Earth Systems Analysis & Modeling
Jennie Rice is a senior research scientist with a background in decision sciences, economics, and systems engineering. She joined PNNL in 2009 with twenty years of private and public sector experience providing scientific leadership and project management for the development of quantitative decision support methods and tools for environmental and economic risk management. Her experience includes climate change mitigation and adaptation, electric utility planning and operations, water resource management, weather risk management, urban and land use planning, waste management, and public health.
She is currently leading the scientific integration and numerical experiments for the Platform for Regional Integrated Modeling and Analysis (PRIMA). The framework couples a dynamically downscaled regional climate model with a regional integrated assessment model and highly spatially resolved models of hydrology, demography, crop productivity, land use, water management, energy demand, and electricity infrastructure siting and operations. PRIMA simulates the interactions, conflicts, and synergies between energy policy, economic growth, demographic change, future climate, and regional decisions about land use, energy systems, and water management. In the numerical experiments, her research focuses on developing stakeholder decision-focused uncertainty characterization methods and processes for evaluating regional mitigation and adaptation alternatives.
- Uncertainty Characterization
- Decision Analysis and Risk Analysis
- Natural Resource Management
- Sustainability Planning
- Influence Diagrams
Education and Credentials
- M.S., Management Science and Engineering, Stanford University
- B.A., Values, Technology, Science and Society with Honors in Humanities, Stanford University
- de Bremond A, B Preston, and JS Rice. 2014. "Improving the Usability of Integrated Assessment for Adaptation Practice: Insights from the U.S. Southeast Energy Sector." Environmental Science & Policy 42:45-55. doi:10.1016/j.envsci.2014.05.004
- Scott MJ, DS Daly, JE Hathaway, CS Lansing, Y Liu, HC McJeon, RH Moss, PL Patel, MJ Peterson, JS Rice, and Y Zhou. 2014. Calculating Impacts of Energy Standards on Energy Demand in U.S. Buildings under Uncertainty with an Integrated Assessment Model: Technical Background Data. PNNL-23918, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Scott MJ, DS Daly, Y Zhou, JS Rice, PL Patel, HC McJeon, GP Kyle, SH Kim, J Eom, and LE Clarke. 2014. "Evaluating sub-national building-energy efficiency policy options under uncertainty: Efficient sensitivity testing of alternative climate, technolgical, and socioeconomic futures in a regional intergrated-assessment model. ." Energy Economics 43(2014):22-33. doi:10.1016/j.eneco.2014.01.012
- Zhou Y, LE Clarke, J Eom, GP Kyle, PL Patel, SH Kim, JA Dirks, EA Jensen, Y Liu, JS Rice, LC Schmidt, and TE Seiple. 2014. "Modeling the effect of climate change on U.S. state-level buildings energy demands in an integrated assessment framework." Applied Energy 113:1077-1088. doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2013.08.034
- Yang Z, T Wang, LYR Leung, KA Hibbard, AC Janetos, IP Kraucunas, JS Rice, B Preston, and T Wilbanks. 2013. "A modeling study of coastal inundation induced by storm surge, sea-level rise, and subsidence in the Gulf of Mexico." Natural Hazards 71(3):1771-1794. doi:10.1007/s11069-013-0974-6
- Rice JS, RH Moss, PJ Runci, KL Anderson, and EL Malone. 2012. "Incorporating Stakeholder Decision Support Needs into an Integrated Regional Earth System Model ." Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change 17(7):805-819. doi:10.1007/s11027-011-9345-3
- Skaggs R, KA Hibbard, P Frumhoff, T Lowry, R Middleton, R Pate, VC Tidwell, JG Arnold, K Averyt, AC Janetos, RC Izaurralde, JS Rice, and SK Rose. 2012. Climate and Energy-Water-Land System Interactions Technical Report to the U.S. Department of Energy in Support of the National Climate Assessment. PNNL-21185, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Unwin SD, RH Moss, JS Rice, and MJ Scott. 2011. Characterizing Uncertainty for Regional Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation Decisions. PNNL-20788, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Rice JS, PJ Runci, RH Moss, and KL Anderson. 2010. iRESM INITIATIVE UNDERSTANDING DECISION SUPPORT NEEDS FOR CLIMATE CHANGE MITIGATION AND ADAPTATION --US Midwest Region- . PNNL-20104, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.