Atmospheric Measurement & Data Sciences
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Dr. Yu graduated with a Bachelor in Science & Engineering in material sciences and engineering from Beijing Polytechnic University. She then was trained as a physical chemist and kineticist at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI. She did her postdoctoral research at Brookhaven National Laboratory. Prior to joining Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL), Dr. Yu was a staff scientist at the Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO.
Dr. Yu's research has evolved to understand interfacial phenomena at the fundamental atomic and molecular level that are relevant to the observed changes across multiple time and space scales in the environment, with implications in biological systems (e.g., biofilm and cell), aerosol, catalysis, and materials. Currently she leads the development of a novel molecular imaging tool based on microfluidics at PNNL, which has resulted in two patents. Direct in situ observations of complex liquid surfaces and liquid and solid interfaces were enabled by her unique chemical imaging techniques. She has developed new concepts in aerosol sampling. One such example is the demonstration of the fast time-resolved aerosol collector using optical tagging. Dr. Yu has led and participated in many field studies for in situ measurements of aerosols and determination of their chemical compositions and physical characteristics. In addition, Dr. Yu is the chair of the DOE chemical exposure working group; and has led the development of the chemical mixture methodology for consequence assessment of toxic health effects since 2008.
- Chemical imaging
- Interfacial reactions
- Applied toxicology
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D., Physical Chemistry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- M.S., Chemistry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- B.S. & Eng., Beijing Polytechnic University, Beijing, China
Affiliations and Professional Service
- American Vacuum Society
- American Chemical Society
- American Geophysical Union
- Sigma Xi - The Scientific Research Society, University of Michigan Chapter
Awards and Recognitions
- PNNL FCSD Staff Outstanding Performance Award for SALVI commercialization, 2015
- PNNL IP Commercialization Recognition and Reward Program for SALVI FLC award, 2015
- PI of the Federal Laboratory Consortium (FLC) Award for Excellence in Technology Transfer (Analytical Instrument): “SALVI: System for Analysis at the Liquid Vacuum Interface”, 2015
- PI of the R&D 100 Award (Analytical Instrument): “SALVI: System for Analysis at the Liquid Vacuum Interface”, 2014
- PNNL FCSD Exceptional Contributions to Program Award for SALVI innovations, 2014
- DOE Pulse Featured Scientist, http://web.ornl.gov/info/news/pulse/no418/profile.shtml, 2014
- PNNL FCSD Staff Outstanding Performance Award for leading SALVI development, 2014
- PNNL IP Commercialization Recognition and Reward Program for SALVI R&D 100 Award, 2014
- PNNL IP Commercialization Recognition and Reward Program for the issued SALVI patent, 2013
- PNNL Technology Commercialization Champions for SALVI industrial licensing, 2012
- PNNL Staff Outstanding Performance Award for the RPP-WTP M3 project, 2008
- PNNL Staff Outstanding Performance Award for the Houston Triangle Experiment, 2006
- Michigan Teaching Fellow, University of Michigan, 2000
- Graduate Student Sloan Fellow, American Sloan Foundation, 1999
- Silver Medal, Beijing University Studentsâ€™ English Contest, 1993
- Award of Excellency in Broadcasting Programs, Beijing Polytechnic University, 1992 - 1994
- Yao J, Y Zhou, X Sui, D Lao, DJ Heldebrant, Z Zhu, and XY Yu. 2016. "Switchable 1,8-diazabicycloundec-7-ene and 1-hexanol ionic liquid analyzed by liquid ToF-SIMS." Surface Science Spectra 23(1):9-28. doi:10.1116/1.4948526
- Yu J, Y Zhou, X Hua, Z Zhu, and XY Yu. 2016. "In Situ Characterization of Hydrated Proteins in Water by SALVI and ToF-SIMS ." Journal of Visualized Experiments (108):Video No. e53708. doi:10.3791/53708
- Shi H, JA Lercher, and XY Yu. 2015. "Sailing into uncharted waters: recent advances in the in situ monitoring of catalytic processes in aqueous environments." Catalysis Science & Technology 5(6):3035-3060. doi:10.1039/C4CY01720J
