PNNL has formed strategic partnerships with universities where joint appointments are used to advance science on a global scale. Current formal partnerships include:
- The Joint Global Change Research Institute (JGCRI), located at the University of Maryland, houses an interdisciplinary team dedicated to understanding the problems of global climate change and their potential solutions.
- The Northwest Institute for Advanced Computing is a joint endeavor of PNNL and the University of Washington that combines the expertise housed in these two institutions to advance the role of computing in scientific discovery and engineering practice. Research areas of particular interest include advanced computing systems; modeling, simulation and design; and data-driven science and discovery.
- The OHSU-PNNL Northwest CoLaboratory for Integrated Omics between Oregon Health & Science University and PNNL features reciprocal joint appointments of its leading scientists, shared postdoc positions, collaborative grant submissions and increased access to each institution's unique omics capabilities.
- The Microproducts Breakthrough Institute (MBI), collaboratively managed with Oregon State University, is committed to the development of micro- and nano-technologies for sustainable energy and healthy environments.
- The Bioproducts, Sciences, and Engineering Laboratory (BSEL) is a partnership with Washington State University whereby researchers teams are coming together to create biofuels, new chemicals and bioproducts that will reduce our nation's dependence upon oil.