Fundamental & Computational Sciences Directorate
Paul Runci is a senior research scientist at the Joint Global Change Research Institute, a collaboration between the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory and the University of Maryland. His research focuses on trends in energy R&D investment in industrialized countries, energy and environmental policy in the U.S. and Europe, and comparative international politics. Dr. Runci holds a B.A. from Boston College, an M.A.L.D. from Tufts University's Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, and a Ph.D. in political science from the University of Maryland, College Park.
- Trends in energy research and development investment in industrialized countries
- Energy and environmental policy in the U.S. and Europe
- Comparative international politics
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D., Political Science, University of Maryland, College Park
- B.A., Boston College
- M.A.L.D., Tufts University's Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy
- Hultman N, EL Malone, PJ Runci, G Carlock, and KL Anderson. 2012. "Factors in low-carbon energy transformations: Comparing nuclear and bioenergy in Brazil, Sweden, and the United States." Energy Policy 40:131-146. doi:10.1016/j.enpol.2011.08.064
- Rice JS, RH Moss, PJ Runci, KL Anderson, and EL Malone. 2012. "Incorporating Stakeholder Decision Support Needs into an Integrated Regional Earth System Model ." Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change 17(7):805-819. doi:10.1007/s11027-011-9345-3
- Malone EL, PJ Runci, and N Hultman. 2010. "Governing Technological Diffusion to Address Climate Change: Transformations in the Nuclear and Bioenergy sectors in Sweden, Brazil, and the United States." In Berlin Conference on the Human Dimensions of Global Environmental Change, October 8-9, 2010, Berlin, Germany. Environmental Policy Research Centre (FFU), Berlin, Germany.
- Rice JS, PJ Runci, RH Moss, and KL Anderson. 2010. iRESM INITIATIVE UNDERSTANDING DECISION SUPPORT NEEDS FOR CLIMATE CHANGE MITIGATION AND ADAPTATION --US Midwest Region- . PNNL-20104, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Evans M, PJ Runci, A Meier, A Delgado, TJ Secrest, and K Williams. 2009. Reference Binder: International Energy Agency Implementing Agreements and Annexes. PNNL-18992, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Evans M, A Meier, and PJ Runci. 2008. IEA Implementing Agreements and Annexes: A Guide for Building Technologies Program Managers. PNNL-17520, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Moss RH, M Babiker, S Brinkman, E Calvo, T Carter, JA Edmonds, I Elgizouli, S Emori, E Lin, K Hibbard, R Jones, M Kainuma, J Kelleher, JF Lamarque, M Manning, B Matthews, J Meehl, L Meyer, J Mitchell, N Nakicenovic, B O'Neill, R Pichs, K Riahi, S Rose, PJ Runci, R Stouffer, D VanVuuren, J Weyant, T Wilbanks, JP van Ypersele, and M Zurek. 2008. "Towards New Scenarios for Analysis of Emissions, Climate Change, Impacts, and Response Strategies." In IPCC Expert Meeting Report: Towards New Scenarios, p. 132. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Runci PJ. 2007. "Expanding the Participation of Developing Country Scientists in International Climate Change Research." Environmental Practice 9(4):225-227. doi:10.1017/S146604660707055X
- Edmonds JA, MA Wise, JJ Dooley, SH Kim, SJ Smith, PJ Runci, LE Clarke, EL Malone, and GM Stokes. 2007. Global Energy Technology Strategy: Addressing Climate Change Phase 2 Findings from an international Public-Private Sponsored Research Program. Battetlle Memorial Institute, College Park, MD.
- Runci PJ, LE Clarke, and JJ Dooley. 2006. "Energy Research (Letter)." Issues in Science and Technology XXII(3):10-11.
- Runci PJ, and JJ Dooley. 2004. "Research and Development Trends for Energy." In Encyclopedia of Energy, vol. 5, ed. Cutler J. Cleveland, pp. 443-449. Elsevier Science, Oxford , United Kingdom.
- Dooley JJ, SH Kim, and PJ Runci. 2001. "The Role of Carbon Capture, Sequestration and Emissions Trading in Achieving Short-Term Carbon Emissions Reductions." In Greenhouse Gas Control Technologies: Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Greenhouse Gas Control Technologies, ed. D. Williams, pp. 1127-1132. CSIRO, Collingwood, Australia.
- Dooley JJ, and PJ Runci. 2000. "Developing Nations, Energy R&D, and the Provision of a Planetary Public Good: A Long-term Strategy for Addressing Climate Change." Journal of Environment and Development 9(3):215-229.
- Dooley JJ, and PJ Runci. 1999. Adopting A Long View to Energy R&D and Global Climate Change. PNNL-12115, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Dooley JJ, PJ Runci, and E Luiten. 1998. Energy R&D in the Industrialized World: Retrenchment and Refocusing. PNNL-12061, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.