- Hua X, MJ Marshall, Y Xiong, X Ma, Y Zhou, AE Tucker, Z Zhu, S Liu, and XY Yu. 2015. "Two-dimensional and three-dimensional dynamic imaging of live biofilms in a microchannel by time-of-flight secondary ion mass spectrometry." Biomicrofluidics 9(3):Article No. 031101. doi:10.1063/1.4919807
- O'Brien R, B Wang, A Laskin, N Riemer, M West, Q Zhang, Y Sun, XY Yu, PA Alpert, DA Knopf, MK Gilles, and R Moffet. 2015. "Chemical Imaging of Ambient Aerosol Particles: Observational Constraints on Mixing State Parameterization." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 120(18):9591-9605. doi:10.1002/2015JD023480
- Ali HM, MJ Iedema, XY Yu, and JP Cowin. 2014. "Ionic strength dependence of the oxidation of SO2 by H2O2 in sodium chloride particles." Atmospheric Environment 89:731-738. doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2014.02.045
- Liu B, D Du, X Hua, XY Yu, and Y Lin. 2014. "Papers Based Electrochemical Biosensors: From Test Strips to Paper-Based Microfluidics." Electroanalysis 26(6):1214-1223. doi:10.1002/elan.201400036
- Liu B, XY Yu, Z Zhu, X Hua, L Yang, and Z Wang. 2014. "In situ chemical probing of the electrode-electrolyte interface by ToF-SIMS." Lab on a Chip 14(5):855-859. doi:10.1039/C3LC50971K
- Hua X, XY Yu, Z Wang, L Yang, B Liu, Z Zhu, AE Tucker, WB Chrisler, EA Hill, S Thevuthasan, Y Lin, S Liu, and MJ Marshall. 2014. "In situ molecular imaging of hydrated biofilm in a microfluidic reactor by ToF-SIMS." Analyst 139:1609-1613. doi:10.1039/C3AN02262E
- Yang L, Z Zhu, XY Yu, G Rodek, LV Saraf, S Thevuthasan, and JP Cowin. 2014. "In situ SEM and ToF-SIMS analysis of IgG conjugated gold nanoparticles at aqueous surfaces." Surface and Interface Analysis 46(4):224-228. doi:10.1002/sia.5252
- Yu XY, B Liu, and L Yang. 2013. "Imaging Liquids Using Microfluidic Cells." Microfluidics and Nanofluidics 15(6):725-744. doi:10.1007/s10404-013-1199-4
- Yu XY, KP Recknagle, and JA Glissmeyer. 2013. Assessment of the Revised 3410 Building Filtered Exhaust Stack Sampling Probe Location. PNNL-23038, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Lance S, T Raatikainen, TB Onasch, DR Worsnop, XY Yu, ML Alexander, M Stolzenberg, P McMurry, JN Smith, and A Nenes. 2013. "Aerosol mixingstate, hygroscopic growth and cloud activation efficiency during MIRAGE 2006." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 13(9):5049-5062. doi:10.5194/acp-13-5049-2013
- Leen B, XY Yu, M Gupta, DS Baer, JM Hubbe, CD Kluzek, JM Tomlinson, and MR Hubbell, II. 2013. "Fast In Situ Airborne Measurement of Ammonia Using a Mid-Infrared Off-Axis ICOS Spectrometer." Environmental Science & Technology 47(18):10446-10453. doi:10.1021/es401134u
- Levy M, R Zhang, AF Khalizov, J Zheng, DR Collins, CR Glen, Y Wang, XY Yu, W Luke, JT Jayne, and EP Olaguer. 2013. "Measurements of submicron aerosols in Houston, Texas during the 2009 SHARP field campaign." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 118(18):10,518–10,534. doi:10.1002/jgrd.50785
- Moffet RC, T Rodel, ST Kelly, XY Yu, G Carroll, JD Fast, RA Zaveri, A Laskin, and MK Gilles. 2013. "Spectro-Microscopic Measurements of Carbonaceous Aerosol Aging in Central California." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 13(20):10445-10459. doi:10.5194/acp-13-10445-2013
- Petrocchi R, DK Craig, JA Bond, DM Trott, and XY Yu. 2013. Health Code Number (HCN) Development Procedure. PNNL-22828, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Yang L, Z Zhu, XY Yu, S Thevuthasan, and JP Cowin. 2013. "Performance of a Microfluidic Device for In Situ ToF-SIMS Analysis of Selected Organic Molecules at Aqueous Surfaces." Analytical Methods 5(10):2515-2522. doi:10.1039/c3ay26513g
- Yu XY, CS Glantz, J Yao, H He, AJ Petrocchi, DK Craig, JT Ciolek, and AE Booth. 2013. "Enhancing the Chemical Mixture Methodology in Emergency Preparedness and Consequence Assessment." Toxicology 313(2-3):174-184. doi: 10.1016/j.tox.2012.10.011
- Droppo JG, Jr, and XY Yu. 2012. "Evaluation of Replacing Natural Gas Heat Plant with a Biomass Heat Plant – A Technical Review of Greenhouse Gas Emission Trade-Offs." Chapter 11 in Municipal and Industrial Waste Disposal, ed. XY Yu, pp. 231-242. InTech, Rijeka, Croatia (Local Name: Hrvatska).
