Data Intensive Sci Computing
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
- Smart Grid
- Network Security
- Embedded Software Engineering
- High Performance Computing and Optimization
- Java Development
Education and Credentials
- M.Sc. and Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from Stanford University, Stanford, CA.
- B.S. in Electrical and Electronics Engineering from Bilkent University, Ankara, Turkey.
Affiliations and Professional Service
- Member, IEEE.
- Gorton I, J Yin, BA Akyol, S Ciraci, T Critchlow, Y Liu, TD Gibson, S Purohit, P Sharma, and M Vlachopoulou. 2013. "GridOPTICS(TM) A Novel Software Framework for Integrating Power Grid Data Storage, Management and Analysis." In Proceedings of the 46th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS-46), January 7-10, 2013, Maui, Hawaii, ed. RH Sprague, Jr., pp. 2167 -2176. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos, CA. doi:10.1109/HICSS.2013.243
- Haack JN, S Katipamula, BA Akyol, and RG Lutes. 2013. VOLTTRON Lite: Integration Platform for the Transactional Network. PNNL-22935, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Yin J, P Sharma, I Gorton, and BA Akyol. 2013. "Large-Scale Data Challenges in Future Power Grids." In 7th International Symposium on Service Oriented System Engineering (SOSE'2013), March 25-28, 2013, Redwood City, CA, pp. 324-328. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Piscataway, NJ. doi:10.1109/SOSE.2013.71
- Akyol BA. 2012. Cyber Security Challenges in Using Cloud Computing in the Electric Utility Industry. PNNL-21724, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Ciraci S, and BA Akyol. 2012. "NetSim Steer: A Runtime Steering Framework for Network Simulators." In IEEE 20th International Symposium on Modeling, Analysis & Simulation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems (MASCOTS 2012), August 7-6, 2012, Washington DC, pp. 498-500. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos, CA. doi:10.1109/MASCOTS.2012.64
- Ciraci S, and BA Akyol. 2012. "NetSim-Steer: A Runtime Steering Framework for Network Simulators." In IEEE 20th International Symposium on Modeling, Analysis & Simulation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems (MASCOTS) August 7-9, 2012, Washington DC, pp. 498-500. IEEE Computer Society , Los Alamitos, CA. doi:10.1109/MASCOTS.2012.64
- Akyol BA, JN Haack, S Ciraci, BJ Carpenter, M Vlachopoulou, and CW Tews. 2012. "VOLTTRON: An Agent Execution Platform for the Electric Power System." In Third International Workshop on Agent Technologies for Energy Systems (ATES 2012). A workshop of the Eleventh International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems (AAMAS 2012), June 5, 2012, Valencia, Spain. International Foundation for Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems, N/A.
- Ciraci S, and BA Akyol. 2011. "An Evaluation of the Network Simulators in Large-Scale Distributed Simulations." In HiPCNA-PG '11: Proceedings of the First International Workshop on High Performance Computing Networking and Analytics for the Power Grid, November 12-18, 2011, Seattle, Washington , pp. 59-65. Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY. doi:10.1145/2096123.2096137
- Akyol BA, JN Haack, CW Tews, BJ Carpenter, AV Kulkarni, and PA Craig, Jr. 2011. " AN INTELLIGENT SENSOR FRAMEWORK FOR THE POWER GRID." In Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Energy Sustainability and 9th Fuel Cell Science, Engineering and Technology Conference, August 7-10, 2011, Washington DC, pp. Paper No. ESFuelCell2011-54619. ASME, New York, NY.
- Yin J, AV Kulkarni, S Purohit, I Gorton, and BA Akyol. 2011. "Scalable Real Time Data Management for Smart Grid." In Proceedings of the Middleware 2011 Industry Track, part of the 12th ACM/IFIP/USENIX International Middleware Conference, December 12-16, 2011, Lisbon, Portugal, p. Article No. 1. Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY. doi:10.1145/2090181.2090182
- Akyol BA, H Kirkham, SL Clements, and MD Hadley. 2010. A Survey of Wireless Communications for the Electric Power System. PNNL-19084, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.