Physical Sciences Division
Kristin Manke serves as the communications specialist for the Physical Sciences Division in Fundamental & Computational Sciences Directorate at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory. In her role, she provides strategic counsel, messaging support and high-quality, customer-focused products. She regularly writes scientific success stories for use with clients and others. She leads the communications teams for the Institute for Integrated Catalysis and the Center for Molecular Electrocatalysis. She also serves as the editor for Frontiers in Energy Research, a national newsletter focused on the Energy Frontier Research Centers.
In the past, she has served as the communications lead on PNNL's Transformational Materials Science Initiative and the Chemical Imaging Initiative. She also led the communications effort for the Chemical Transformations Laboratory Objective.
In her more than 20 years at PNNL, she has worked extensively in the environmental science and nuclear waste cleanup arena. She has served as the Associate Communications Manager in the Environmental Technology Directorate, edited three books on radioactive waste, and co-authored journal articles on the topic. In addition, she has indexed more than a dozen books on scientific and management topics.
Education and Credentials
- Bachelors of Science, Biochemistry, Washington State University
- Minor, English, Washington State University
Affiliations and Professional Service
- American Society of Indexers, Newsletter Editor (1999-2000), Programming Chair (2001), and President (2002) of Pacific Northwest Chapter
Awards and Recognitions
- MarCom Award, 2009: "Advancing Frontiers in Science"
- Hermes Gold Award, 2007
- APEX Grand Award, 2005: "Risk Communication"
- Communicator Crystal Award, 2005: "Risk Communication"
- Communicator Crystal Award, 2004: "Hanford: A Conversation"
- Battelle Key Contributor Award, 1999: "Hanford Tank Clean Up: A Guide to Understand the Technical Issues"
- STC International Award of Distinguished Technical Communication, 1997: "Hanford Tank Clean Up: A Guide to Understand the Technical Issues"
- STC Puget Sound Chapter Award, 1996: "Tank Vapor Database Users Guide"
- Manke, KL. 2002. "The Environment, Indexes, and Federal Law," Indexers Ink: Pacific Northwest Chapter of the American Society of Indexers Newsletter, Summer 2002, p. 3.
- Lundgren, RE and KL Manke. 1999. "Coming To Closure: Bridging the Gap Between Stakeholders and Subject Matter Experts to Speed Decontamination and Decommissioning," Technology, Volume 6, pp. 453-473.
- Seesing, PR, KL Manke, and MB Birn. 1994. "An Expanded Role for Technical Communicators in Information System Design, Development, and Delivery," IPCC94 (International Professional Communications Conference), IEEE, Piscataway, New Jersey, pp 152-156.