- Glantz CS, XY Yu, RL Coggin, LA Ponder, AE Booth, AJ Petrocchi, SM Horn, and J Yao. 2012. Summer 2012 Testing and Analysis of the Chemical Mixture Methodology -- Part I. PNNL-21914, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Yu XY, J Yao, H He, CS Glantz, and AE Booth. 2012. Enhancing the Benefit of the Chemical Mixture Methodology: A Report on Methodology Testing and Potential Approaches for Improving Performance . PNNL-21248, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Zaveri RA, WJ Shaw, DJ Cziczo, B Schmid, R Ferrare, ML Alexander, M Alexandrov, RJ Alvarez, WP Arnott, D Atkinson, S Baidar, RM Banta, JC Barnard, J Beranek, LK Berg, FJ Brechtel, WA Brewer, JF Cahill, B Cairns, CD Cappa, D Chand, S China, JM Comstock, MK Dubey, RC Easter, Jr, MH Erickson, JD Fast, C Floerchinger, BA Flowers, E Fortner, JS Gaffney, MK Gilles, K Gorkowski, WI Gustafson, Jr, MS Gyawali, J Hair, M Hardesty, JW Harworth, SC Herndon, N Hiranuma, CA Hostetler, JM Hubbe, JT Jayne, H Jeong, BT Jobson, EI Kassianov, LI Kleinman, CD Kluzek, B Knighton, KR Kolesar, C Kuang, A Kubatova, AO Langford, A Laskin, NS Laulainen, RD Marchbanks, C Mazzoleni, F Mei, RC Moffet, DA Nelson, M Obland, H Oetjen, TB Onasch, I Ortega, M Ottaviani, MS Pekour, KA Prather, JG Radney, R Rogers, SP Sandberg, A Sedlacek, C Senff, G Senum, A Setyan, JE Shilling, MKB Shrivastava, C Song, SR Springston, R Subramanian, K Suski, JM Tomlinson, RM Volkamer, HA Wallace, J Wang, AM Weickmann, DR Worsnop, XY Yu, A Zelenyuk, and Q Zhang. 2012. "Overview of the 2010 Carbonaceous Aerosols and Radiative Effects Study (CARES)." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 12(16):7647-7687. doi:10.5194/acp-12-7647-2012
- Mioduszewski JR, XY Yu, VR Morris, CM Berkowitz, and JE Flaherty. 2011. "In-Situ Monitoring of Trace Gases in a Non-Urban Environment." Atmospheric Pollution Research 2(1):89-98. doi:10.5094/APR.2011.011
- Yu XY. 2011. "Measurements of Carbonaceous Aerosols using Semi-Continuous Thermal-Optical Method." Chapter 27 in Integrated Waste Management, vol. 1, ed. S Kumar, pp. 521-538. INTECH, Rijeka, Croatia (Local Name: Hrvatska).
