Computational Sciences & Mathematics Division
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Dr. John R. Johnson currently is an associate division director of PNNL's computational science and mathematics division, where he leads high performance computing research for national security. Prior to joining PNNL, he was a senior technology/investment manager for the world's largest global macro hedge fund. In that role, Johnson led computational programs in portfolio construction and optimization focused on risk controls and compliance, market signals processing, netting and transaction costs, trade checks and release for execution, FX and Treasury hedging, and options.
Before that, Johnson was a research program manager with the Center for Applied Scientific Computing at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), where he led multiple programs exploring novel and emerging computing architectures and progressive algorithms for data-intensive applications of relevance to the national security community. As part of the DOE's Accelerated Strategic Computing Initiative, he was the CS technical lead for a massively parallel, high-fidelity physics simulation project at LLNL, earning a DOE Weapons Recognition of Excellence Award. Johnson also led projects in climate modeling and simulation as part of LLNL's Program for Climate Model Diagnosis and Intercomparison.
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D., Computational Science, University of Chicago
- M.S., Computer Science, Johns Hopkins University
- B.A., Mathematics, University of California, Berkeley
Awards and Recognitions
- Department of Energy Weapons Recognition of Excellence Award
- Johnson JR, III, and EA Hogan. 2013. "A Graph Analytic Metric for Mitigating Advanced Persistent Threat." In IEEE International Conference on Intelligence and Security Informatics (ISI 2013), June 4-7, 2013, Seattle, Washington, pp. 129-133. IEEE, Piscataway, NJ. doi:10.1109/ISI.2013.6578801
- Halappanavar M, S Choudhury, EA Hogan, PSY Hui, JR Johnson, III, I Ray, and LB Holder. 2013. "Towards A Network-of-Networks Framework for Cyber Security." In IEEE Intelligence and Security Informatics, June 4-7, 2013, Seattle, Washington, pp. 106-108. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Piscataway, NJ. doi:10.1109/ISI.2013.6578796
- Olsen BK, JR Johnson, III, and TJ Critchlow. 2011. "Data Intensive Architecture for Scalable Cyber Analytics ." In Proceedings of the 2011 IEEE International Conference on Technologies of Homeland Security, November 15-17, 2011, Waltham, Massachusetts, pp. 390-395. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), Piscataway, NJ. doi:10.1109/THS.2011.6107901
- Olsen BK, JR Johnson, III, and TJ Critchlow. 2011. "Data Intensive Architecture for Scalable Cyber Analytics." In IEEE International Conference on Technologies for Homeland Security (HST 2011), November 15-17, 2011, Waltham, MA. IEEE, Piscataway, NJ. doi:10.1109/THS.2011.6107901