High Performance Computing
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Dr. Márquez is a computer and compiler architect who has worked on the design and development of the German Supercomputers Suprenum and MANNA, on design studies for the Hybrid Technology and MultiThreaded (HTMT) technology funded by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), National Security Agency (NSA), and Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) and on academic multithreaded projects such as the Efficient Architecture for Running Threads (EARTH) and the Compiler Aided Reorder Engine (CARE).
- Dr. Márquez is the technical manager of the Energy Smart Data Center (ESDC) project that investigates the potential of cooling computing platforms with aerosols. His interests also include emerging architectures and compiler technologies that can be leveraged for the HPC domain such as field-programmable gate arrays (FPGAs), Graphics Processing Units (GPUs), Application Service Processors (ASPs), and novel interconnects and exotic computing technologies.
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D., Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Delaware, 2004
- M.S., Electrical Engineering, Technical University of Berlin, 1990
Affiliations and Professional Service
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc. (IEEE)
- Shrestha S, JB Manzano Franco, A Marquez, S Zuckerman, S Song, and GR Gao. 2015. "Gregarious Data Re-structuring in a Many Core Architecture." In IEEE 17th International Conference on High Performance Computing and Communications (HPCC), 2015 IEEE 7th International Symposium on Cyberspace Safety and Security (CSS), 2015 IEEE 12th International Conference on Embedded Software and Systems (ICESS), August 24-26, 2015, New York, pp. 712-720. IEEE, Piscataway, NJ. doi:10.1109/HPCC-CSS-ICESS.2015.291
- Shrestha S, GR Gao, JB Manzano Franco, A Marquez, and JT Feo. 2015. "Locality Aware Concurrent Start for Stencil Applications." In IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Code Generation and Optimization (CGO 2015), February 7-11, 2015, San Francisco, California, pp. 157-166. IEEE , Piscataway, NJ. doi:10.1109/CGO.2015.7054196
- Shrestha S, JB Manzano Franco, A Marquez, JT Feo, and GR Gao. 2015. "Jagged Tiling for Intra-tile Parallelism and Fine-Grain Multithreading." In Languages and Compilers for Parallel Computing: 27th International Workshop (LCPC 2014), September 15-17, 2014, Hillsboro, Oregon. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 8967, ed. J Brodman and P Tu, pp. 161-175. Springer , New York, NY. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-17473-0_11
- You Y, H Fu, S Song, A Randles, DJ Kerbyson, A Marquez, G Yang, and A Hoisie. 2015. "Scaling Support Vector Machines On Modern HPC Platforms." Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing 76:16-31. doi:10.1016/j.jpdc.2014.09.005
- Marquez A, JB Manzano Franco, S Song, B Meister, S Shrestha, T St. John, and GR Gao. 2014. "ACDT: Architected Composite Data Types Trading-in Unfettered Data Access for Improved Execution." In The 20th IEEE International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Systems (ICPADS 2014), December 16-19, 2015, Hsinchu, Taiwan, pp. 289-297. IEEE, Piscataway, NJ. doi:10.1109/PADSW.2014.7097820
- You Y, S Song, H Fu, A Marquez, M Mehri Dehanavi, KJ Barker, K Cameron, A Randles, and G Yang. 2014. "MIC-SVM: Designing A Highly Efficient Support Vector Machine For Advanced Modern Multi-Core and Many-Core Architectures." In IEEE 28th International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS 2014), May 19-23, 2014, Phoenix, Arizona, pp. 809-818. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos, CA. doi:10.1109/IPDPS.2014.88
- Sego LH, A Marquez, A Rawson, T Cader, KM Fox, WI Gustafson, Jr, and CJ Mundy. 2013. "Implementing the Data Center Energy Productivity Metric in a High Performance Computing Data Center." Chapter 4 in Design Technologies for Green and Sustainable Computing Systems, ed. PP Pande, A Ganguly and K Chakrabarty, pp. 93-116. Springer, New York, NY.
- Vishnu A, S Song, A Marquez, KJ Barker, DJ Kerbyson, K Cameron, and P Balaji. 2013. "Designing Energy Efficient Communication Runtime Systems: A View from PGAS Models." Journal of Supercomputing 63(3):691-709 . doi:10.1007/s11227-011-0699-9
- Chin G, Jr, A Marquez, S Choudhury, and JT Feo. 2012. "Scalable Triadic Analysis of Large-Scale Graphs: Multi-Core vs. Multi-Processor vs. Multi-Threaded Shared Memory Architectures." In Proceedings of the 2012 IEEE 24th International Symposium on Computer Architecture and High Performance Computing, (SBAC-PAD) October 24-26, 2012, New York, NY, pp. 163-170. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos, CA. doi:10.1109/SBAC-PAD.2012.39
- Evans J, G Sandeep, K Karavanic, A Marquez, and G Varsamopoulos. 2012. "Evaluating Performance, Power, and Cooling in High Performance Computing (HPC) Data Centers ." In Handbook of Energy-Aware and Green Computing, ed. I Ahmad and S Ranka. Chapman and Hall/CRC, Boca Raton, FL.