- Berkowitz CM, LK Berg, XY Yu, ML Alexander, A Laskin, RA Zaveri, BT Jobson, E Andrews, and JA Ogren. 2011. "The Influence of Fog and Airmass History on Aerosol Optical, Physical and Chemical Properties at Pt. Reyes National Seashore." Atmospheric Environment 45(15):2259-2568. doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2011.02.016
- Cowin JP, X Yang, XY Yu, and MJ Iedema. 2011. "Theoretical analyses of aerosol aging on a substrate without wall-effects by a cross-flow." Open Atmospheric Science Journal 5:106-113.
- Yang L, XY Yu, Z Zhu, MJ Iedema, and JP Cowin. 2011. "Probing Liquid Surfaces under Vacuum Using SEM and TOF-SIMS." Lab on a Chip 11(15):2481-2484. doi:10.1039/C0LC00676A
- Yang L, XY Yu, Z Zhu, S Thevuthasan, and JP Cowin. 2011. "Making a Hybrid Microfluidic Platform Compatible for In Situ Imaging by Vacuum-Based Techniques." Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology A--Vacuum, Surfaces and Films 29(6):Article No. 061101. doi:10.1116/1.3654147
- Yu XY, L Yang, Z Zhu, JP Cowin, and MJ Iedema. 2011. "Probing Aqueous Surfaces by ToF-SIMS." LCGC North America (Oct 2011/Supplement S):34-38.
- Yu XY, JP Cowin, NS Laulainen, MJ Iedema, B Lefer, D Anderson, D Pernia, J Flynn, and SC Herndon. 2010. "Radical initiated secondary aerosol formation-Particle measurements during the 2009 TEXAQS." In Proceedings of the 12th Conference on Atmospheric Chemistry as part of the 90th American Meteorological Society Annual Meeting, January 16-21, 2010, Atlanta, GA. American Meteorological Society, Boston, MA.
- Bamberger JA, MS Greenwood, BD Lawler, SK Sundaram, EBK Baer, BK Hatchell, DF Hopkins, LJ Kirihara, MS Pekour, S Sande, XY Yu, and N Zuljevic. 2010. "EVALUATING CONCENTRATION PROFILES DURING UNSTEADY MIXING." In Proceedings of the ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition 2009 (IMECE2009), November 13-19, 2009, Lake Buena Vista, Florida, vol. 8, pp. 1-10. American Society of Mechanical Engineers, New York, NY.
- Yu XY, AJ Petrocchi, DK Craig, CS Glantz, DM Trott, JT Ciolek, PY Lu, JA Bond, TE Tuccinardi, and PR Bouslaugh. 2010. "The development and application of the chemical mixture methodology in analysis of potential health impacts from airborne release in emergencies." Journal of Applied Toxicology 30(6):513-524. doi:10.1002/jat.1558
- Yu XY, JP Cowin, MJ Iedema, and HM Ali. 2010. "Fast Time-Resolved Aerosol Collector: Proof of Concept." Atmospheric Measurement Techniques 3:1377-1384. doi:10.5194/amt-3-1377-2010
- Yu XY, R Cary, and NS Laulainen. 2009. "Primary and Secondary Organic Carbon Downwind of Mexico City." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 9(18):6793-6814.
- Bauer JJ, XY Yu, R Cary, NS Laulainen, and CM Berkowitz. 2009. "Characterization of the Sunset Semi-Continuous Carbon Aerosol Analyzer." Journal of the Air and Waste Management Association 59(7):826-833.
- Cross E, TB Onasch, M Canagaratna, JT Jayne, J Kimmel, XY Yu, ML Alexander, DR Worsnop, and P Davidovits. 2009. "Single particle characterization using a light scattering module coupled to a time-of-flight aerosol mass spectrometer." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 9(20):7769-7793.
- de Gouw JA, D Welsh-Bon, C Warneke, WC Kuster, ML Alexander, AK Baker, AJ Beyersdorf, DR Blake, MR Canagaratna, AT Celada, LG Huey, W Junkermann, TB Onasch, A Salcido, SJ Sjostedt, A Sullivan, DJ Tanner, L Vargas-Ortiz, RJ Weber, DR Worsnop, XY Yu, and RA Zaveri. 2009. "Emission and Chemistry of Organic Carbon in the Gas and Aerosol Phase at a Sub-Urban Site Near Mexico City in March 2006 During the MILAGRO Study." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 9(10):3425-3442.
