Integrated Human-Earth SS Team
Gokul Iyer's research broadly focuses on the intersection of international climate change mitigation, technology and policy. Dr. Iyer's current research portfolio includes regional modeling of the U.S. energy system and investigating multiple societal objectives such as climate change, air quality, energy security and food security in an integrated framework. His recent research has focused on using integrated assessment models to investigate technological change, the long-term benefits of near-term investments in technology and investment risks in the energy sector.
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D., Environmental Policy, University of Maryland, USA.
- Master of Technology, Energy Systems Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay, India.
- Bachelor of Technology, Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology, Nagpur, India.
- Fawcett A, GC Iyer, LE Clarke, JA Edmonds, N Hultman, HC McJeon, J Rogelj, R Schuler, J Alsalam, GR Asrar, J Creason, M Jeong, J McFarland, A Mundra, and W Shi. 2015. "Can Paris pledges avert severe climate change?" Science 350(6265):1168-1169 . doi:10.1126/science.aad5761
- Iyer GC, JA Edmonds, AA Fawcett, N Hultman, J Alsalam, GR Asrar, KV Calvin, LE Clarke, J Creason, M Jeong, J McFarland, A Mundra, PL Patel, W Shi, and HC McJeon. 2015. "The contribution of Paris to limit global warming to 2 °C." Environmental Research Letters 10(12):Article No. 125002. doi:10.1088/1748-9326/10/12/125002
- Iyer GC, LE Clarke, JA Edmonds, BP Flannery, N Hultman, HC McJeon, and D Victor. 2015. "Improved Representation of Investment Decisions in Assessments of CO2 Mitigation." Nature Climate Change 5(5):436-440. doi:10.1038/nclimate2553
- Iyer GC, LE Clarke, JA Edmonds, N Hultman, and HC McJeon. 2015. "Long-term payoffs of near-term low-carbon deployment policies." Energy Policy 86:493-505. doi:10.1016/j.enpol.2015.08.004
- Iyer GC, N Hultman, J Eom, HC McJeon, PL Patel, and LE Clarke. 2015. "Diffusion of low-carbon technologies and the feasibility of long-term climate targets." Technological Forecasting and Social Change 90(Part A):103-118. doi:10.1016/j.techfore.2013.08.025
- Iyer GC, N Hultman, S Fetter, and SH Kim. 2014. "Implications of Small Modular Reactors for Climate Change Mitigation." Energy Economics 45:144-154. doi:10.1016/j.eneco.2014.06.023