- Sego LH, A Marquez, A Rawson, T Cader, KM Fox, WI Gustafson, Jr, and CJ Mundy. 2012. "Implementing the Data Center Energy Productivity Metric." ACM Journal on Emerging Technologies in Computing Systems 8(4):Article No. 30. doi:10.1145/2367736.2367741
- Shrestha S, CY Su, AM White, JB Manzano Franco, A Marquez, and JT Feo. 2012. "MODA A Framework for Memory Centric Performance Characterization." In Workshop on High-performance Infrastructure for Scalable Tools (WHIST), June 29, 2012, Venice, Italy. Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY.
- Chin G, Jr, S Choudhury, LJ Kangas, SA McFarlane, and A Marquez. 2011. "Evaluating In-Clique and Topological Parallelism Strategies for Junction Tree-Based Bayesian Inference Algorithm on the Cray XMT." In Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Processing Workshops and Phd Forum (IPDPSW 2011), May 16-20, 2011, Anchorage, Alaska, pp. 1710-1719. IEEE, Piscataway, NJ. doi:10.1109/IPDPS.2011.328
- Minnich RG, CL Janssen, S Krishnamoorthy, A Marquez, M Gokhale, P Sadayappan, E Van Hensbergen, J McKie, and J Appavoo. 2011. "Fault Oblivious eXascale Whitepaper." In Proceedings of the 1st International Workshop on Runtime and Operating Systems for Supercomputers (ROSS 2011), held in conjunction with the 25th International Conference on Supercomputing, May 31, 2011, Tucson, Arizona, ed. K Iskra and T Hoefler, pp. 17-24. Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY. doi:10.1145/1988796.1988800
- Chin G, Jr, S Choudhury, LJ Kangas, SA McFarlane, and A Marquez. 2010. "Fault Detection in Distributed Climate Sensor Networks using Dynamic Bayesian Networks." In Proceedings of the 6th IEEE International Conference on e-Science (e-Science 2010), December 7-10, 2010, Brisbane, Australia, pp. 121-128. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos, CA. doi:10.1109/eScience.2010.22
- Shah AR, JN Adkins, DJ Baxter, WR Cannon, D Chavarría-Miranda, S Choudhury, I Gorton, DK Gracio, TD Halter, N Jaitly, JR Johnson, RT Kouzes, MC Macduff, A Marquez, ME Monroe, CS Oehmen, WA Pike, C Scherrer, O Villa, BJM Webb-Robertson, PD Whitney, and N Zuljevic. 2010. "Applications in Data-Intensive Computing." In Advances in Computers, vol. 79, ed. M Zelkowitz, pp. 1-70. Academic Press Inc., San Diego, CA.
- Vishnu A, S Song, A Marquez, KJ Barker, DJ Kerbyson, K Cameron, and P Balaji. 2010. "Designing Energy Efficient Communication Runtime Systems for Data Centric Programming Models." In IEEE/ACM Internationall Conference on Green Computing and Communications (GreenCom 2010) and the International Conference on Cyber, Physical and Social Computing (CPSCom 2010), December 18-20, 2010, Hangzhou, China, ed. P Zhu, et al, pp. 229-236. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc., Piscatawy, NJ. doi:10.1109/GreenCom-CPSCom.2010.133
- Chin G, Jr, A Marquez, S Choudhury, and K Maschhoff. 2009. "Implementing and Evaluating Multithreaded Triad Census Algorithms on the Cray XMT." In IEEE International Symposium on Parallel & Distributed Processing (IPDPS 2009), May 25-29, Rome, Italy. IEEE, Piscataway, NJ. doi:10.1109/IPDPS.2009.5161109
- Cader T, V Sorell,, L Westra, and A Marquez. 2009. "Liquid Cooling in Data Centers." ASHRAE Transactions 115(pt. 1):231-241.
- Scherrer C, TR Shippert, and A Marquez. 2009. "Accelerating Numerical Calculation on the Cray XMT." In Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Parallel & Distributed Processing (IPDPS 2009), May 23-29, 2009, Rome, Italy. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos, CA.