- Fast JD, A Aiken, JD Allan, ML Alexander, T Campos, MR Canagaratna, EG Chapman, P DeCarlo, B de Foy, J Gaffney, JA de Gouw, JC Doran, L Emmons, A Hodzic, SC Herndon, LG Huey, JT Jayne, JL Jimenez, LI Kleinman, WC Kuster, NA Marley, LM Russell, C Ochoa, TB Onasch, MS Pekour, C Song, IM Ulbrich, C Warneke, D Welsh-Bon, C Wiedinmyer, DR Worsnop, XY Yu, and RA Zaveri. 2009. "Evaluating Simulated Primary Anthropogenic and Biomass Burning Organic Aerosols during MILAGRO: Implications for Assessing Treatments of Secondary Organic Aerosols." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 9(16):6191-6215.
- Meyer PA, JA Bamberger, CW Enderlin, JA Fort, BE Wells, SK Sundaram, PA Scott, MJ Minette, GL Smith, CA Burns, MS Greenwood, GP Morgen, EBK Baer, SF Snyder, M White, GF Piepel, BG Amidan, A Heredia-Langner, SA Bailey, JC Bower, KM Denslow, DE Eakin, MR Elmore, PA Gauglitz, AD Guzman, BK Hatchell, DF Hopkins, DE Hurley, MD Johnson, LJ Kirihara, BD Lawler, JS Loveland, OD Mullen, MS Pekour, TJ Peters, PJ Robinson, MS Russcher, S Sande, C Santoso, SV Shoemaker, SM Silva, DE Smith, YF Su, JJ Toth, JD Wiberg, XY Yu, and N Zuljevic. 2009. Pulse Jet Mixing Tests With Noncohesive Solids. PNNL-18098, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Mioduszewski JR, and XY Yu. 2008. "Development of an In-Situ Data Logging System for Multiple Trace Gas Analyzers." Journal of Undergraduate Research VIII:215.
- Lee T, XY Yu, B Ayres, SM Kreidenweis, WC Malm, and JL Collett, Jr. 2008. "Observations of Fine and Coarse Particle Nitrate at Several Rural Locations in the United States." Atmospheric Environment 42(11):2720-2732. doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2007.05.016
- Lee T, XY Yu, SM Kreidenweis, WC Malm, and JL Collett, Jr. 2008. "Semi-Continuous Measurement of PM2.5 Ionic Composition at Several Rural Locations in the United States." Atmospheric Environment 42(27):6655-6669. doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2008.04.023
- Doran JC, JC Barnard, WP Arnott, R Cary, RL Coulter, JD Fast, EI Kassianov, LI Kleinman, NS Laulainen, TJ Martin, GL Paredes-Miranda, MS Pekour, WJ Shaw, DF Smith, SR Springston, and XY Yu. 2007. "The T1-T2 Study: Evolution of Aerosol Properties Downwind of Mexico City." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 7(6):1585-1598.
- Song C, RA Zaveri, ML Alexander, JA Thornton, S Madronich, JV Ortega, A Zelenyuk, XY Yu, A Laskin, and AD Maughan. 2007. "Effect of Hydrophobic Primary Organic Aerosols on Secondary Organic Aerosol Formation from Ozonolysis of a-Pinene." Geophysical Research Letters 34(20):Paper # L20803. doi:10.1029/2007GL030720
- Yu XY, T Lee, B Ayres, SM Kreidenweis, WC Malm, and JL Collett, Jr. 2006. "Loss of Fine Particle Ammonium from Denuded Nylon Filters." Atmospheric Environment 40(25):4797-4807. doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2006.03.061
- Liu Y, DA MacDonald, XY Yu, SV Hering, JL Collett, Jr, and CS Henry. 2006. "Analysis of Anions in Ambient Aerosols by Microchip Capillary Electrophoresis." The Analyst 131(11):1226-1231. doi:10.1039/b608945c