 2010, 2013
- Daily JA. 2015. Scalable Parallel Methods for Analyzing Metagenomics Data at Extreme Scale. PNNL-24266, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Daily JA, A Kalyanaraman, S Krishnamoorthy, and A Vishnu. 2015. "A Work Stealing Based Approach for Enabling Scalable Optimal Sequence Homology Detection." Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing 79-80:132-142. doi:10.1016/j.jpdc.2014.08.009
- Tallent NR, A Vishnu, H van Dam, JA Daily, DJ Kerbyson, and A Hoisie. 2015. "Diagnosing the Causes and Severity of One-sided Message Contention." In 20th ACM SIGPLAN Symposium on Principles and Practice of Parallel Programming (PPoPP '15), February 7-11, 2015, San Francisco, California, pp. 130-139. Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY. doi:10.1145/2688500.2688516
- Wood LS, JA Daily, MJ Henry, BJ Palmer, KL Schuchardt, DA Dazlich, RP Heikes, and D Randall. 2015. "A Global Climate Model Agent for High Spatial and Temporal Resolution Data." International Journal of High Performance Computing Applications 29(1):107-116. doi:10.1177/1094342013518808
- Ciraci S, JA Daily, JC Fuller, AR Fisher, LD Marinovici, and K Agarwal. 2014. "FNCS: A Framework for Power System and Communication Networks Co-Simulation." In DEVS 2014: Proceedings of the Symposium on Theory of Modeling & Simulation, April 13-16, 2014, Tampa, Florida, p. Article No. 36. Society for Computer Simulation International, San Diego, CA.
- Ciraci S, JA Daily, K Agarwal, JC Fuller, LD Marinovici, and AR Fisher. 2014. "Synchronization Algorithms for Co-Simulation of Power Grid and Communication Networks." In IEEE 22nd International Symposium on Modeling Analysis and Simulation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems (MASCOTS 2014), September 9-11, 2014, Paris, France, pp. 355-364. IEEE, Piscataway, NJ. doi:10.1109/MASCOTS.2014.51
- Ciraci S, JC Fuller, JA Daily, A Makhmalbaf, and CD Callahan, II. 2014. "A Runtime Verification Framework for Control System Simulation." In IEEE 38th Annual Computer Software and Applications Conference (COMPSAC 2014), July 21-25, 2014, Vasteras, Sweden, pp. 78-84. IEEE, Piscataway, NJ.
- Gaustad KL, TR Shippert, BD Ermold, SJ Beus, JA Daily, A Borsholm, and KM Fox. 2014. "A Scientific Data Processing Framework for Time Series NetCDF Data." Environmental Modelling & Software 60:241-249. doi:10.1016/j.envsoft.2014.06.005
- Makhmalbaf A, JC Fuller, V Srivastava, S Ciraci, and JA Daily. 2014. "Co-Simulation of Detailed Whole Building with the Power System to Study Smart Grid Applications." In IEEE Conference on Technologies for Sustainability (SusTech 2014), July 24, 265, 2014, Portland, Oregon. IEEE, Piscatawy, NJ. doi:10.1109/SusTech.2014.7046242
- Ali N, S Krishnamoorthy, M Halappanavar, and JA Daily. 2013. "Multi-fault Tolerance for Cartesian Data Distributions." International Journal of Parallel Programming 41(3):469-493. doi:10.1007/s10766-012-0218-5
- Daily JA, and DC Berghofer. 2013. Efficient Memory Access with NumPy Global Arrays using Local Memory Access. PNNL-22620, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Fuller JC, S Ciraci, JA Daily, AR Fisher, and ML Hauer. 2013. "Communication Simulations for Power System Applications." In IEEE Workshop on Modeling and Simulation of Cyber-Physical Energy Systems (MSCPES), Co-Located with the Fourth ACM International Conference on Future Energy Systems, May 20, 2013, Berkeley, California, pp. 24-29. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers , Piscataway, NJ.
- Daily JA, S Krishnamoorthy, and A Kalyanaraman. 2012. "Towards Scalable Optimal Sequence Homology Detection." In 19th International Conference on High Performance Computing (HiPC), December 18-22, 2012, Pune, India. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Piscataway, NJ. doi:10.1109/HiPC.2012.6507523
- Villa O, A Tumeo, S Ciraci, JA Daily, and JC Fuller. 2012. "A High Performance Computing Network and System Simulator for the Power Grid: NGNS^2." In 2012 SC Companion: High Performance Computing, Networking and Analytics for the Power Grid (SCC), November 10-16, 2012, Salt Lake City, Utah, pp. 313-322. IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos, CA. doi:10.1109/SC.Companion.2012.50
- Vishnu A, JA Daily, and BJ Palmer. 2012. "Designing Scalable PGAS Communication Subsystems on Cray Gemini Interconnect." In 19th International Conference on High Performance Computing (HiPC), December 18-22, 2012, Pune, India. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers , Piscataway, NJ. doi:10.1109/HiPC.2012.6507506
- Ali N, S Krishnamoorthy, M Halappanavar, and JA Daily. 2011. "Tolerating Correlated Failures for Generalized Cartesian Distributions via Bipartite Matching." In Proceedings of the 8th ACM International Conference on Computing Frontiers (CF 2011), May 3-5, 2011, Ischia, Italy. Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY. doi:10.1145/2016604.2016649
- Daily JA, and RR Lewis. 2011. "Automatic Parallelization of Numerical Python Applications using the Global Arrays Toolkit." In Proceedings of the 2011 Companion on High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis, (SC 2011 Companion), November 12-18, Seattle, Washington, pp. 43-44. Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY. doi:10.1145/2148600.2148623
- Daily JA, and RR Lewis. 2011. "Using the Global Arrays Toolkit to Reimplement NumPy for Distributed Computation." In Python for Scientific Computing Conference (SciPy 2011), July 11-16, 2011, Austin, Texas. Enthought Inc. , Austin, TX.
- Daily JA, KL Schuchardt, and BJ Palmer. 2010. "Efficient Extraction of Regional Subsets from Massive Climate Datasets using Parallel IO." In American Geophysical Union, Fall Meeting 2010, pp. Paper No. IN41A-1360. American Geophysical Union, Washington DC.
- Daily JA. 2009. GAiN: Distributed Array Computation with Python. PNNL-18355, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Schuchardt KL, JM Chase, JA Daily, TO Elsethagen, BJ Palmer, and TD Scheibe. 2009. "Application of SALSSA Framework to the Validation of Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics Simulations of Low Reynolds Number Flows." Journal of Physics: Conference Series 180(1):Article No. 012065. doi:10.1088/1742-6596/180/1/012065
- Chase JM, KL Schuchardt, G Chin, Jr, JA Daily, and TD Scheibe. 2008. "Iterative Workflows for Numerical Simulations in Subsurface Sciences." In Proceedings of 2008 IEEE Congress on Services Part 1, pp. 461-464. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos, CA. doi:10.1109/SERVICES-1.2008.96