- Sisk DR, MA Khaleel, A Marquez, DD Hatley, T Cader, and RR Schmidt. 2009. "Real-time Data Center Energy Efficiency At Pacific Northwest National Laboratory." ASHRAE Transactions 115(Part I):242-253.
- Tuma P, A Marquez, LH Sego, R Schmidt, and T Cader. 2009. "Energy Efficient and Sustainable HPC at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory ." In Laboratories for the 21st Century (Labs21) Annual Conference, September 16-18, 2008, San Jose, California. International Institute for Sustainable Laboratories, Arlington, VA.
- Villa O, D Chavarría-Miranda, V Gurumoorthi, A Marquez, and S Krishnamoorthy. 2009. "Effects of floating-point non-associativity on numerical computations on massively multithreaded systems." In Cray User Group Meeting (CUG 2009), May 4-7, 2009, Atlanta, Georgia. Cray User Group, Inc., Corvallis, OR.
- Nieplocha J, D Chavarría-Miranda, V Tipparaju, Z Huang, and A Marquez. 2008. "A parallel WLS state estimator on shared memory computers." In Proceedings of The 8th International Power Engineering Conference, IPEC 2007, pp. 395-400. IEEE , Piscataway, NJ.
- Beckman MT, and A Marquez. 2008. "PNNL streamlines energy-guzzling computers." DOE Pulse 272(October 6, 2008):2.
- Chavarría-Miranda D, A Marquez, J Nieplocha, KJ Maschhoff, and C Scherrer. 2008. "Early Experience with Out-of-Core Applications on the Cray XMT." In IEEE International Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Processing, IPDPS 2008. , pp. 2379-2386. IEEE , Piscataway, NJ. doi:10.1109/IPDPS.2008.4536360
- Chavarría-Miranda D, DK Gracio, A Marquez, J Nieplocha, C Scherrer, and HJ Sofia. 2008. "Cray XMT Brings New Energy to High-Performance Computing." SciDAC Review Fall 2008(9):36-41.
- Nieplocha J, A Marquez, F Petrini, and D Chavarría-Miranda. 2007. "Unconventional Architectures for High-Throughput Sciences." SciDAC Review (5, Fall 2007):46-50.
- Cader T, L Westra, and A Marquez. 2007. "Technologies for the Energy Efficient Data Center." In Proceedings of ASME InterPACK '07 (IPACK2007) July 8-12, 2007, Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA, p. 12 pages . ASME International, New York, NY.
- Cader T, LJ Westra, A Marquez, HJ Mcallister, and KM Regimbal. 2007. "Performance of a Rack of Liquid-Cooled Servers." ASHRAE Transactions 113(Part 1):101-114.
- Chavarría-Miranda D, and A Marquez. 2007. "Assessing the Potential of Hybrid HPC Systems for Scientific Applications: a case study." In Proceedings of the 4th ACM International Conference on Computing Frontiers, May 7-9, 2007, Ischia, Italy, pp. 173-182. ACM Press, New York, NY. doi:10.1145/1242531.1242558
- Nieplocha J, A Marquez, J Feo, D Chavarría-Miranda, G Chin, Jr, C Scherrer, and N Beagley. 2007. "Evaluating the potential of multithreaded platforms for irregular scientific computations." In Proceedings of 4th ACM International Conference on Computing Frontiers, May 7-9, 2007, Ischia, Italy, pp. 47 - 58. ACM Press, New York, NY. doi:10.1145/1242531.1242541
- Nieplocha J, A Marquez, J Feo, D Chavarría-Miranda, G Chin, Jr, C Scherrer, and N Beagley. 2007. "Evaluating the Potential of Multithreaded Platforms for Irregular Scientific Computations." In Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Computing Frontiers, Ischia, Italy, May 07 - 09, 2007, pp. 47-58. ACM Press, New York, NY.
- Scherrer C, N Beagley, J Nieplocha, A Marquez, J Feo, and D Chavarría-Miranda. 2007. "Probability Convergence in a Multithreaded Counting Application." In Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS 2007), pp. 1-5. IEEE , Piscataway, NY. doi:10.1109/IPDPS.2007.370688
- Nieplocha J, A Marquez, V Tipparaju, D Chavarría-Miranda, RT Guttromson, and Z Huang. 2006. "Towards Efficient Parallel State Estimation Solvers on Shared Memory Computers." In Highspeed Computation Panel of the Proceedings of the 2006 IEEE Power Engineering Society General Meeting, 18-22 June 2006 , pp. 1-5. IEEE , Piscataway, NJ.