High Performance Computing
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Dr. Márquez is a computer and compiler architect who has worked on the design and development of the German Supercomputers Suprenum and MANNA, on design studies for the Hybrid Technology and MultiThreaded (HTMT) technology funded by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), National Security Agency (NSA), and Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) and on academic multithreaded projects such as the Efficient Architecture for Running Threads (EARTH) and the Compiler Aided Reorder Engine (CARE).
- Dr. Márquez is the technical manager of the Energy Smart Data Center (ESDC) project that investigates the potential of cooling computing platforms with aerosols. His interests also include emerging architectures and compiler technologies that can be leveraged for the HPC domain such as field-programmable gate arrays (FPGAs), Graphics Processing Units (GPUs), Application Service Processors (ASPs), and novel interconnects and exotic computing technologies.
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D., Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Delaware, 2004
- M.S., Electrical Engineering, Technical University of Berlin, 1990
Affiliations and Professional Service
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc. (IEEE)
- Shrestha S, GR Gao, JB Manzano Franco, A Marquez, and JT Feo. 2015. "Locality Aware Concurrent Start for Stencil Applications." In IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Code Generation and Optimization (CGO 2015), February 7-11, 2015, San Francisco, California, pp. 157-166. IEEE , Piscataway, NJ. doi:10.1109/CGO.2015.7054196
- Marquez A, JB Manzano Franco, S Song, B Meister, S Shrestha, T St. John, and GR Gao. 2014. "ACDT: Architected Composite Data Types Trading-in Unfettered Data Access for Improved Execution." In The 20th IEEE International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Systems (ICPADS 2014), December 16-19, 2015, Hsinchu, Taiwan, pp. 289-297. IEEE, Piscataway, NJ. doi:10.1109/PADSW.2014.7097820
- You Y, S Song, H Fu, A Marquez, M Mehri Dehanavi, KJ Barker, K Cameron, A Randles, and G Yang. 2014. "MIC-SVM: Designing A Highly Efficient Support Vector Machine For Advanced Modern Multi-Core and Many-Core Architectures." In IEEE 28th International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS 2014), May 19-23, 2014, Phoenix, Arizona, pp. 809-818. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos, CA. doi:10.1109/IPDPS.2014.88
- Vishnu A, S Song, A Marquez, KJ Barker, DJ Kerbyson, K Cameron, and P Balaji. 2013. "Designing Energy Efficient Communication Runtime Systems: A View from PGAS Models." Journal of Supercomputing 63(3):691-709 . doi:10.1007/s11227-011-0699-9
- Evans J, G Sandeep, K Karavanic, A Marquez, and G Varsamopoulos. 2012. "Evaluating Performance, Power, and Cooling in High Performance Computing (HPC) Data Centers ." In Handbook of Energy-Aware and Green Computing, ed. I Ahmad and S Ranka. Chapman and Hall/CRC, Boca Raton, FL.
- Minnich RG, CL Janssen, S Krishnamoorthy, A Marquez, M Gokhale, P Sadayappan, E Van Hensbergen, J McKie, and J Appavoo. 2011. "Fault Oblivious eXascale Whitepaper." In Proceedings of the 1st International Workshop on Runtime and Operating Systems for Supercomputers (ROSS 2011), held in conjunction with the 25th International Conference on Supercomputing, May 31, 2011, Tucson, Arizona, ed. K Iskra and T Hoefler, pp. 17-24. Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY. doi:10.1145/1988796.1988800
- Vishnu A, S Song, A Marquez, KJ Barker, DJ Kerbyson, K Cameron, and P Balaji. 2010. "Designing Energy Efficient Communication Runtime Systems for Data Centric Programming Models." In IEEE/ACM Internationall Conference on Green Computing and Communications (GreenCom 2010) and the International Conference on Cyber, Physical and Social Computing (CPSCom 2010), December 18-20, 2010, Hangzhou, China, ed. P Zhu, et al, pp. 229-236. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc., Piscatawy, NJ. doi:10.1109/GreenCom-CPSCom.2010.133
- Chavarría-Miranda D, and A Marquez. 2007. "Assessing the Potential of Hybrid HPC Systems for Scientific Applications: a case study." In Proceedings of the 4th ACM International Conference on Computing Frontiers, May 7-9, 2007, Ischia, Italy, pp. 173-182. ACM Press, New York, NY. doi:10.1145/1242531.1242558
- Cader T, L Westra, and A Marquez. 2007. "Technologies for the Energy Efficient Data Center." In Proceedings of ASME InterPACK '07 (IPACK2007) July 8-12, 2007, Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA, p. 12 pages . ASME International, New York, NY.